Bite in Ely

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Walleye have been eating well both pre and post spawn this week. Most fish are found between 20-26 feet during the day and migrating into 16 and under around 7pm. Many lakes have not completed their spawn cycle, so there have been a lot of fat females brought up lately
    Water temps yesterday were hanging around 44 degrees at the surface on the Farm Lake / White Iron Lake chain, while Snowbank Lake still had about 30-40% ice cover.
    The walleye have been preferring slow presentations, so spoons tipped with a minnow head or jigs and shiners have been the best producers. My best luck has been on UV green tiger and orange tiger moon eye jigs in 1/4 oz. This big-headed beauty came on the orange tiger tipped with a 3″ Shiner in 22 feet.

Pike should be migrating into shallow bays this week with the temperatures on the rise. Some of the old timers like to sit on shallow bays with a big bobber and a 10″ sucker waiting for a 50″ gator to swim by, but I plan on using Original Floaters in the florescent red/gold pattern or firetiger to trigger some big pike action. Crappie are still out in about 18-22 feet on the bottom or suspended up to 8 feet, and the perch have been pretty exclusive to 7-10 feet on northern rocky shores.
    Lake Trout are likely to be found between 4-40 fow on rocky points and islands. Husky Jerks, Original Floaters, Rippin Raps, and silver/pick’a’color spoons will be some of your best patterns.
    Water levels are really high right now and Kawishiwi Falls is absolutely roaring. For area info feel free to send me a PM any time.
    -Ben

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Sorry to whomever messaged me with a question about Agnes, I accidentally deleted it meaning to hit reply. Please try again.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s a great looking eye, Ben! Thanks for the update. I’m still hoping I can get up to Basswood this spring to chase pike. Any word on that bite?

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

This is all good news to me because I will be up there camping this next weekend! glad the fish are biting and thanks for the good info. 1/4 bucktails tipped with minnows have been producing down here by duluth for me. Maybe we can sneak out for some walleyes next weekend when im up there, ill have my boat with me so u can jump in and just fish.

kfrj01
    woodbury,mn

Hey Ben do you ever fish as far south as Island lake near Duluth? I will be fishing it memorial weekend and I am looking for advice. Never been on the lake so anything helps,east or west basin,minnows,depth.Thanks in advance.

kfrj01
    woodbury,mn

Hey Ben do you ever fish as far south as Island lake near Duluth? I will be fishing it memorial weekend and I am looking for advice. Never been on the lake so anything helps,east or west basin,minnows,depth.Thanks in advance.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

That’s a great looking eye, Ben! Thanks for the update. I’m still hoping I can get up to Basswood this spring to chase pike. Any word on that bite?

I’m keeping my ear to the grindstone with the basswood bite, as far as I know the pike haven’t moved into the shallow bays yet. My honest bet is by Wednesday this week after we get a few warmer days the pike should start moving in shallow, I feel that by the weekend the bite should be on.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

This is all good news to me because I will be up there camping this next weekend! glad the fish are biting and thanks for the good info. 1/4 bucktails tipped with minnows have been producing down here by duluth for me. Maybe we can sneak out for some walleyes next weekend when im up there, ill have my boat with me so u can jump in and just fish.

Hit me up bud, you know I’m down!

Quote:

Hey Ben do you ever fish as far south as Island lake near Duluth?

I haven’t Pro V; Mike have you every fished Island Lake Reservoir?

kfrj01
    woodbury,mn

Thanks Ben, I guess there is only one way to find out.

Sly man
    NULL

Great info, heading up to Birch lake for Memorial Day weekend!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the update, Ben. Let me know if things start to click with those pike please.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.