Early Anterless Season During the YOUTH HUNT

• jimmysiewert

Can anyone tell me WHY they would have an “open to anyone” early antlerless season (up to 5 does) during the same season as the statewide youth deer hunt (Oct. 15th – 18th.) in areas 213,214,215,341,342,343,344,604,605,643,645,646,647,648,649 & 655?? I, and every single person I have talked to just cannot justify this thought process!!! So much for focus just on the youth during this season. People whined and complained about the youth hunt changing the dynamics (I think the Youth Hunt is the best thing that has ever happened to promote hunting) – but have heard crickets about this……! Have an antlerless season – but during the Youth Hunt???????

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The youth hunt is statewide. The anterless hunt is only in the specific zones you mentioned. Before they used to have a designated youth hunt (which I don’t agree with), they actually had a weekend devoted to an early antlerless hunt with firearms in some zones so this isn’t really anything new.

I don’t know the rationale behind it but I have to imagine that they want the deer thinned in these zones and this is the best route to it.

jimmysiewert

Absolutely understand the need to thin the herd – but the objective (and I think the youth hunt is great) of the youth hunt should be to provide a great experience and want the kids to continue to hunt because of a great experience. The last thing I want my sons to deal with, or probably any other kid, is an open season (drives, etc.) on does. This should be THEIR time. There could have been a better thought & timing process in my opinion. Unless you have or had kids that have participated in the youth hunt – you have no idea what it means to them.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m personally against both hunts (youth and early anterless) but if they are going to do it, best to do it at the same time IMO… less hunting pressure put on the deer. This is also good news for archery hunters as they don’t have multiple weekends of gun hunters afield.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is also good news for archery hunters as they don’t have multiple weekends of gun hunters afield.

I was just thinking about this too. Archery hunters probably hate it when there’s the crack of a firearm going off in the area. I’m sure that upland bird hunters don’t care for it either because of the added blaze orange requirements when a deer firearms season is going.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This should be THEIR time.

Youth have their time just like the rest of us do: during the normal seasons. There’s nothing in the law that says youth can’t hunt during the standard firearms season in November. If you’re complaining that other hunters shouldn’t be hunting during a designated youth hunting season, then that is no different than someone else complaining about youth hunting during the standard season. Every hunter, whether they are 13 or 71, should have the same opportunity and open season to hunt.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I was just thinking about this too. Archery hunters probably hate it when there’s the crack of a firearm going off in the area. I’m sure that upland bird hunters don’t care for it either because of the added blaze orange requirements when a deer firearms season is going.

I think upland blaze orange requirements are the same regardless of a deer firearms season at the same time. Correct?

jimmysiewert

You have kids that participate in the youth hunt? If not – then you don’t have any idea…..

haleysgold
    SE MN

I always thought the idea was to have a Special season just for kids.
    The parents or whoever can still their own season but could better watch and be with the kids when nobody else was around spooking them.
    I can’t say I like the idea of letting anybody hunt this season.
    If they want more does taken, they could have had another Special season for that purpose.
    But as they say, The DNR giveth and the DNR taketh away!

Oops, guess I was wrong on the blaze requirement(kind of) and was reminded it’s “The Lord Giveth and the DNR Taketh away!”.

jimmysiewert

Minnesota is not unique to a “Youth Only” deer hunt either. Every state surrounding MN, Texas, Kentucky on and on have a Youth only hunt (but all my research does not find any that also holds an antlerless deer hunt at the same time). I bow hunt also – but this isn’t about ruining my bow hunting – it is about giving kids a great, unabated experience.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think upland blaze orange requirements are the same regardless of a deer firearms season at the same time. Correct?

Incorrect. Anyone hunting during a firearms or muzzle loader deer season is required to wear the blaze orange that is required during that season. Even if you are not actually hunting deer. If you are pheasant or grouse hunting during ANY deer firearms/muzzle loader season, you will need to follow this rule. This is one of the reasons I don’t hunt birds during the deer firearms season, which now includes an early anterless/youth season in October. Here it is on page 33 of the regulations. I was pheasant hunting once during the muzzle loader season in early December with just my standard upland vest which has orange shoulder patches and an officer warned me that it was not sufficient. There are a couple exceptions, like if you are waterfowl hunting from a stationary blind.

All hunters and trappers in the field during the open firearms/muzzleloader deer seasons must display blaze orange or pink on the visible portion of the person’s cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves.
    • When no firearms/muzzleloader deer season is open, a person may not take small game unless the visible portion of at least one article of clothing above the waist is blaze orange or pink. See exceptions noted below

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

but this isn’t about ruining my bow hunting – it is about giving kids a great, unabated experience.

Damn kids now days need everything handed to them on a silver platter! jester Tell them to put on their big boy panties, and to deal with it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And stay off my lawn! chased

jimmysiewert

Damn kids now days need everything handed to them on a silver platter! Tell them to put on their big boy panties, and to deal with it.

Something tells me their panties are already bigger than yours! Change your name from Clowncolor to Selfishclown. Makes more sense.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Selfishcolor wrote:</div>
    Damn kids now days need everything handed to them on a silver platter! Tell them to put on their big boy panties, and to deal with it.

Something tells me their panties are already bigger than yours! Change your name from Clowncolor to Selfishclown. Makes more sense.

Done!

you’re complaining about a few hunters hunting during the youth hunt is being selfish. I never once complained about the youth hunt going on during my archery season, simple stated I don’t like it, but would never advocate to take it away.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can anyone tell me WHY they would have an “open to anyone” early antlerless season (up to 5 does) during the same season as the statewide youth deer hunt (Oct. 15th – 18th.) in areas 213,214,215,341,342,343,344,604,605,643,645,646,647,648,649 & 655??

To concentrate the people shooting rifles and slugs to one weekend. Seems like the right approach to me. I’m 38 and didn’t have a “youth” season growing up, still love deer hunting, and have 2 kids at home that are will be hunting as soon as possible too. Hopefully with a bow early season, and a gun with me, their Uncle and cousins during regular rifle deer season.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

you’re complaining about a few hunters hunting during the youth hunt is being selfish. I never once complained about the youth hunt going on during my archery season, simple stated I don’t like it, but would never advocate to take it away.

That’s how I saw it too. He’s complaining about other hunters being able to hunt during a designated youth hunt but its fine to have youth hunt when others are trying to archery hunt. Frankly I don’t think there should be a hunt using firearms of any kind outside of the normal gun season in November. Its open to everyone, including youth, already.

jimmysiewert

Again – the “youth hunt”, the way it was originally developed, has been in place for years. Archery Season, then Youth Season, down here in SE MN, 3A then 3B season, then Muzzleloader, then back to archery, or if you want gun only, like 25 days. You have, if you are an archery/gun hunter from basically Sept. 19th – Dec. 31st. Think about that. Do you REALLY need another 4 days with a gun to possibly harvest 5 does? This isn’t about selfishness – it’s about, as a parent, whether they hunt or not, out in the woods enjoying time with their kids, unabated from other gun hunters. Is that too much to ask?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Again – the “youth hunt”, the way it was originally developed, has been in place for years. Archery Season, then Youth Season, down here in SE MN, 3A then 3B season, then Muzzleloader, then back to archery, or if you want gun only, like 25 days. You have, if you are an archery/gun hunter from basically Sept. 19th – Dec. 31st. Think about that. Do you REALLY need another 4 days with a gun to possibly harvest 5 does? This isn’t about selfishness – it’s about, as a parent, whether they hunt or not, out in the woods enjoying time with their kids, unabated from other gun hunters. Is that too much to ask?

If other people hunting bother you, go to a zone without the early antlerless season. Or find private land that will allow youth only. I really don’t think you are being put out by this.

jimmysiewert

I have all the private land I need. But what about the kids that don’t? Would you not like to bring your child into state land for the experience without another (or as many)hunters running through the woods? I think the experience would be much more conducive to a first time experience. Just voicing my opinion. Youth Deer Hunt pictures to follow….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m personally against both hunts (youth and early anterless)

I’m with you to a point. Kids should be able to be introduced to hunting young, but multiple years….no. They should get to take a deer, then join in the regular season after that.

As for the antler-less season, I think this should be held in the last week of December , after the DNR knows what the kill numbers are from the earlier firearms seasons so its known whether an extra doe or fifty will make a difference in each area. 5 does. He// no. People who hunt the regular seasons and have done so for years deserve to have a full compliment of deer when the hit the woods. Lots of people like a nice doe during their normal season. An early season with 5 does per hunter will strip the mature does down to nothing and leave nothing but fawns.

Maybe these game hogs who think they need five deer in addition to what they’re legally entitled to should pay $150-00 for those 5 tags and let the people hunting the regular seasons get their tags at 50% of the full price since there’ll be so little to shoot.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I like the theory that for a couple days, dad and or mom can take the kids hunting with the focus of the entire hunt being on the kids. I know there’s several folks on here that do a good job of this already, but I also know a few personally that don’t. Regular season, dad is so focused on his own buck that the kids are mere tag alongs at best. If they’re even invited in the first place. So one weekend to give the kids the spotlight isn’t to much to ask. I know my kids love it.

I also agree with Tom on having the anterless season later, if we really, really need one at all. I’m in 214 and won’t bother with it.

jimmysiewert

Double bingo Pailofperch!! Putting kids in front of ourselves!! You are 100% correct!!!

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

I can’t fathom why a parent wouldn’t make their child the focal point of any hunt until they reach about 17-18 years old where they can pretty independently hunt. I’ve never felt a special season was needed to make my child the focal point of a hunt, because my child is always the focal point whether it’s a special youth hunt or regular season. This is just my opinion, but you’ve got to be a pretty self centered, narcissist to make the hunt all about your own desires and your kid is just with “tagging along”. You’re not much of a parent if you do that IMO and I will always be critical of a parent that takes a kid along only to make themselves the focal point and not the child.

I never realized there was a youth season until last year. Or was last year the first year? At any rate, I took my daughter out youth season and it was a blast. Not only did we have quality father/daughter talk, but I made it much about education of the outdoors. She got a shot off too, but missed. So then I took her back out opening day of the regular season and again, it was all about her. We had a buck come by, the biggest I’ve ever seen in person, and i never lifted my gun. My focus was to talk her through it, help her understand the situation and picking the right shot at the right time.

Would I have liked to shot the deer myself? Heck yeah. But I’ll say this…. there is no greater joy that I’ve ever experienced out hunting or fishing than to watch my daughter harvest this deer. It was a joy and sense of pride similar to the day each of my children were born, a joy far greater than had i shot the deer myself.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1590268199754.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Weekender, if every parent hunter was of your mindset, we wouldn’t need a youth season! Congrats to your daughter, and yourself for being a great teacher. I myself try my best, and don’t always bring my kids with during the regular firearms season. So having this “option” is fantastic.
    My oldest is 18 and last year sat on his own for the first time. I really missed not sitting with him. I did bring the other older kids out 2 half days each during reg season, aside from the youth. If one of my kids are with me, it’s their deer, their shot, unless they tell me they don’t want it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Weekender, if every parent hunter was of your mindset, we wouldn’t need a youth season!

Thank you! This is the exact reason everyone, old and young, black and white, etc has the same opportunity to hunt something. When I started hunting at 12 I went on opener just like everyone else. I walked to my stand in the dark, sat there for hours on end, and waited for a deer. My Father never sat with me in the same stand. All you’re doing is hunting the same deer if you’re in the same stand.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>
    Weekender, if every parent hunter was of your mindset, we wouldn’t need a youth season!

Thank you! This is the exact reason everyone, old and young, black and white, etc has the same opportunity to hunt something. When I started hunting at 12 I went on opener just like everyone else. I walked to my stand in the dark, sat there for hours on end, and waited for a deer. My Father never sat with me in the same stand. All you’re doing is hunting the same deer if you’re in the same stand.

Triple Bingo! grin

jimmysiewert

DO you have kids?? There is a reason damn near every state has a true Youth Hunt. It isn’t hard to figure out – unless you don’t have kids.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.