Driveway Questions – Snow Removal

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’re getting set to build a new place on some land we purchased adjacent to the family land. We will now be closer to our sheds and buildings as well as in a more remote location.

Our driveway will be about 2/10ths of a mile long. It will be gravel with breaker rock beneath for the foreseeable future with the last 50 yards or so being blacktop in front of the garages. What would people here suggest for snow removal as far as tools/vehicles/implements go? I see 3 possible options.

1. SCUT with blower attachment – I’d only go this route if I could find a SCUT that’d sufficiently mow a few acres of finished lawn with a crisp clean cut to essentially dodge buying a new rider mower. We’d also benefit from other potential attachments around the acreage (40 acres attached to the family’s ~300 acres).

2. Truck with plow – I currently have a half ton and don’t really want to put a plow on that, and also don’t want to go to a bigger truck just for a handful of snowfalls. I currently tow a fishing boat, tritoon, and utility trailers regularly but rarely very far to need a larger truck. We have access to full sized family tractors for large snowfalls if needed.

3. Side by Side with plow – A neighbor down the road a mile or so does this and it seems to really beat on the machine. However, we rarely need to clear giant snows and would have access to tractors for them if needed. Like the SCUT, we would benefit from the Side by Side for utility uses around the acreage.

For context: We’re located in the Wabasha and Lake City area. Outside of a few years back, snowfall generally isn’t absurd here…but drifting can be an issue.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

A good SxS will handle about anything you can throw at it. We went this route as it has so many other uses as well. I even put one on my RZR for moving snow at the farm. The Ranger does move snow better than the RZR but any SxS will move any snow you will see. I put a 72″ poly on the Ranger and a 66″ poly on the RZR. I have a plow in an atv also but it struggles with the big snows. I grew up with having plows on trucks but won’t go back.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’d just get a hold of Dutchboy and have him do it.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Do you already have a SxS or other ATV?

We were in this position about a year and a half ago and I was pretty sure we were going to go with an older truck/plow combo. A few things fell through and we ended up going with a SxS. After using it all summer, hauling stuff, stacking branches, driving to trail camera sites, etc. I keep saying I can’t believe we almost didn’t get a SxS.

The wife and I know that if we’re going to get a lot of snow we may just have to plow early and often to not overburden the plow.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

We had/have a 72 Jeep Pickup with a 7′ plow. Used it over 40 years. We have over 2000′ of driveway and 5 parking areas. In 2013 we bought a John Deere X728 with a 54′ blower (and 54″ mower deck).

The first year put on the plow – never used it.
    Second year got the plow ready – never put it on.
    Third year and since – never touched the plow.

First snowfall 5 passes up the driveway. Last snowfall in April 5 passes up the driveway. With the plow we had to start 60′ wide hoping to have 25′ in April.

No snowbanks to look over or around. Most years with the plow we had to use the front end loader to move banks and make more room.

No gravel in the lawn. Start with the shoes on the blower so you leave an inch. After a few times put them all the way up.

If you have a use for it a JD Series 1 with a cab would be perfect. My next thing will be a JD Series 2.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

It’s a tough choice. If you have other uses for a SCUT besides snow blowing and mowing, I’d go that route. Other than the small tractors are limited on what they can do. Tilling a garden would be a good use for one. Otherwise I’d go SxS and a zero turn. We have a 600’ driveway and have plowed with a can am defender hd8 and it works great. Just have to remember to push the piles further back early in the season.

Red Eye

No banks or piles with blowers.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s a tough choice. If you have other uses for a SCUT besides snow blowing and mowing, I’d go that route. Other than the small tractors are limited on what they can do. Tilling a garden would be a good use for one. Otherwise I’d go SxS and a zero turn. We have a 600’ driveway and have plowed with a can am defender hd8 and it works great. Just have to remember to push the piles further back early in the season.

I know there is no real cheap option, but it almost seems like a SCUT could be the cheapest option? There’s reliable used ones to be had for 10-12k. My biggest concern is if I get a SCUT… will I have something that doesn’t mow decent and will turn around and be getting a lawn tractor too. A zero-turn is out of the picture as we have some real steep stuff.

Side by Sides are absurdly expensive with everyone and their grandma buying one to recreate in or cruise down the road on. I’d still need the lawn tractor as well then.

I’ve never seen what the JD 700 series lawn tractor can do…but some swear by them for blowing snow. Nearly 1/4 mile is a long ways though.

Musky Ed

Some real world tractor plowing experience. Upper central Wisconsin, curved driveway apx 200 yds long plus, farm field north side of driveway that causes alot of drifting. First two years, mid sized JD 32hp diesel 4wd tractor with box scraper off rear and over 300lbs weight attached to back of box scraper. Plowed great straight line with straight blade, plowed ok with blade angled till driveway got semi iced up, then would go sideways down driveway until banks were pushed back. Now have a bigger JD tractor, 52HP, bigger and about 1200# heavier frame, cab that weighs I’m guessing another 500#-800# more, and bigger box scraper and more weight than other tractor, so apx 2000# more tractor than previous one. Straight line plow nothing will stop it, angled blade great till banks build up and drive gets slippery, then still have to push banks back as banks will push tractor sideways. Side by sides may be great, but there is no way they would begin to push the snow that my first tractor would as I was a good 4000# plus and power wasn’t the drawback. I now am over 6000# and still struggle at times. If you need to move alot of snow with a smaller machine, a blower is the way to go. Friend of mine with almost a 1/4mi driveway down the road, has a tractor similar to my first one but with a blower and he never has any issues with drifting or heavy snow.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Don’t want to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on a snow pusher for a sub compact tractor. I have a 45hp and am trying to decide what to get for the front end for snow pushing. I’m thinking a pusher over any blade. I have 200 yards of gravel driveway and parking. lots of dragging required with tuck under garage.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I have found that a blower works better then a blade.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

A Kubota BX series SCUT would ease your worries about the quality of cut. I’m sure you would be satisfied. You have three options for a snowblower, 48”, 50” and 55”. Super easy to change from mower to blower, no tools in just minutes. The quick hitch for the blower would also accept a hydraulic angle blade. Loader comes off from the seat in seconds. A blade on the loader is also an option but given the choice, a frame mounted loader will out perform a loader mounted on your long runs. Closer to the tractor is more stable. Heated cab is an option as well.

Same can be said for their B and LX series. Some find that while still offering a quality cut, the bigger machine are a little less maneuverable than the subcompacts. AC cab on the LX2610/3310 is very nice. Blowers for these are up to 63” and it handles it easily.

Kubota also makes a SXS either open ROPS or with an AC factory cab for the low $20s. They have a PTO driven blower available with a quick hitch that accepts a blade, V blade or angle broom. If it had a 1500 lb lift loader on it I’d have gone that direction.

Instead I bought a Bobcat Toolcat. A 68 HP diesel SXS with a skid steer loader on it and high flow hydraulics that I run a blower and blade on. It’s not really right to call it a SXS, it’s a work utility vehicle. New with a blower is pricey though, close to mid 60s.

That brings up a skid steer. Very productive as a plow machine or snow blower. Great for many other projects too.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions about these.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

The blowers are phenomenal.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s nice to have options. I have a Deere with blower attachment. Good for bigger snowfalls.

4 wheeler with a blade for light snow, quick jobs. 750 ft driveway

picklerick
    Central WI

I have a 300′ gravel driveway. We bought a 2020 Polaris Ranger 500 that came with a plow, fully enclosed with a cab heater and it did a fine job on last winter’s snow here in central WI. I’d never plowed before but once I got the hang of it it was pretty easy and I never felt like I was beating on the machine. I think the deepest snowfall was about 7-8″. Beat the hell out of the snow blower I’d been using.

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    I’d just get a hold of Dutchboy and have him do it.

rotflol rotflol rotflol devil

Yeah, I think Bucky wants a clean, legal operation here… lol

Snake ii’s

Skidsteer. Mine works AWESOME at removing snow. Plus the ability to do so much more…….

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have a 300′ gravel driveway. We bought a 2020 Polaris Ranger 500 that came with a plow, fully enclosed with a cab heater and it did a fine job on last winter’s snow here in central WI. I’d never plowed before but once I got the hang of it it was pretty easy and I never felt like I was beating on the machine. I think the deepest snowfall was about 7-8″. Beat the hell out of the snow blower I’d been using.

pick
    How big was your snow blower?
    I’m debating plow on the utv or bigger lawn tractor with blower.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

If drifting is an issue at all go with a blower. I have just under a 1/4 mile long driveway in farm country and learned the hard way about plows and drifting. Plus with the blower, the gravel on your driveway stays there. I use a BX series Kubota with a 50″ front mounted blower and never had anything it couldn’t handle. Definitely slower than a full sized tractor with a rear mounted blower but more comfortable to drive as well as easier to maneuver in tight places.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bump. I still haven’t made a decision or purchase on this and keep putting it off.

I have 1/4 mile of driveway in rural SE MN on our 40 acres. Although we don’t get a ton of huge snowfalls, a majority of the driveway is in the wide open area of a field and I anticipate the ditches built for the driveway will fill with snow leaving drifts from just wind changes.

A truck mounted plow is out. I’m not dealing with that or storing it.

A side by side is out. I’m not paying $20k+ for one at today’s prices. That’s absurd.

I am leaning heavily towards a Kubota BX series SCUT. There’s a used 2370 here locally that looks to be in good shape. I’ll also be mowing a couple acres along with some ditches and don’t have a mower currently that fits the bill. Some spots are too steep for a zero turn. I originally thought I wanted a front blower, but seeing as I have ample room to shove snow I am leaning towards a blade with the quick attach and hydraulic lift and angle. I was thinking with the shoes/skids down I wouldn’t be tearing up a ton of gravel? If I do get into some gravel, I would rather it be with a blade then sending it through a more expensive blower.

Any other thoughts or insights to share? I’m going to look at that SCUT tomorrow to get a feel for what it can do.

picklerick
    Central WI

pick
    How big was your snow blower?
    I’m debating plow on the utv or bigger lawn tractor with blower.
    [/quote]

Sorry I missed your question. It is a walk behind Craftsman. No fun at all.

CaptainMusky

If you are going to plow your driveway regardless of which equipment you use, I would suggest just driving over the first small snowfall to build a base or you will tear up your driveway especially early when its not frozen like a rock.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you are going to plow your driveway regardless of which equipment you use, I would suggest just driving over the first small snowfall to build a base or you will tear up your driveway especially early when its not frozen like a rock.

I agree completely. I will only be plowing it once the frost is well into the ground. I’m planning with the shoes/skids on the blade to have them set at the highest height (a couple inches) and to not use it until we have some major cold temps. Then I’d plow it with the intent of mainly managing drifts or spots with more than a little hard-packed snow. All of our vehicles are 4wd or AWD, so the only real issue will be drifts getting them moved before they become real solid.

Has anyone here regularly used a blower on a gravel driveway? My gut tells me that’s not the way to go, as I hate the idea of sending rocks flying or dealing with that wear and tear versus just a blade.

CaptainMusky

Has anyone here regularly used a blower on a gravel driveway? My gut tells me that’s not the way to go, as I hate the idea of sending rocks flying or dealing with that wear and tear versus just a blade.

I havent in years, but when we first bought our home our driveway was crushed granite and even with having the shoes up a bit I was throwing small rocks all over the place. The problem is its never perfectly level and if they install it right they will have a small crown on it to control runoff and depending how wide the blower is and going right down the middle of the driveway you will probably scald the high part, because I did. I dont think there is a real great way. I paved the driveway as a first home improvement project which was a couple years in. My blower was a 42″ single stage on a Simplicity tractor.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My nephew has used a blower for 25 years on a gravel driveway. His advice is drive over the first few small snows to pack it down. After that use the blower. His driveway is not steep but this system works for him.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.