Eating Walleye at a Restaurant

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You ever do it? I have always been adamant that I won’t. I catch my own, cool my own, eat my own. Won’t pay for it.

Then tonight, it looked good at a local place so I broke my own rule. Was damn good so now I’m rethinking all my life choices.

Coletrain27

every once in a while i will. one thing i dont ever care to order anymore is ribs at a restraunt. every time i have ive been disapointed and remind myself i can cook way better ribs than that at home ha

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m with you all the way. I’d bet you’ll get over it and go back to your “rule” like I did. Rules are meant to be broken, after all.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve always felt the same way with fish that can be caught in MN lakes & rivers, I can do the same damn thing so why pay a big mark-up for it. The only exception was walleye I had at a place in Duluth that had some sliced almond crust or something.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Let down ordering walleye from anywhere expecting it be as good as fresh caught. Fresh, deep fried, boneless eyes/crappies/sunnies with tobasco green sauce is the bomb.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

so why pay a big mark-up for it.

I wish that was the case. I probably blew $150 on my opener a took not a single walleye home. doah

Dan
    Southeast MN

Haha you make a good point there!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I see the walleye behind the glass in grocery stores and it looks as unappetizing as a fish could be, not to mention $20/lb. I prefer my fish bled, cut, and cooked asap.

bigpike

I would never get walleye out but…..

There is a dive bar in the middle of the federal out by me. Wintergreen is the name on Wintergreen lake no less. Get there early or late on Friday only as the place is very small with limited seating. Flat top seared walleye is huge with homemade sides. Pricey but very good and very big fillets.

Come back on Saturday as they serve fresh burgers on same said flat top. Get it with fresh shroons and swiss. OMG. Once again, they only serve it Saturday.

Once in awhile they do steaks on Sunday. You need to sign up for this as they are limited in quantity. They get the steaks from a local butcher. Well you know the rest of the story…..

Wintergreen is on the ATV and snowmobile trail, you can even drive to it I suppose. They know how to make walleye…….

Cameron white

Most of the walleye in your restaurants comes from lake Winnipeg.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Not just fish that I won’t order out. Same with smoked meats/BBQ and steaks. I only order what I don’t normally cook myself.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Seeing as how I’m strickly a bass fisherman, I eat walleye at restaurants quite frequently and if a walleye sandwich is on the menu I’ll go for that. Has to have a good pickle though.
    Tuff to beat a good pan seared walleye filet with a veg medley and a cold beer.

Musky Ed

Now you went and did it Eelpout, that’s all that I can think about now.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

My rationale for not ordering walleye at restaurants is more so related to how bad most restaurants prepare it. It has always been some overly doughey breading. I usually cook it much better.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have never eaten fish at a restaurant. Kinda same reason you said. I also feel like what I catch clean and cook is way better. Even tho I never tried it.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I am 58 years old. I lived on a lake my whole life. I have never had a fish fry at a restaurant.

OH…I have had a Filet o Fish sammy at Hardees or Culvers (on a Friday during lent) a few times when I was a working guy on the road a lot. Does that count?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

A nephew of mine worked at a high end restaurant for a while. He claimed that a high percentage of the walleye served in restaurants was actually zander. He said it was imported to Canada where they could legally package it as walleye then ship it to the US.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have only eaten walleye that the restaurant provides a couple of times. But many times I will bring in the fish I caught and have the restaurant deep fry it. For restaurant food, I usually order something I don’t make at home.

Brad Dimond

Rarely eat walleye unless it is fish I caught and had the restaurant cook. On the hand, a perch fish fry at a Wisconsin supper club is a classic and nearly always enjoyable. In-laws north of Milwaukee have several local taverns that provide an outstanding Friday night fish fry. Also hit a few places in the Ripon/Green Lake area that provide good fish fries. However, only do the fish fry if it is perch.

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve always wanted to order walleye just to try out different ways of making it than I do in order to get ideas. However, try as hard as I might, most of the time when I sit down at a restaurant, I go towards the burger or other red meat because it’s going to fill me up more. And I love beef.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I also like trying walleye at a higher end restaurant to see what they do with it, and get ideas for myself

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t usually order fish in a restaurant unless it’s a saltwater fish like flounder, cod, or swordfish. I did have a whitefish sandwich once at Curlys Pub inside Lambeau Field and it was phenomenal. Went down great with a cold spotted cow.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I also like trying walleye at a higher end restaurant to see what they do with it, and get ideas for myself

BINGO!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have only eaten walleye that the restaurant provides a couple of times. But many times I will bring in the fish I caught and have the restaurant deep fry it. For restaurant food, I usually order something I don’t make at home.

Flag Island resort has some of the best fried walleye I’ve ever had. That’s a great place to catch yourself and have them fry em up. I asked for the coating they use and they wouldn’t tell me.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

You guys clearly have never been to a Wisconsin Friday night fish fry. Plus no kitchen mess

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Rarely eat walleye unless it is fish I caught and had the restaurant cook. On the hand, a perch fish fry at a Wisconsin supper club is a classic and nearly always enjoyable. In-laws north of Milwaukee have several local taverns that provide an outstanding Friday night fish fry. Also hit a few places in the Ripon/Green Lake area that provide good fish fries. However, only do the fish fry if it is perch.

Between Fondo and Oshkosh Wendy’s Bar best perch ever and you can order it any day.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Walleye? No.

Saltwater fish? Whole nother story bring it on…

iowa_josh

The correct answer is shrimp.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i have fresh walleye an hour away so maybe done it a few times in 30 years incidentally? I doubt I will ever order it again in my next 30 years.

Deuces

Everytime I ordered it I was disappointed, therefore over the years after enough disappointment it doesn’t get ordered much anymore.

I’d honestly love to enjoy it at a restaurant like many reasons posted above.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.