Early Spring Rainy Trip

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Hope you didnt pay for that slip up front. Typically, the river isnt open to sportmans that early. We got a slip from them back in ’12 and couldnt use it because of everyone docking to eat and use the bathroom.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

X2. Even if it is open shore ice will have the docks locked up.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

And if it is usable, there is enough boat traffic that I worry about the boat wakes constantly pushing my boat into the dock damaging it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

OK, good to know…. We didn’t pay for the slip yet. I was thinking there would be guys out sturgeon fishing in front of Sportsmans…. but maybe they are just up-river a bit? Gonna be a learning experience for sure…..

blank

I think you’d be very lucky if the river is even open in town for that weekend. That’s a long way to go in 2 weeks.

Here’s a link to the public accesses for reference for any Rainy River newbies:
    https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/boat-access/

lindyrig79

Plus next week does look cold. Should still be a couple access open upstream, right? Birchdale area and nearby?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Here’s a link to the public accesses for reference for any Rainy River newbies:
    https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/boat-access/

This is a great link! Agree, you may have shore to shore ice out on Wheelers. But even if you do, it can go from locked in to wide open in a matter of a couple days.

-J.

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

There’s some open water in front of Franz Jevne but lots of shore ice. Only ramps that are open are up by International Falls.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve seen it go 10 miles in a day and I’ve seen it go backwards in April. No guarantees. Pray for sun. That is the biggest factor for ice off.

lindyrig79

yes hoping for some sun and melting the next two weeks

lindyrig79

Been doing my research and, tactics wise, everything has been jigs. Is there ever a situation where casting crankbaits work (or another presentation)? Just doing my packing list and wondering if I should even bring the cranks. Thanks

blank

Been doing my research and, tactics wise, everything has been jigs. Is there ever a situation where casting crankbaits work (or another presentation)? Just doing my packing list and wondering if I should even bring the cranks. Thanks

Pulling Rapalas on a 3-way rig can be very effective up there. Al Lindner has done a couple of videos up there doing that.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Pulling Rapalas on a 3-way rig can be very effective up there. Al Lindner has done a couple of videos up there doing that.

Don’t leave the lead core at home either.

Carl S

what about blade baits and rippin raps?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

what about blade baits and rippin raps?

Yup, they work. But expect to lose quite a few. Not really worth it when plastics work better. I lost probably 6 or 8 of them last year.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just saw that the county plowed out Birchdale landing, so it begins…

lindyrig79

The extended forecast looks quite cold. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to make sure your boat doesn’t get damaged from freezing temps overnight? bilge, livewell, anything else where water might freeze?

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

This Birchdale forcast doesn’t look good. No temps over freezing for a week.

Attachments:
    1. Birchbale.jpg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I hope this keeps the Forks locked up until after the season closes.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I hope this keeps the Forks locked up until after the season closes.

It’s looking pretty good to me. Keep your fingers crossed that there’s no huge warmup after the extended forecast.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

With the extended forecast, what are the chances of Birchdale not being usable by the end of next week? Do rivers like this easily freeze up again?

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

With the extended forecast, what are the chances of Birchdale not being usable by the end of next week? Do rivers like this easily freeze up again?

There will be enough activity that it will be open, so the chances of unusable would be slim to none.

basseyes

Anybody know if they plow out the campground or if it will be useable before the season closes?

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

The extended forecast looks quite cold. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to make sure your boat doesn’t get damaged from freezing temps overnight? bilge, livewell, anything else where water might freeze?

You can plug the intake to your livewell at the transom to keep water from sitting in the hose and freezing when the boats out of the water. When you pull the boat out tilt the motor all the way down until all the water runs out. I fish the Mississippi all winter and have never had a problem.

lindyrig79

Thanks Joe. Seems like a dumb question probably just trying to think through all the angles and avoid any problems.

Just cancelled the slip at Sportsmans…. sounds like it will be totally iced over around there still by next week. And… getting a little nervous about that cold of forecast. Was initially picturing fishing on a nice Spring day! (above freezing anyway!) doah

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

We went up there 2 years ago for my bachelor party, never got above 20, most mornings were zero, still a lot of fun! Lots of icicles on the boat!

lindyrig79

With the late Spring, any thoughts if walleyes will still be in the river on opener May 12th?

Do guys ever fish the river on opener? Or have they typically moved back out to LOTW by then?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

With the late Spring, any thoughts if walleyes will still be in the river on opener May 12th?

Do guys ever fish the river on opener? Or have they typically moved back out to LOTW by then?

There’s always walleye in the river, just more in the spring when the lake fish push up to spawn, and then work their way back out to the lake. I’ve only done opener there a couple times, and if it’s windy the river will be busy. If it’s calm people will fish both the river and the lake.

lindyrig79

Thanks BigWerm….. I’m guessing with 40-50″ of ice still on LOTW this year could be different but that’s a whole other debate. We cancelled our trip for this weekend. Just too cold and too much ice-breaking to contend with. So, we pushed the reservation out to May 12 opener.

Good luck to anybody who does make it out!

Riley pfeifer

Hoping the lower 40s next week will keep the river fishable until the 15th fingers crossed.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.