Duluth Mid December Walleyes

• Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Looks like I’ll be in the Duluth area in Mid-December and I was just wondering if any of you astute fishermen have any advice for a guy looking to fish the Harbor. Any suggestions on what to look for or where to go out from would be great. Obviously not looking for GPS coordinates, but lacking experience in ice walleyes, just looking for any info that might help me be a little more successful! Thanks in advance guys! Hope your soft-water months went fast!

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Apparently no one has ever fished there! roll I guess I’ll wing it!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Alex:

Look back through the archives, plenty of fishing reports from the Duluth harbor. I just don’t know any of the particulars…

Mark

Brandon Tessier

I grew up in Duluth and can tell you what most do for harbor fishing. Go out from park point. You will see the line of houses that are out there. They are fishing a flat on top of the shipping canal. Its usually any where from 6-9 feet of water. If you watch IDO’s episode from season 6 called Walleyes under Glass they do an awesome job of fishing the harbor. Best bite is usually during early morning and evening as usual. P Spoons with minnow heads and dead sticks have always seemed to work the best for me. Now to tell you if the weather hasn’t closed the shipping season yet, and there is still enough ice to fish, you shouldn’t be alarmed when you see the coast guard ice cutter going through the harbor or heck even a ore boat. Ice out of park point holds up well due to the fact ships actually don’t go through there. I know first time it happened to me I was in my house and I could feel the ice rumbling and cracking. Scared the living daylights out of me. I think in IDO’s episode you can see a ship going in the background behind James in one of the scenes. Well now since I rambled a bit, its pretty straight forward walleye fishing. Colors vary by year and so on. Its shallow water so remember the good trick of swinging the transducer. Has helped me catch my daily limit of 2 fish. P Anyways good luck out there and hope you catch the heck out of them.

Bud

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info. I’m looking forward to getting up there and getting on the ice… looks like we will be making ice down here next week. I’m itching to get out there! Good luck to you this season!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Alex…

Permanent move or temporary employment ?

Good Luck Up There !!

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

Dave –

No permanent relocation although I did just get a new job. I’ll still be in the La Crosse area. My better half and I are just going up to visit on the 19th-21st so I figured I’d bring my equipment and try for some walleyes. I’m pretty stoked looking at the forecast we’ll be on ice soon! We will have to get out again this year and put some miles on our legs!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.