Dumb question on GPS/Lake contour

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I don’t know very much about GPS / Lake Map chips / Way points / Contour etc.
    Here is what I’m looking for and maybe someone could guide me in the right direction.

I would like a unit that mounts on my ATV, plugs into the cig lighter, with GPS, Set way points, and has the best contours, hopefully High def. Do not want a hand held. Don’t really care what it cost. Simple to use.

Anything like that out there?

tswoboda

Lowrance elite 5m or 7m, more money for the bigger screen. Throw in a lake insight pro chip, ram mount on the wheeler, and wire a quality cigarette plug onto the power chord.

I’m sure humminbird and Garmin have similar units, I’m just familiar with lowrance.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m sure humminbird and Garmin have similar units, I’m just familiar with lowrance.

Yep, I think most manufacturers have cig lighter adapters and I’m sure you can find a ram mount for any unit as well.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

My lowrance x26 goes from the bow of my boat to the atv/snowmobile every year. Find a unit that you like and does everything you want and have at it. I have not looked at the new Garmin units, but I have herd good reviews.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Man – I go on line and Checked out Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird, to many choices.
    I don’t want to underestimate my needs, but I don’t need to navigate the Bering Strait and mark fish at 2000 fathoms either.
    They sure do entice you into upgrades.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Yep, I think most manufacturers have cig lighter adapters and I’m sure you can find a ram mount for any unit as well.

Jeez.

I was referring to the 5m and 7m models both being chart only (no sonar) units and therefore cheaper. What model humminbird or Garmin are similar in that respect?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Can you use side scan when ice fishing?

CaptainMusky

Some say side scan works when you are NOT moving, but for the useage of getting detail the object needs to move past the pinging side scan transducer. So either the fish, rock, tree, weedline, etc has to move OR the transducer must be moving.
    So, based on this, the only way you could get sidescan to work icefishing would be to have it on a rotating tripod.

Do you have any units that you use in the summer on your boat? I just take my HDS unit off the boat and mount it right on my ATV. they have nice handlebar mounts and its the same size as the ball mount in my boat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Captain,
    Don’t have much time to fish in the summer, so no boat.
    Thanks for the info on side scan, just thought it would be awesome if it did work.
    I’m leaning towards the Helix 7

CaptainMusky

You will like having a 7″ class screen on the ATV. I love having my HDS 7 on there. Nice and big and when you are bouncing across the lake its easy to read.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.