Editing Prarie rats videos…….so much fun

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just got back from Colorado and Wyoming with 12 and a half hours of of rat kills to edit through. Nothing like frame by frame on the 60″ screen

Attachments:
    1. 20160914_115654.jpg

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Could you hear him say OUCH.! Lol. . I have never had a chance to do that. But I sure would like to.!!! . . How much ammo did you go thru.? … rrr

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Looks like the “hurt” hit him before he even knew it doah

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Literally looks like the half-second before his eyes burst out blood, nice.

Iowaboy1

I just have to ask,was any tannerite used?? devil

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How much ammo did you go thru.? … rrr

3 shooters total 4,750 rounds. I accounted for 2800 of that. I shot my 22-250’s, Brother n Law Paul shot his ‘250, and friend Jesse had a 17HMR. This year, we all called our shots, witnessed each other’s hits, and logged them. Paul and I had days we were shooting above 80% inside of 400yrds. Jesse was struggling with the HMR over 200. Most days we went out were blowing hard. Our last day was sustained upper 30’s with gusts over 60mph.

Our kill ratio
    Paul 950 rounds / 613 hits (mostly high percentage shots inside of 400yrds)
    Me & Olivia – 2800 rounds / 1897 hits ( If I was able to read the wind well, I just reached out there. No sense in having ammo and live targets and not using it)
    Jesse – 1000 rounds / 342 hits – and a bunch of ?????

Few Highlights
    Paul took a double at just over 600yrds

Jesse walked up about 12 rounds on one to pop it in the head at 520yrds and 30+mph winds

I took a triple at 480 yrds with a 20 mph crosswind
    and made my longest shot on a P/dog at 1,100 yrds

I forgot I can’t load video clips directly. Here is a pic to put in perspective what 2000 yrds of rat colony looks like. Going to the left, the shrubs at the creek bed almost straight down the hill was 390+ yrds. The white wall of the small canyon is over 1000

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8922.jpg

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Well no wonder you are DEAF.! LOL.!! Thanks for the stats. Hitting your targets at those distances with winds like you had. AWESOME SHOOTING.! … rrr

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking forward to the videos.

I love the Boom-Whop. Varmint shooting is tops on my yearly to-do list.

Post some vids when you can.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

RRR you want to go next summer? I’ve been wanting to go for years but been kinda busy…

Sounds like I should leave my HMR at home.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That HMR is fun for close range popping and no wind. If ;your on an uneducated colony, no problem. If the rats have been shot on a few times, you’ll need to be able to reach out there a ways

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Don’t do it. In fact, I’m buying an HMR for p-dogs. I think there’s a gap in my battery of rifles for p dogs that the HMR will fill very nicely:

– Several times we’ve had large towns we weren’t able to shoot because they are close to stock or buildings and we were concerned about the noise from centerfires scaring livestock.

– In towns that have been shot, the HMR would be a great rifle to quietly pick off the close ones before bringing out the big boomers. IME a .22 rimfire lets you shoot for quite a long time at close dogs without putting the dogs in the 200+ range down the hole for good. The problem was that a .22 rimfire has a very limited range and was just flat enough. The HMR will be perfect for filling the gap from 0 to 150 in most conditions and 200 in good conditions I hope.

– I’m at the outer limits of the centerfire ammo I can reload for each summer’s varmint expedition without some major equipment upgrades. Rimfire ammo is shoot it and forget it and doesn’t add to the reloading burden.

Wind is the bane of all shooting on the plains and no rifle beats the system when it come to wind. I wouldn’t leave an HMR at home if I had one.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Randy,

What do you use for a range finder? I need something reliable out to great distance. Congrats on some great shots! Doubles are fun but a triple? Sweet!

BK,

What Grouse said. An HMR is an effective tool at closer range. I’ve recently fired a .17WSM. Ballistics state that you can double the range with them and the sound is more akin to a .22WMR but I’ve used that one too without any additional repercussion so I’m taking the 17 WSM next time I go. Cost of the ammo is more if you shop Fleet Farm but over the internet, deals can be found where it’s actually cheaper per round than the HMR. It’s up to you if you want to reinvest in something or not but I wouldn’t leave the HMR at home.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My BIL has an old Zeiss Optical that we use at his range. OLD clunker, by accurate!

Played with the new Athlon line and love them. I’m buying the 1000 model as soon as they are released this winter for myself

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.