Emergency Truck Traction Devices that are NOT Tire Chains?

• usmarine0352

I’m not talking about tire chains.

I’m wondering what are some of the best emergency tire devices to get unstuck when in snow.

I know that there are at least devices that go on your tires and some are traction devices that go on the ground.

What are some of the best Emergency Traction Devices that are NOT Tire Chains?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221217_231811.jpg

2. Screenshot_20221217_231247.jpg

Ripjiggen

A shovel and a lot of swearing.

pbitschura

Carry a bucket of sand mixed with coarse salt. It might even provide enough ballast to give you traction before you get stuck.

tim hurley

Lightweight kitty litter, buy the stuff in a jug. Works well I have helped a few people with it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Kitty litter. Got buried this morning wanting to park on opposite side of the field. Let alone, kitty litter saved me and a shovel. Got to sweaty in the process. Sat in bow stand for 1.5 hours. Then this -3 set in. I just walked out. Hoping not to get stuck again

Sylvanboat

I put these in my Explorer when driving on the ice. Kitty litter also works well

Attachments:
    1. 44529172-B4FF-45C5-BD5E-59BC69A9CD45.jpeg

Cam White

Insta-traction as mentioned above.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Tree branches.

Cam White

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cam White wrote:</div>
    Insta-traction as mentioned above.

Have you used these with success?

Yep. Work very well. My boss even bought a couple sets for our semis to try out.

milemark_714

Sand socks filled with fine pea gravel.

Aboxy17

I have heard good things about these and am thinking of ordering some. Got stuck one too many times last year.

MX1825

I have heard good things about these and am thinking of ordering some. Got stuck one too many times last year.

Check around. I see these online anywhere from $35 to $150.

usmarine0352

Even if $170 they pay for themselves if you use them 1 time because that’s what a tow costs to get unstuck.

usmarine0352

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aboxy17 wrote:</div>

Check around. I see these online anywhere from $35 to $150.

Where do you see them for $35?

Got a link?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

As I was sliding into the river Saturday I realized I had forgotten to pack my shovel and chisel for the winter months… so the windshield ice scraper was to the rescue!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Shovel and a Hemi is still undefeated for me. whistling jester chased

ekruger01

I run Maxtrax, always have a set in the truck, and have the minis for the quad. They have saved my butt more than once in mud and snow. You can get cheaper variants from fleet farm.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I keep all of the following in the back of my truck through Winter:

1. 5 gallon bucket of wood ash (offers some immediate traction, also helps melt ice rapidly with dark color and grit while not damaging stuff). We spread this on our 1200′ gravel driveway after driving down all the small snowfalls. It beats plowing constantly after you get windrows going and still provides traction.

2. tow strap and shackle

3. recovery boards (~cheapest $75 set on Amazon)

4. shovel

I probably get “stuck” 3-4 times a winter myself pushing the limits and have always been able to get myself out. I’ve helped get 2 small suvs out of the ditch this year without using a shovel using the things listed above as well.

27eyeguy

Hate to be “That guy”, but why not tire chains? I get that they are a pain and must be used sensibly, but very hard to beat in some cases. Mine go in my truck pretty early into the snowy season along with a snow shovel. Dirt shovel, small telescoping shovel, medium axe, good tug strap n clevices, 12v air compressor, n lots of other goodies never leave my truck. 3 things I learned hunting out West in the winter, carry chains always, temporarily airing tires down increases traction, and lastly n most importantly—use your head. Set of chains n aired down tires are very hard to beat in icy conditions, but these newer trucks are not very accommodating for chains, a good 12v air compressor is a good investment.

B-man

I just carry sand, but if I’m really stuck a ratchet strap itself will work in a pinch (only have had to do it twice in my life)

Put the ratchet itself right onto the tread of the tire and cinch it down.

There’s a 50/50 chance it’s junk once you’re out (might have to cut it off), but it works and only costs $10-20 if you break it.

27eyeguy

I have heard the ratchet strap works. If my tire chains could talk—well I don’t have that much beer left, they have miles on them. Few times I probably didn’t use my head.

usmarine0352

Hate to be “That guy”, but why not tire chains? I get that they are a pain and must be used sensibly, but very hard to beat in some cases. Mine go in my truck pretty early into the snowy season along with a snow shovel. Dirt shovel, small telescoping shovel, medium axe, good tug strap n clevices, 12v air compressor, n lots of other goodies never leave my truck. 3 things I learned hunting out West in the winter, carry chains always, temporarily airing tires down increases traction, and lastly n most importantly—use your head. Set of chains n aired down tires are very hard to beat in icy conditions, but these newer trucks are not very accommodating for chains, a good 12v air compressor is a good investment.

Because I don’t own a truck and have to borrow my bros or someone else’s if I borrow a shack.

Everyone has different size tires and some guys have oversize tires.

These fit most average trucks and I can bring them with me no matter whose truck I’m using.

I went with these instead of the boards because they take up much less space.

Also, got the 4 pack so I can our them on all 4 tires or 2 one 1 truck and 2 on a truck pulling me out if need be.

May still buy some boards.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221219_224413.jpg

27eyeguy

Gotcha. Please report back how those work out if you use them. I would consider them for my good truck.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>27eyeguy wrote:</div>

Because I don’t own a truck and have to borrow my bros or someone else’s if I borrow a shack.

Everyone has different size tires and some guys have oversize tires.

These fit most average trucks and I can bring them with me no matter whose truck I’m using.

I went with these instead of the boards because they are take up much less space.

Also, got the 4 pack so I can our them on all 4 tires or 2 one 1 truck and 2 on a truck pulling me out if need be.

I have chains for my truck but based on this thread I purchased two like the ones you did, but then I bought 2 of the Instatraction chains as well. I thought the steel gripper on the Instatraction might be better when I’m stuck on ice. I hope I never have to use either of them!

tim hurley

The Ice Show is always a great place to see new tech-anyway this guy showed me a foot long thing that could be dropped into a 10” hole. Pulling on it the thing would grab onto the underside of the hole then you could winch your vehicle onto better traction- he said that usually when you are stuck you are only a foot away from where the traction is good. Does that sound good? Have not been stuck in a while but got stuck bad once in Canada with 3 other vehicles-we got out, but it was not good.

B-man

The Ice Show is always a great place to see new tech-anyway this guy showed me a foot long thing that could be dropped into a 10” hole. Pulling on it the thing would grab onto the underside of the hole then you could winch your vehicle onto better traction- he said that usually when you are stuck you are only a foot away from where the traction is good. Does that sound good? Have not been stuck in a while but got stuck bad once in Canada with 3 other vehicles-we got out, but it was not good.

I’ve never tried this since it don’t have a winch on my truck, but I believe a 6×6 timber (5.5×5.5″ nominal) fits into an 8″ hole.

Again, never tried it myself, but according to my math it would work (with the hypotenuse of a 5.5″ timber being 7.78″)

I always have a high lift jack in my truck, and know you can use them for winching, but have never tried that either.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t see to many winches on trucks these days, but like bmann said a 4×4 or 6×6 timber works in that case. And a few other products I’ve seen. But for as being a 1ft away from traction then I guess it depends where your stuck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.