Electric Filet Knife Q’s

• KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KwickStick wrote:</div>
    With an electric fillet knife do you always cut through the ribs with it?

yes

Thanks

I bought my first electric yesterday. Fleet Farm has the Rapala Heavy Duty corded model on sale for $49.95 and I had a $10 off coupon to burn.

AK Guy

Always a learning curve with an electric. My advice to people who are new to them, once you start with the cut, don’t stop. You can make hamburger pretty quick if your blade is stationary.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run a Rapala corded version that was one of the first out and it has served its purpose. The original reviews on the battery ones were underwhelming, but I may need to give them another look now if they’ve truly improved.

CaptainMusky

Always a learning curve with an electric. My advice to people who are new to them, once you start with the cut, don’t stop. You can make hamburger pretty quick if your blade is stationary.

Good advice.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

The only thing lacking with this HD corded Rapala is some sort of sheath to safely store the blades.

Gregg Gunter

Question for those who have used these. Do you replace or resharpen the blades? How long do they last when sharp? Thinking about possible issues if you were off the grid or got into a bind with dull blades. Thanks

CaptainMusky

Question for those who have used these. Do you replace or resharpen the blades? How long do they last when sharp? Thinking about possible issues if you were off the grid or got into a bind with dull blades. Thanks

The Rapala Lithium I had the blades lasted fairly long, but once they have been resharpened they dont last as long. A buddy of mine would sharpen them for me with a round hone. I dont clean a ton of fish, probably at most 50 per year and its been nowhere near that the last few years. Having said that a new blade would last me multiple seasons, but once they were resharpened it would need to be resharpened a couple times per year. Typically I would always carry two blades.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The kit comes with a small and large size so I have owned it for 2 years and it cuts like new from what I can tell.

Gregg Gunter

Replacing the blades seems to be the solution. I spent a week in Canada in August. One of the guys liked to fillet with a corded knife and he kept a backup blade.

Umy
    South Metro

THat’s why I bought an extra set. They hold an edge for a long time but for ten bucks it was worth the peace of mind. THey are sharp out of the package so be careful

B-man

I actually don’t mind duller blades, especially with panfish. It’s really easy to cut through the backbone with a fresh set waytogo

mojo

To anybody who’s looking for a deal. Amazon just dropped the price on the Pro Bubba EFK with the brushless motor to $134.99. Not many items have a 5 star review rating at Amazon, but the Bubba electric fillet knives do. The non-brushless version has 5 star rating also, and is only $104.99 right now.

I’ve been very satisfied with my corded EFK, but eliminating the cord and gaining some power, would make it nearly perfect.

Merry Christmas to everyone at IDO!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.