Drownings-Big Marine

• Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Anyone know anything further? Sounds like they were thrown from the boat, one recovered Friday PM the other yesterday. People on shore apparently headr calls for help. Assuming no PFDs…

tim hurley

Good time to wear that PFD, take it slow and careful ’till you refamiliarize yourself to everything, if you have a small boat maybe pick a small lake if its windy.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Yes, very little recovery time if you go in…the initial “gasp” of death when hitting that cold water…not good odds if no PFD. Another issue is so much stuff (trees etc) in the water this time of year, especially on the rivers.

queenswake
    NULL

Ugh. I hope we’re not in for a long string of these. People are so itching to get out and the water is still so cold. Worse yet, not many people out on the lakes with you to see you go overboard and try to help.

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

Yeah…then you watch the news and the video coverage shows search crews not wearing PFDs…at least they don’t appear to be. Maybe their heavy clothes are…dunno. Regardless, tragic and most likey preventable.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Very sad deal. This was my mother In laws next door neighbor. Very sad just seen this gentleman on Tuesday. I am investing in a couple inflatables.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I was turkey hunting 4 miles away. Sirens and S&R helicopter overhead for an hour. When the sirens magically turned off on Manning about 2 miles away from the North Arm I had an idea what was going on. Sad deal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Such a shame. Preventable? No clue. All they wanted was the drug called a tug.

B-man

A terrible and preventable accident. Condolences to the families.

Wear your frickin life jacket people.

There are zero reasons not to and a million reasons you should.

They are MANDATORY if you’re ever in my boat.

B-man

Yeah…then you watch the news and the video coverage shows search crews not wearing PFDs…at least they don’t appear to be. Maybe their heavy clothes are…dunno. Regardless, tragic and most likey preventable.

The stuff I saw had them all wearing them.

We lost a good game warden by me three years ago almost to the day, who forgot to don his PFD in the heat of the moment for a call of a person in the water.

Reef W

Mandate Freedom

ironic but good idea probably

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Very sad deal. This was my mother In laws next door neighbor. Very sad just seen this gentleman on Tuesday. I am investing in a couple inflatables.

I was really hoping it wasn’t someone I knew as I fish that area pretty frequently. Sorry to hear you knew one of them.

That was the Sheriff’s office doing their recovery. I know for them and our (Washington Co) Dive Team, it’s mandatory you have a PFD on during a rescue mission even if you are within feet of water let alone a boat. I’m sure they had them on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A terrible and preventable accident. Condolences to the families.

Wear your frickin life jacket people.

There are zero reasons not to and a million reasons you should.

PDF aren’t a guarantee a person won’t drown. But it sure does change the odds…and makes recovery much easier.

I had two young fellas (in their 20’s) ask me what would happen if they didn’t wear the PFD’s I supplied on a guide trip. I explained to them (like I did to my wife), the boat doesn’t have to leave the dock. Your choice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.