Dubuque Rig Not Allowed On MN River, Pools of the Mississippi until Croix River

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

At the confluence of the St Croix, Border Water Rules take over.

From the DNR:

Thank you for your question regarding using a Dubuque Rig on portions of the Minnesota River where 2 lines have now been legalized. I completely understand the confusion with this recent change allowing 2 lines in sections of the Minnesota and Mississippi River. This does make it seem acceptable since it is similar to 2 lines.

However in Minnesota we regulate: The amount of lines we can use, and also on tackle configurations (See regulations below) on those lines.

As you can see, it wouldn’t be a violation of the amount of angling lines regulation (97C.315 s1), but would be in violation of our angling tackle restrictions regulation (6262.0100 s6) and hooks rule (97C.315 s2).

I do agree that this could be clarified better in our fishing synopsis booklet, and also reviewed to see if the angle tackle regulation could be modified to reflect this allowance of two lines in certain areas of the state.

97C.315 ANGLING LINES AND HOOKS.

Subdivision 1.Lines.

An angler may not use more than one line except:

(1) two lines may be used to take fish through the ice; and

(2) the commissioner may, by rule, authorize the use of two lines in areas designated by the commissioner in Lake Superior.

Subd. 2.Hooks.

An angler may not have more than one hook on a line, except:

(1) three artificial flies may be on a line used to take largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, trout, crappies, sunfish, and rock bass;

(2) a single artificial bait may contain more than one hook; and

(3) as otherwise prescribed by the commissioner.

6262.0100 GENERAL RESTRICTIONS ON TAKING FISH

Subp. 6. Angling tackle.

A. An angler may have up to three single or multiple hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration attached to the end of a fishing line. The total configuration from the first hook to the last hook must be nine inches or less. Live, artificial, preserved, or dead bait is allowed. This configuration is not considered an artificial bait or fly.

B. An angler may have one additional single or multiple hook on a line as part of an artificial bait as long as it is within three inches of the artificial bait.

C. Except for a single artificial bait or three artificial flies, an angling rig with more than one hook is not allowed on designated trout streams and lakes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.

Major Robert Gorecki

Operations Manager | Enforcement Division

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well that is about as clear as most of the Minnesota Regulation. They make things way to complicated.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If this is true, wouldn’t it be illegal on P3, P4 the Croix ect when fishing with a MN license?

-J.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I was under the impression that you could use the dubique type of rig where 2 lines are accepted but it counted as both of your lines on the one. Line two is tied off line one. I have had multiple CO agree with me on this.

edit: I don’t see anywhere “line” is defined or stating you can’t tie 2 lines together. Single lure is on line one and single lure is on line 2 tied to line 1. Or main line tied to 3 way with line one and line two off the three way.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I was under the impression that you could use the dubique type of rig where 2 lines are accepted but it counted as both of your lines on the one. Line two is tied off line one. I have had multiple CO agree with me on this.

X2

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The mn dnr are always out doing themselves

3Rivers

Canada-MN: “One line per angler is allowed”
    IOWA-MN: “Anglers may use up to two lines with two hooks per line
    ND-MN: “Two lines are permitted and two hooks are permitted on each line”
    SD-MN: “Anglers may use two lines with up to three hooks per line”
    WI-MN: “Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted”

*Edit* Sorry, my copy and paste omitted an important part of MN/WI rules. If you are using one line you CAN use 2 lures/hooks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Advil time.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

You guys don’t actually follow this sh!t, do you? I mean did someone actually get a ticket or did some MN Karen use the TIP line on this BS??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To each their own Joe.

Personally I like to operate with in the laws and if I don’t like them, work towards changing them.

However, this time I’m out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jon, if a person goes to the synopsis for MN/WI border waters, there it reads “two baits on one line” is allowed.

The circle continues.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

No CO would waste their time when they know there is zero harm in it and it is a well used tactic. Similar to going 4 over the speed limit…

I’m no criminal but the point is moot because ZERO CO’s will ever write this ticket.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Only in MN. There will be 10 years of debate, endless committee hearings, and probably a court case or two to get this one straightened out. I’m joking, but it’s only funny because it’s (possibly) true.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

No CO would waste their time when they know there is zero harm in it and it is a well used tactic. Similar to going 4 over the speed limit…

The same can be said about multiple laws on the books. Some will ticket you for it and some won’t. And yes I have got a ticket for going 4 over the speed limit.
    It is a matter of following the law. Just because you don’t like the law doesn’t mean you don’t have to follow it. One should follow the law and work on changing it if they don’t like it. Ignorance of the law it not an excuse.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe-winter wrote:</div>

The same can be said about multiple laws on the books. Some will ticket you for it and some won’t. And yes I have got a ticket for going 4 over the speed limit.
    It is a matter of following the law. Just because you don’t like the law doesn’t mean you don’t have to follow it. One should follow the law and work on changing it if they don’t like it. Ignorance of the law it not an excuse.

Well hell, I used that excuse for years and broke the law everyday because I didn’t like it. Actually still do. Not the dubuque rig law but many others. But that’ll happen. Gotta keep every one on there toes

basseyes

Guys and guides have been using and promoting the use of the rig for yrs on the Mississippi. Didn’t James and Dean do a video that’s clearly on the Minnesota side using them? Many other guides and pro’s have videos all over boobetube using and promoting them. Again, clearly on the liberal side of the states border.

This state is embarrassingly regulated. This state needs more democrats to fix the pressing social issues of our times please.

Riverrat

The number of fishermen on this site that haven’t seen the clearly printed image of a legal 9″ dropper in the MN reg book scares me a little. If your willing to break the law on this on purpose how many laws have you broken from pure ignorance? It’s not hard to understand, and it’s not that common in the majority of the state.

Deuces

Guys can eagerly learn about 12 different tips to have on an ice rod, 12 different grains and bullet weights for their guns, a thousand different nuances to their craft beers and whiskeys but butthurt over some regs on fishing hunting.

Can be confusing here and there but regs book and or an email to the dnr 98% of the time clears things up, and a helluva alot easier than figuring out if that 7mf is better than that 610mxf for pitching jigs

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I am going to pretend like I didnt read any of this and get on with my life

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Best thing you could do for yourself!

pete b

So on pool 2 its definitely legal to fish 2 lines?

3Rivers

So on pool 2 its definitely legal to fish 2 lines?

Definitely legal to fish 2 lines. Definitely not legal to fish a Dubuque. )

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

6,874 regulations for how to fish in this state, yet the most important regs rarely get enforced….. coffee

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    <div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe-winter wrote:</div>

Well hell, I used that excuse for years and broke the law everyday because I didn’t like it. Actually still do. Not the dubuque rig law but many others. But that’ll happen. Gotta keep every one on there toes

Key word is “should”. I know I have a heavy foot with a broken ankle. I am breaking the law by driving too fast and if I get a ticket I shouldn’t complain because I understand what I did is wrong. I don’t feel I am wrong with the way I read the law in the Dubuque rule. But since I am told I am wrong I will stop using it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There are lots of guides and anglers in general who are breaking the law.

Hopefully none of our IDO faithful are involved in the criminal activity.

Jim

If anyone gets a ticket for fishing a Dubuque Rig on Pool 2, they could fight it.
    As best I can tell, no where in the regulation pamphlet does it say an angler may not have more than one hook on a line.
    It does say:
    “Only one artificial/bait lure or one single tackle configuration can be used at the end of your line for it to be considered a single line.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Read what?

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Is it illegal to fish a lead jig head on the river in Minnesota, too? I thought I read it was. What does a 1/2 ounce tungsten jig cost?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.