Drop shot rod

• Dr. Pomoxis

I am pretty new to the drop shot. I’ve had some minor success, but as anything it’s all about confidence. I am using a medium light fast action 7 ft rod. Watching the most recent IDO video, I see they recommend a more flexible action, in order to not lift the weight off the bottom (which I tend to do if I’m not paying attention) when shaking the bait. What do you guys use?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I use a 7ft ML fast action baitcasting rod. I had a friend build it for me just for dropshotting. most people use a spinning rod for dropshotting. I just like the feel of a baitcaster much better and hate the line twist you get with a spinning rod. The rod I had built has a twist design. The last 4 eyes are on the underside of the rod like a spinning rod. I really like the way it works for dropshotting. A few tips for you. Use a braided line with about a 10ft Fluor leader. Use as light of a weight as you can ( I use mostly a 3/16 or 1/8 ) keep your cast rather short – you want to stay as vertical as possible. Shake the rod tip with a little slack line – this will help you move the bait without moving the sinker. Start with a 4-6” straight tail worm – they are hard to find and expensive but a Roboworm is one of the best – small flukes also work real well. The 4” one by Berkeley has been my go to this summer. PlY around with drop length. I normally fish mine around 18” but have fished it as long as 36”. Once you jet a hang of it you won’t want to fish much else. I find mine in my hand about 75% of the time in the summer months. Good luck.

Tinker
    Iron Range

What Thumper said. I have used this method for Crappies when they are suspended. I sometimes use lengths from 4′ to 5 ‘ depending on how high they are suspended. Once you have your weight length set up drop the weight on the floor of the boat and jig without lifting the weight . This will give you a good idea of the action of the bait . I love using this method.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

6’10” ML with an extra fast tip. I don’t need a long rod because I’m not looking for casting distance when I’m dropshotting and a lot of times I’m using it vertically. Just make sure it’s a nice sensitive rod. You need to be able to feel your weight hitting the bottom/coming off the bottom. And of course the bites.

FryDog62

Another vote for baitcasting rod… either MajorCraft 6-10 MXF or Phenix Feather 7-1 MLF…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Another vote for baitcasting rod… either MajorCraft 6-10 MXF or Phenix Feather 7-1 MLF…

Are you guys powershotting or dropshotting? A baitcaster would drive me crazy to dropshot with. Unless you’re fishing totally vertical you’re losing a lot of distance on your drop unless you have your tension knob totally loose. I’d much rather just open my bail and let it drop on slack line so I know where my lure is going.

Maybe I’m missing something?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

Are you guys powershotting or dropshotting? A baitcaster would drive me crazy to dropshot with. Unless you’re fishing totally vertical you’re losing a lot of distance on your drop unless you have your tension knob totally loose. I’d much rather just open my bail and let it drop on slack line so I know where my lure is going.

Maybe I’m missing something?

I’m just normal dropshotting. I have never tried the Powershotting. I do tend to fish my dropshots rather vertical most of the time but not always. I can make a rather long cast if needed. I normally strip off line as soon as my bait hits the water. Then I just watch my line as the bait falls the last few feet. Often fish hit on the fall – By watching the line on the fall you can see it jump if a fish takes it while falling. I just like the feel of the baitcaster in my hand better than a spinning reel. I use a small baitcaster that I can palm easily with my small hands. ( Shimano Currado 100 size ) I also fish 10 Lb. fluro and hate the line twist you get from spinning reels. I don’t need to replace the line all season on the baitcaster. I was replacing it 3-4 times a summer on the spinning reel. I think I’m going to try a braid to fluro leader setup next year. I just hate to have 1 extra knot to worry about failing and with the amount of bite offs I’m getting I think id have to be re-tying a new fluro leader a lot. I’ve gotten rather good at tying the FG knot and really like it. The knot comes thru the guides real smooth and seems to hold up real well. Only had 1 break so far this season while jig worming – I think it was due to a rush job when tying the knot.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I don’t think I would like a casting rod. I guess I see no advantage as I use braid. A 7′ ML Fast should work just fine! In my opinion, a lot of it is just getting used to the setup you have and figuring out what cadence of shake you’re getting all your bites on. I use a 7’2 ML Fast.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I should note too, I use heavier weights than fishthumper. Heck if I’m fishing rock in 15+ I use 1/2 ounce tungsten weights. That way my bait goes exactly where I casted and it stays there. I don’t even own a drop shot weight less than 1/4 oz.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t think I would like a casting rod. I guess I see no advantage as I use braid. A 7′ ML Fast should work just fine! In my opinion, a lot of it is just getting used to the setup you have and figuring out what cadence of shake you’re getting all your bites on. I use a 7’2 ML Fast.

Do you tie the dropshot direct to the braid? Like I said for some reason I just like the feel of the baitcaster in my hand better. I use to use a spinning reel but after having a baitcasting rod built just for dropshotting I just like the feel better. If I were to use a spinning reel I would go with a braid to fluro leader for sure. for the reasons stated above. I would guess like you 90% or more people use a spinning reel for dropshoting. I say what ever works and you like the best to use.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I should note too, I use heavier weights than fishthumper. Heck if I’m fishing rock in 15+ I use 1/2 ounce tungsten weights. That way my bait goes exactly where I casted and it stays there. I don’t even own a drop shot weight less than 1/4 oz.

Wow – The fish you fish must be less pressured and finicky than they are around here. If a fish was to pick up a 1/2 oz weight and try to swim off with it around here it would drop the bait almost right away. The last 2 BASS tourneys they weren’t even using that heavy of dropshot weights when fishing in really deep water and in rather heavy currents. like I said before – what ever works for you is what’s best !!!

FryDog62

“Are you guys powershotting or dropshotting? A baitcaster would drive me crazy to dropshot with. Unless you’re fishing totally vertical you’re losing a lot of distance on your drop unless you have your tension knob totally loose. I’d much rather just open my bail and let it drop on slack line so I know where my lure is going.

Maybe I’m missing something?”
    ————————-
    It’s a preference thing – there are advantages/disadvantages of both spinning and casting set ups for DS.

To me, spinning is a little easier to “work the bait” because I use my right hand. But I’m not too bad using my left hand to work a DS on a baitcaster. I think people have a tendency to “overwork” DS anyway (being Type A I know I do!) so a little less or more subtle action could be a plus. A lot of times when drop-shotting with a baitcaster, I just palm the rod/reel with my left hand – and then just tap the line with my right index finger to give it that subtle action vs. a lot of tip action.

But the biggest reasons I use a baitcaster to DS are:

•Deep water hooksets, and/or using stretchy fluorocarbon… the extra power and control can come in handy. I recently hooked a few 18-19 inch Smallmouth in 22 fow and they felt like 7 pounders(!) when hooked that deep even with braid/fluorocarbon leader. Baitcasters excel here..
    •Little to no line twist with a baitcaster… so no need to tie on a spin-shot hook which requires one more knot that could potentially fail. Instead I just tie a Palomar and loop it back through the hook eye with a long tag to the dropper.
    •I normally drop-shot, but can quickly switch the set up for power-shotting on the same rod.

For drop-shotting, I typically use a 3/8 oz sinker… sometimes 1/4. I have a Daiwa Alpha with the SV spool and I leave the tension loose to cast or just let line out vertically/quickly. A very small/compact reel and the SV spool is very forgiving.

Works for me, but I know most people use spinning and prefer it. I don’t plan to convert anyone ;)

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat McSharry wrote:</div>

Do you tie the dropshot direct to the braid? Like I said for some reason I just like the feel of the baitcaster in my hand better. I use to use a spinning reel but after having a baitcasting rod built just for dropshotting I just like the feel better. If I were to use a spinning reel I would go with a braid to fluro leader for sure. for the reasons stated above. I would guess like you 90% or more people use a spinning reel for dropshoting. I say what ever works and you like the best to use.

No I knot in 6-8′ of fluorocarbon with an Alberto knot and tie my hook and drop shot on that.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pat McSharry wrote:</div>

Wow – The fish you fish must be less pressured and finicky than they are around here. If a fish was to pick up a 1/2 oz weight and try to swim off with it around here it would drop the bait almost right away. The last 2 BASS tourneys they weren’t even using that heavy of dropshot weights when fishing in really deep water and in rather heavy currents. like I said before – what ever works for you is what’s best !!!

I mostly drop shot for smallmouths. I really don’t fish for largemouths very often and am not an expert whatsoever. Mille Lacs and Green Bay are my favorite bodies of water to drop shot smallmouths. I think I just get conditioned to big waves, heavy wind and finicky smallmouths that won’t swim very far off the rock they are using to eat a bait. I need to be able to cast my setup exactly to the rock and it needs to stay there. 3/8-1/2 oz weight achieves that for me. I can keep my line really tight in the process. Using braid to fluoro I can feel the bites instantly and pull the trigger.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I can see where fishing a specific target a heavier weight may be good. If you need it to drop straight down and stay in place where it hits a heavy weight would probably be the ticket. Most all my dropshot fishing is done along big deep weedlines. The weight is moving a fair amount to cover a alot of water. In the deeper water the fish often move off a fair distance with the bait prior to detecting the bite. They often drop the bait when they feel the weight – Even when fishing 1/8oz or smaller weights. A smallmouth is a whole different fish than most largemouth.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Interesting. The only time I’m using a baitcaster is if I’m powershotting. I’m never going to tell someone there way is wrong though. Just wanted to know why you guys liked using a baitcasting setup. I just don’t think I could get used to stripping off line every time to get it down where I wanted. All this being said, I can’t stand dropshotting anyway. rotflol

I have been trying powershotting more and more though and I think I’m starting to like it…..Bigger bait, bigger bites…..

@mcsh1pat
    ….Has the walleye bite been that slow that you guys are resorting to the lowly bass species for your shows lately? I’ve really enjoyed them.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Up until the last 2 years….I have been using a St Croix Legend Tournament LBC78MHM….It is a 7’8″ Med Heavy Moderate baitcaster rod. Great for open water and big smallies…esp in water greater than 15 ft deep….I also like the moderate action for dropshotting so you do not “overwork” your bait of choice. Very sensitive and allows the fish to eat the bait without feeling the tip of the rod. I also use 3/8 to 1/2 oz weights 90% of the time. As Pat says….keeps the bait in place. Now I am mainly using the newer St Croix LBS86MLXF spinning rod. Awesome drop shot rod….Wish it was a fast action instead of extra fast but just my opinion. I rarely fish drop shot baits vertically. Long casts and work the bait covering water….

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

@mcsh1pat….Has the walleye bite been that slow that you guys are resorting to the lowly bass species for your shows lately? I’ve really enjoyed them.

It’s a combination of reasons.

You can only catch walleyes so many ways for shows.

It’s fun to mix it up and chase something else

Bass are fun as hell. I personally would rather go bass fishing than say, pull spinners and bottom bouncers for average sized walleyes.

I like learning new ways to catch fish and there are tons of ways to catch LMB’s

I don’t have to travel very far to get on really good largemouth fishing. I think MN is the most underrated largemouth state in the country.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

@mcsh1pat
    ….Has the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye bite been that slow that you guys are resorting to the lowly <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass species for your shows lately? I’ve really enjoyed them.

It’s a combination of reasons.

You can only catch walleyes so many ways for shows.

It’s fun to mix it up and chase something else

Bass are fun as hell. I personally would rather go bass fishing than say, pull spinners and bottom bouncers for average sized walleyes.

I like learning new ways to catch fish and there are tons of ways to catch LMB’s

I don’t have to travel very far to get on really good largemouth fishing. I think MN is the most underrated largemouth state in the country.

I like to hear that. It definitely has great bass fishing. Sure wish we could have a longer growing season though so we could grow a few double digit fish…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.