Duck Poop

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Edit: I see this has turned into an AIS law vent session.

I was merely fascinated by the fact that this may explain how completely isolated bodies of water became populated with fish.

http://www.sciencenews.org/article/fish-eggs-can-hatch-after-being-eaten-pooped-out-ducks

For fish eggs, getting gobbled by a duck kicks off a harrowing journey that includes a pummeling in the gizzard and an attack by stomach acids. But a few eggs can exit unscathed in a duck’s excrement, possibly helping to spread those fish, including invasive species, to different places, a new study finds.

It’s been an “open question for centuries how these isolated water bodies can be populated by fish,” says fish biologist Patricia Burkhardt-Holm of the University of Basel in Switzerland, who was not involved with the work. This study shows one way that water birds may disperse fish, she says.

Birds’ feathers, feet and feces can spread hardy plant seeds and invertebrates (SN: 1/14/16). But since many fish eggs are soft, researchers didn’t expect that they could survive a bird’s gut, says Orsolya Vincze, an evolutionary biologist at the Centre for Ecological Research in Debrecen, Hungary.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Waterfowl is a number 1 spreader of unwanted or invasive species

tswoboda

Aside from humans? Most all AIS came through the Great Lakes, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t birds captaining those vessels.

stevenoak

Also seeds that are ingested {and fertilized before pooped out} or caught up in feathers. Overseas cargo ships do their share for the Great Lakes.

duh queen

” I read it on the internet, so it must be true”…………..Call me skeptical, but in the absence of peer reviewed confirmation and a more detailed report on the science behind the report, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was originally posted in the National Inquirer.

duh queen

Some food for thought: Unless a species originated in a specific site(not a region or area, but a site as in a pond or on a hillside) by definition it becomes “invasive” once it crosses that hill or migrates downstream to a new pond. So ultimately, all species are invasive on the most basic of levels. Which leads me to my point(tongue in cheek). Who are we to stand in the way of nature’s shuffling of the deck?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Aside from humans? Most all AIS came through the Great Lakes, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t birds captaining those vessels.

Birds have been carrying stuff for as many years as they have been around. Those barges didn’t make it in to the little choked out ponds that we can’t launch boats in either. Obviously big ships on the great lakes is a issue. Kind of figured that was a given

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Much like how deer farms are allowed to operate while hunters have to navigate mind twisting CWD rules, AIS laws are merely feel-good measures.

duh queen

Much like how deer farms are allowed to operate while hunters have to navigate mind twisting CWD rules, AIS laws are merely feel-good measures.

They’re good practice. We’ve had several fantastic area walleye lakes all but destroyed by zebra mussels and spiny water fleas. If folks had paid more attention to their boats coming off the St Louis river, we likely would have avoided the collapse of the 16″ walleye in Island lake. If ducks were the primary vector for transmission, ALL lakes in the area would be infected, but they’re not. Only the lakes with watercraft accesses. Hmmm, maybe those ducks drove to the lake, eh?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>

They’re good practice. We’ve had several fantastic area walleye lakes all but destroyed by zebra mussels and spiny water fleas. If folks had paid more attention to their boats coming off the St Louis river, we likely would have avoided the collapse of the 16″ <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye in Island lake. If ducks were the primary vector for transmission, ALL lakes in the area would be infected, but they’re not. Only the lakes with watercraft accesses. Hmmm, maybe those ducks drove to the lake, eh?

Invasive species are spread by wildlife and humans alike. Definitely can’t blame either one for being solely responsible. Regardless it’s happening and can’t be stopped.

Blaming fisherman and invasive species for the collapse of island lake 16″ walleyes is a stretch though. Which invasives do you blame for this? The lake has been full of small walleyes for as long as I can remember.
    I believe the dnr says that overpopulation and lack of forage is the cause. That’s why they’re attempting to stock Superior Cisco’s and have raised the limit in walleyes.

B-man

AIS laws are merely feel-good measures.

Pretty much ^^^^^

Minnesota and Wisconsin have far too many lakes for inspections/enforcement to do a god damn thing.

I once pulled up to a boat landing near Ashland. There was this fancy hot water pressure washer trailer the WIDNR probably spent $100,000 on, not including a new shiny green crew cab F-350 Powerstoke with three guys running the show.

We had to have the boat “decontaminated” before entering Chequamegon Bay, and again “decontaminated” after pulling the boat out. It was the first time I had ever seen it.

I asked the guys running the operation, “What good is this doing?”….They gave me a look like I was a moron and one guy said, “Were obviously stopping the spread of invasive species…”

I shrugged my shoulders and asked if they would be here tomorrow, and they told me “No, we’re assigned to be at a different landing.”

To which I asked, “What about the boats launching here tomorrow? How are they going to be decontaminated?”

It was met with crickets and unhappy glares from all three of them

jester jester jester

Timmy

Several yrs ago, a friend of mine dug a couple of nice ponds on his property. These ponds were 10 & 15 feet deep. With no help from anyone, they were teaming with fathead minnows in 3-4 yrs. The only thing he can think of is the ducks/geese that use the ponds as being responsible.

duh queen

Grub,
    The Spiny water flea and zebra mussels prey on the phyo and zooplankton. Eliminate that most critical piece of your forage base and you’re screwed. Island lake is clearer than at any point in my lifetime. All thanks to these nasty little critters and a few selfish or ignorant boaters. Try raising anything without an adequate forage base and see where you end up. The numbers will likely be present, but the size decreases. Sometimes exponentially. One can only imagine how much worse the situation would be if it wasn’t for the muskies to help keep the walleyes in check.
    If, as you believe, ducks transmitted the pests, you’ve got a difficult argument to make since Boulder lake, on the same river system, but upstream, and above an impassible barrier, doesn’t have the stunting issues like Island…..or the zeeb’s and SWF’s.

duh queen

Several yrs ago, a friend of mine dug a couple of nice ponds on his property. These ponds were 10 & 15 feet deep. With no help from anyone, they were teaming with fathead minnows in 3-4 yrs. The only thing he can think of is the ducks/geese that use the ponds as being responsible.

The eggs from fish will stick(they’re sticky and clump together. Think back to when you tried hooking one in the spring and eggs flowed out, sticking to everything in sight.)to the feet and feathers of waterfowl, usually from when the bird are wading in the shallows……but it’s highly unlikely that they eggs passed through the duck.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Grub,
    The Spiny water flea and zebra mussels prey on the phyo and zooplankton. Eliminate that most critical piece of your forage base and you’re screwed. Island lake is clearer than at any point in my lifetime. All thanks to these nasty little critters and a few selfish or ignorant boaters. Try raising anything without an adequate forage base and see where you end up. The numbers will likely be present, but the size decreases. Sometimes exponentially. One can only imagine how much worse the situation would be if it wasn’t for the muskies to help keep the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes in check.
    If, as you believe, ducks transmitted the pests, you’ve got a difficult argument to make since Boulder lake, on the same river system, but upstream, and above an impassible barrier, doesn’t have the stunting issues like Island…..or the zeeb’s and SWF’s.

Why haven’t zeebs or swf destroyed the fishing in the thousands of other lakes they’re in? Mille lacs has had both for years, outstanding walleye populations.
    Voyager’s national park lakes have had swf for about 15 years, still great walleye fishing.
    Clearer water changes fish habits, some anglers adapt, some blame their poor success on other people.
    If you’ll read my post again I said that people and wildlife are both guilty of spreading AIS, not just ducks. As far as ignorant people ruining your lake? How sure are you that your boat didn’t bring invasives in? Zebra muscle veligers are nearly microscopic as are swf. I find it hard to believe that you know for a fact that your not partially to blame also.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>
    AIS laws are merely feel-good measures.

Pretty much ^^^^^

Minnesota and Wisconsin have far too many lakes for inspections/enforcement to do a god damn thing.

I once pulled up to a boat landing near Ashland. There was this fancy hot water pressure washer trailer the WIDNR probably spent $100,000 on, not including a new shiny green crew cab F-350 Powerstoke with three guys running the show.

We had to have the boat “decontaminated” before entering Chequamegon Bay, and again “decontaminated” after pulling the boat out. It was the first time I had ever seen it.

I asked the guys running the operation, “What good is this doing?”….They gave me a look like I was a moron and one guy said, “Were obviously stopping the spread of invasive species…”

I shrugged my shoulders and asked if they would be here tomorrow, and they told me “No, we’re assigned to be at a different landing.”

To which I asked, “What about the boats launching here tomorrow? How are they going to be decontaminated?”

It was met with crickets and unhappy glares from all three of them

jester jester jester

Lol that’s awesome!

Attachments:
    1. 600654BB-4D60-4D8E-A9DE-C6B83245C752.jpeg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.