Dream Machine

• sktrwx2200

If money was not a factor…. What would be your DREAM food plotting tractor? And what makes it a dream plotter?

I plant about 16 acres a year the hard way and looking to invest in doing it easier and better. When I look online there too many options to navigate. How many HP is in that sweet spot of versatility. I have a 12 ft JD disc so the 30-40 HP units are probably too small.
    My allergies are crazy, so most likely going to be looking for a cab with heat and air. Bonus do a little snow work in the winter.

Thanks

deertracker

Not sure about the tractor but it would for sure have a Genesis no-till drill.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If I were spending Deertracker’s massive trust fund, therefore cost not being a concern, I’d buy a New Holland Boomer 50 or 55. Add the biggest loader the tractor will handle, wheel weights, and call ‘er good.

Or pick your favorite color, Kubota, Deere both have similar models. No sense talking to a Kubota guy about Deere or a Deere guy about Kubota, etc everybody seems to have their brand mind made up.

But since I’m spending real money, I’m currently in the market for a 50 HP and my only dream criteria are that it has to have less than 1000 hours and be pre-emissions because I don’t want anything to do with all that crap on a small tractor. I want old school simple stuff that I can fix myself. I want the biggest QA loader the tractor will handle. I don’t care about brand as long as its one of the big 4.

I talk to a lot of food plotters every year. If the goal is to save time, it’s less about the tractor and more about the implements. As DT said, a big no-till rig would probably be the biggest time saver because it cuts the discing/tillage step out completely for most plotting operations. The key with NT is the rigs are big and heavy so you have to size your tractor accordingly.

The biggest time/work saver for me was getting a high-quality boom sprayer setup. Frost, Inc, IMO makes the best food plot sized sprayers on the market. A big boom sprayer easily cut my spray time in half and boom rigs are more efficient as far as water usage compared to boomless, so you spray more and fill water less. As far as implements, I use my sprayer more hours every year than I use any other implement.

Also, your planting strategy can be a big work saver. Being all in on annuals is a lot of work. I have half my 12 acres of plots in perennial clover/alfalfa blends. So for that half of my acerage, the only thing I do is spray and mow.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

New Holland T4 or T5. I’ve used both of these extensively with forestry projects and planting and they are awesome. You easily could get the smaller models within each line and have plenty of power to rip out stumps or pull whatever you need. Similar size /style Case is about the same.

Ultimately it’s a fiat. The 80s and 90s were a buying frenzy for tractor companies. Merging, buy outs for patents….it was nuts. So as the years progress, Ford, new holland, case , iH all bought/merged…. the Ford name has been phased out. But the Case and New Holland are the product of the mergers and the best of the best for transmissions, cab comfort, and so on. If I was dropping $$$$ today, no doubt I would look at
    Case Utility Farmall C Series and New
    Holland T4

If your looking smaller, the Case utility in 55hp has been great for us. Or smaller yet and more consumer based would be a Kabota

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.