The Boundary Waters a multi-species paradise!

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I went into the good ol’ BWCA yesterday and once again she did not disappoint! The target was big slabs, chasing that 16 incher. After hand drilling a few holes and checking depths I started out in 18 feet of tannic stained water in the morning rain. First fish was an 8″ Perch, but there was a larger mark still on the Marcum so I dropped back down and convinced the fat 12″ Jumbo to bite my 1/12oz green tiger uv Tumbler. I had my noodle in a rod holder about 15 feet away, dead-sticking a pugbug with a small crappie minnow hooked through the back. I missed several bites on the deadstick, but the action was almost non-stop, so I got a lot of exercise running between holes. After bringing up a few jumbos I found some slabs in 20 feet and began drilling a line around and through the hole that topped off at 24 feet deep. Once the rain stopped the bite got tough; it was still cloudy, not the greatest for stained water, but I knew a clearer sky was coming so I took what fish I could get until the sky cleared. That’s when all hell broke loose, no sooner had the sun began to warm me back up the bite went crazy! It started with a 12.5″ slab on my spoon, while my dead stick started slowly bending over about 30 feet away. I got to the line with the fish still on and pulled up a giant 11″ Gill! After releasing the monster, I hopped back to the hole I got the giant slab out of and started drilling another hole next to it and by the time I finished drilling the hole I iced 3 more slabs around 11″! Within 10 minutes I had a herd of 11″ clones on the ice! So all in all I caught about 20-25 crappies, 1 big sunfish, over 30 walleye(largest was 18″), about a dozen perch(5 jumbos)and 1 scrawny pike. Another day in paradise!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Holy cats. That’s amazing. Solid outing. Great post. If you ever need a net guy, let me know.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Sounds like you need an automatic fisherman or tipdown for that deadstick.

Man, you’re living the dream.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

Holy cats. That’s amazing. Solid outing. Great post. If you ever need a net guy, let me know.

If you come up and I end up being the one holding the net the whole time, it’ll still be a great day fishing; so bring your rods up anytime and just give me a shout in advance so I can let you know my schedule.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

That gill is a toad!

I hope she makes it at least 1 more year, I want to catch her when she hits the golden 12! The battle scars she had were ridiculous! One tough fish, that’s for sure.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Wow that was a fantastic day. You should be a couple pounds lighter after your workout.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Now i would say that was an awesome day on the ice!!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I have a bit of Gill envy going right now… !WOW! I need to find my way up there some time to get some big gills and slabs congrats man and keep on Puten-em topside

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.