Eelpout Festival is dead

• AnotherFisherman

Looks like Eelpout is done for. Have never been, but have heard countless stories. I’ve also seen the aftermath. I think a lot of this is trash related. Looks like a dump out on the ice.

https://www.eelpoutfestival.com/

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! bawling

maddogg

Nothing spoils a good thing as quick as disrespecting idiots.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

That’s a shame. I bet it won’t be long before the county starts to shut down the accesses on Red after reading the garbage and human waste problems. Once again the “pigs” are spoiling it for everyone. I made years 2-10 and it was bad then. That’s a HUGE economic hit for the Walker area.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Sounds like they were trying to move it to land. I thought they got approval for road closures to hold the festival there but something most have have stopped it. Bummer. I bet many still carry on the tradition.

B-man

I’ll never understand what is so hard about picking up after yourself…..

I even shake my head leaving a stadium after a game.

Just because you paid $10 for those nachos or beer cans doesn’t mean it’s someone else’s job to pick it up.

MNdrifter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! bawling

What are you going to change your username too?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Never been to it, but what I foresee happening is a large group shows up and has an unofficial Eelpout Festival/party on the ice. Without the proper waste management, porta-potties, etc., the ice will be as messy as before, and the city will lose some economic money. A lose lose situation for lots of parties involved.

milemark_714

I’ll never understand what is so hard about picking up after yourself…..

Way too many simply don’t understand the concept of”if it came with you,then take it back”.Many boat landings don’t have trash cans because nothing is sold there like packaged goods.

Obviously many of those probably had their mother pick-up after them?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

“Angler formerly known as eelpoutguy”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MNdrifter wrote:</div>

“Angler formerly known as eelpoutguy”

i thought maybe rosy from roosevelt !!!!!!!!!!! waytogo

A_Dub

Too bad for all those that took care of their garbage – maybe a learning experience for the rest?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Too bad for all those that took care of their garbage – maybe a learning experience for the rest?

It’s 2020 not the stone age. If anybody was gonna learn anything they would have done so by now. What we have learned is pigs are pigs and once away from momma they can’t can’t do the proper things.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Never been to it, but what I foresee happening is a large group shows up and has an unofficial Eelpout Festival/party on the ice. Without the proper waste management, porta-potties, etc., the ice will be as messy as before, and the city will lose some economic money. A lose lose situation for lots of parties involved.

Word or maybe (rumor) is that Chase on the Lake is planning something still.

Probably know more soon…stay tuned.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Having been there for the last couple and seeing what the lake looks like after the crowds are gone. I’m honestly surprised it lasted this long. The disrespect people showed for the lake was unbelievable. I never saw so much non fishing related trash.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Good riddance. applause

I’m not against some type of sponsored/organized gathering on-land, but no longer doing it on the lake is a very positive thing in my opinion.

B-man

Good riddance. applause

I’m not against some type of sponsored/organized gathering on-land, but no longer doing it on the lake is a very positive thing in my opinion.

I’ve never been to it, but if it’s as bad as it sounds I’m glad it’s over too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Over the years the ice hasn’t been thick or safe enough to support heavy trucks either so the Sheriff would declare a “vehicle” ban. Participation would drop by half. And since almost everyone wanted to come with their trucks and wheel houses so they could go out there and get drunk, no one wanted to take the time to haul a side by side or walk out there and get lodging in town. Obviously there’s a strong correlation with the amount of trash left behind and the laziness involved.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Good riddance. applause

just for the sake of a discussion…….is that your opinion of ice fishing contests also????????

and the reason i ask is most contests benefit something. but the end result of garbage could be the same, not maybe near as bad but……….

tim hurley

People should just show up and party anyway-The Stergis motorcycle rally could not just be ‘cancelled’ you could announce it but cycle dudes would not listen
    (not a criticism, don’t burn my house down) and just show up and party anyway.Course walking out would be no fun.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Good riddance. applause

just for the sake of a discussion…….is that your opinion of ice fishing contests also????????

and the reason i ask is most contests benefit something. but the end result of garbage could be the same, not maybe near as bad but……….

If a large quantity of trash is left behind on a body of water and it’s not economical to police or clean up after others the way it should be done, then yes…my opinion would be the same for that particular contest.

I have fished some contests and tournaments on both ice and open water throughout the years and had a good time doing so. However, as soon as the resources are put in jeopardy (excessive harvest, vulnerable fish populations, pollution, etc)…I’ll be the first to speak out against them. There are a few tournaments run on my home waters of Pool 4 each summer that I completely disagree with the format and timing of, and have shared my opinions regarding those as well.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

yes just like Carp Fest….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d bet we see Eelpout Fest moving to Lake Bemidji or a similar area in the near future…

I agree the trash is unacceptable, but LOTW and even We Fest have found ways to reduce and deal with that. There’s too much money for a community to make to let it go over some trash that can be dealt with.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Bummer. I only went once years ago when there was the vehicle ban (and a huge police presence) and it didn’t seem too bad. I wonder if they committed to a no vehicle eelpout if it could have survived.

I also agree, get a festival grade trash company – that was the biggest problem from what i heard.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Good riddance. applause

If a large quantity of trash is left behind on a body of water and it’s not economical to police or clean up after others the way it should be done, then yes…my opinion would be the same for that particular contest.

I have fished some contests and tournaments on both ice and open water throughout the years and had a good time doing so. However, as soon as the resources are put in jeopardy (excessive harvest, vulnerable fish populations, pollution, etc)…I’ll be the first to speak out against them. There are a few tournaments run on my home waters of Pool 4 each summer that I completely disagree with the format and timing of, and have shared my opinions regarding those as well.

peace peace waytogo gotcha….and i agree.

AnotherFisherman

I’d bet we see Eelpout Fest moving to Lake Bemidji or a similar area in the near future…

I agree the trash is unacceptable, but LOTW and even We Fest have found ways to reduce and deal with that. There’s too much money for a community to make to let it go over some trash that can be dealt with.

100% agree on the second part. That is way to much money on the table from “outsiders” for the Walker area. As also mentioned above, I’m sure something will still occur this year, just not the official festival.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I also agree, get a festival grade trash company – that was the biggest problem from what i heard.

It sounds like it stretched beyond the promoters capabilities and control.

From their press release…

“Because we are the only permit holder required to supply services and clean up, and are not allowed to control the lake, the economics no longer work.”

Other “stuff” I’ve been hearing is that the trash and other problems were away from the event area or where it was being held. In other words, trash was dumped well beyond what the event should or could get out and clean up after.

Or so they say… crazy

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

“Fisherman formerly known as eelpoutguy” does have a nice ring to it.LOL!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.