Enclosed trailer setup for ice fishing: Let's see what you've done

• Jamin
    Hudson, WI

My very tolerant FW looked the other way when I told her I wanted to buy a small enclosed utility trailer. Found a 6×12 single axle aluminum at a price I was happy with since I was taking a less desirable color off their lot.

I’m thinking about running some e-track in the front v to hold my 40V auger and other miscellaneous items. Then pack the ATV upfront and slide my flipover in sideways behind the ATV. Maybe some rod racks on the walls or other helpful items (bins, hooks, spare, etc).

Would like to see what people have done to set up the inside of their enclosed trailers for packing and organizing.

Maybe James or crew could chime in with what they have found to work best to save the rest of us some time.

I picked up some of that Rust-Oleum Epoxyshield floor paint today and plan to line the floor and walls tomorrow to protect the plywood from moisture and give myself a less slick surface.

Attachments:
    1. A28DF538-824C-406C-96FB-0B4196B1A8E5.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

If it’s only going to be used to haul the wheeler and house then I’d try to keep as much as you can attached to the wheeler. That way it’s (for the most part) unload/load and go. The less items you have to load and unload into your machine the more time you’ll have fishing and the less stuff forgotten in the vehicle.

Now, if you’re going to make it a shelter as well I’ve got a list.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Good point, munchy!

So really probably just a spare tire and some misc bins/baskets for catching tie down straps and other little things. Maybe some hooks for hanging wet/snowy gear on the drive home to keep it out of the truck.

My goal is to leave this thing as set and ready as possible so I can hook up weekday afternoons and just go. Not waste time loading things. Hit the ice. Fish. Drive home and park and unload wet gear.

Still playing it all out in my head. May take a few trips to get it dialed.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I love the versatility of e track. I’ll see if I can track down some pics to post.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

That would be great. Can’t beat the versatility. I could swap out e-track accessories for home project duty or even hunting trips. Just want to make sure I mount it in the most versatile places and heights.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

2 e tracks on the floor. 1 or 2 on the walls around the majority of the trailer.

Get a couple adjustable load locks and you can use those to make adjustable decking and/or hang gear on. They also make load locks that connect to e track.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I bought a trailer like that with hopes of putting holes in it and fishing out of it….but I don’t like how far it us off the ice so use it more as a base station warming house for the wife and kids. I had a couple windows put in so it doesn’t seem like you are locked in a closet. I haven’t done anything to the inside yet but need to, I want to insulate at some point. 1 e-track on the floor lined up with the left or right side and the tire net straps on that side work good and are fast for loading and unloading.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

2 e tracks on the floor. 1 or 2 on the walls around the majority of the trailer.

Get a couple adjustable load locks and you can use those to make adjustable decking and/or hang gear on. They also make load locks that connect to e track.

Good suggestions, Matt! Next spring I may run some e track down the sides about halfway up the walls so that I can run 2×4 across and create a shelf for cargo purposes. Thinking some 4×8 sheets would tuck up there nicely.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

A lot of guys use these for hauling wheelers and sleds in the UPL circuit. I’ve heard that getting the underside special coated to protect from salt corrosion is a must.
    I haven’t made the jump yet to an enclosed trailer,(still using an aluminum Beartrack) but plan to soon. Being able to stick a buddy heater in there and warm a wheeler up if it doesn’t start after a cold commute to the lake sounds like a handy thing to have.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Matt, good to know. Also one of the reasons I splurged a little extra and ended up buying an all aluminum trailer. Figured since it will see the most use during winters and it may not get washed for a few weeks at a time going aluminum wasn’t a bad idea.

I painted the walls and flooring with a epoxy paint this past weekend to hopefully extend the life of the plywood and OSB. Added some anti-slip compound to the paint before doing the floors and now it has a nice slightly grippy texture to hopefully keep me from falling on my butt this winter. We’ll see how well it all holds up to tire chains later in the season.

E-track is getting delivered today. Now to figure out the most useful height to mount it on the walls.

Attachments:
    1. DB537EEC-F645-4EF9-A9F5-D7F6B8219E1A.jpeg

2. 14A085F1-4737-4867-8E68-43B173C41773.jpeg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

First set of e-track up. Plan to use for hanging tie down straps and likely a small basket as a catch all. Also likely some hooks for hanging wet outerwear for the drive home.

Anyone with input in where to put the spare? I’m thinking of mounting up against the wall in the v vertically but supported by the floor. I’ve seen some hang up high on the side wall but I’m not sure I like the idea of head clearance or the dynamic load of it hanging up there.

Attachments:
    1. CC02E633-4DC8-4BDA-AD55-6AEBF3947CC4.jpeg

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I will get some pics of mine, I have the spare hanging on the wall just before the V starts. I used an E track mount.

I also built a shelf across the V high enough to get the wheeler under it. I mounted 2 J hooks on the opposite wall between the V and the small door to hang my auger on. I also painted the floor with black undercoating. It’s held up ok so far

Looking to put some holes in the floor with catch covers and add 2 fold up beds on the side walls.

Wish I had windows. How had is it to install windows? Triton all aluminum 16 ft including the V and 6.5’ wide.

munchy
    NULL

Wish I had windows. How had is it to install windows?

Added two to mine. Cut the opening to fit with a jigsaw, cleaned up the surfaces with alcohol, installed 3M VHB tape all around the window lip and carefully stuck it in place. Then siliconed around the edge.

I’m sure I probably should have framed around the window openings to stiffen it up, but its been 3 years and still holding strong.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

James had a video i watched last year on how they decked out his new trailer. Maybe a quick YouTube search would bring that back up

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

James had a video i watched last year on how they decked out his new trailer. Maybe a quick YouTube search would bring that back up

Funny, it just showed up in my YouTube recommendations yesterday.

Linking here for anyone that comes across this thread in the future.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Have any of you cut holes in your solid axle trailer to fish out of?

munchy
    NULL

Have any of you cut holes in your solid axle trailer to fish out of?

Yup

onestout
    Hudson, WI

How far up off the ice are you? How is it bringing fish up the hole?

munchy
    NULL

How far up off the ice are you? How is it bringing fish up the hole?

I have 18″ hole sleeves, don’t remember if I cut them down or not, but they are perfect length.

Mainly just use them for rattle reels at night, but I’ve brought plenty of 20+” mille Lacs walleye up with not much of an issue.

The biggest issue with them is they freeze up very easy because they are so far from the heat. I put a small fan aimed in each hole and bank up the sleeves as high as I can.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I could not see 7 k for a ice castle so I bought a 6×12 with barn door style back doors and insulated it and wired.installed Windows then put in paneling installed lights and plug ins. 4 catch covers also. Put a heater. On the wall with built in thermostat works great at -40 then hired a guy from cannon falls to change the axle and put on drop axle and tongue $3300 invested

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I could not see 7 k for a ice castle so I bought a 6×12 with barn door style back doors and insulated it and wired.installed Windows then put in paneling installed lights and plug ins. 4 catch covers also. Put a heater. On the wall with built in thermostat works great at -40 then hired a guy from cannon falls to change the axle and put on drop axle and tongue $3300 invested

Really. That is awesome to know. Do you have any pictures ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.