Drill/Auger Combination

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

85 bucks? Seems a little excessive to me for what it is.

It’s actually $75 but tomato tamato… I expected that and I respect your opinion completely. Personally a clam plate costs $80 and does nothing I need it to do. Then I’d have to buy an extension too. So to accomplish what I needed this way I’d be looking at over $100 and it would be heavier and bulkier. Just adding an option for the guys that dislike the Clam plate.

it’s going to take a lot more than bar stock

It’s actually tubing to keep it lighter with a solid insert welded into it. I’m sure I could get it cheaper again if I just used bar stock? But, when I was making it for my own use I made it the best I could. Thanks for your input and I’m glad what you have is working for you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Seems like a fair price. This is a guy who buys small amounts and builds them. Not a clam company building thousands. I personally would rather try this for 75 bucks then ever buy and break another clam one. I’d assume they would be cheaper if he was buying and building 100s of them, but I bet that’s not the case

Buddy VanSickle

Seems like a fair price. This is a guy who buys small amounts and builds them. Not a clam company building thousands. I personally would rather try this for 75 bucks then ever buy and break another clam one. I’d assume they would be cheaper if he was buying and building 100s of them, but I bet that’s not the case

I agree. This looks to be very well thought out, rugged, and way less bulky than the clam plate. And even with shipping cost, the time I’d spend obtaining the materials and building it is worth way more than the overall price. Can’t wait to get mine!

curleytail

85 bucks? Seems a little excessive to me for what it is. I mean, it only takes about 20 seconds to remove a drill from the Clam Plate. Goes back on just as easy and doesn’t cost a thing. Honestly though, for almost $90, I’d rather just buy a separate bare drill and not have to switch anything at all. Even less time dealing with gear. In fact, I’m doing that here soon and can’t wait.

I do understand making something that doesn’t exist and I’m happy it worked out for you. Necessity is the mother of invention. I’m a former cadd engineer myself. I just don’t see the practicality of this item. As a Clam Plate user, it’s going to take a lot more than bar stock and an industrial frisbee to make me switch just for convenience sake.

For what it’s worth, in the one season I didn’t use the Plate, I never had the drill chuck come loose or slip ever.

I don’t think you have to buy one if you don’t want to. whistling

Al Case

Joe, do you have any videos of your setup/extension?

Gilgetter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>
    I have the same drill with a 6” strike master hand on a clam plate.

I use my drill to clean the slush from my holes in the wheel house, crank up my house, and use it for tasks around the house, so it was important for me to have the drill not attached to the clam plate.

I also like how much smaller the set up is without the clam plate. Drilling holes in the house was tough with the Ion so going with a plain drill worked much better for me. The Clam plate looks like a solid option though if you don’t have the concerns I did.

Good food for thought, for the record for others who may be on the fence, it is only two wing nuts and loosen the chuck from the clam plate so not the end of the world either way.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

UPDATE

Just an FYI I’m in the process of redesigning this adapter to cut out a bunch of labor/cost hopefully. If I could get the adapter under $50 how many would be interested? I would be using bar stock instead of a hollow tube. Feel free to text, PM or post here. If I get enough interest I’ll see how low I can get the price. Thanks

Text# 320-260-9056

disco bobber

Runnings has 20% off in-stock Naked 20 volt Dewalt Tools

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s a bad a$$ design and I want mine

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It’s a bad a$$ design and I want mine

Yours will be shipping tomorrow at noon. I had to get more UHMW for the round disc. Any new orders I estimate will be going out in about 2 weeks.

As for the cheaper $50 version I have not verified I can make them for that yet. I’m waiting on one more quote. I will try to let all of those who wanted the cheaper version know ASAP. Thanks for all of the PM’s, emails and texts.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Joe, you probably already have thought this, but make em how you like, and are happy with. Someone will always complain.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Joe,

I realize this thread was from last winter. Did you have any plans on making these adapters this season?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.