Drawdown of Minong Flowage, to slowdown Milfoil

• carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

FYI:

For all those that love fishing the Minong Flowage and area, better keep an ear & eye out for what the Lake Association is doing up there.

I saw a report about the proliferation of Eurasian Water Milfoil in this lake.

The Lake Association is proposing a solution to be via a lake draw-down of about 5′ in the winter of 2017/2018.
    They know it is “Very controversial and time-consuming”.

Check with DNR and other Sportsman Groups/Clubs in the area.
    IMO, they may slow it down for a year or two, but at what cost to the Fish and other aquatic species in the lake.
    Sounds like it would destroy the ICE Season as well as many fish and plants in the lake if this is approved. This may also affect many shallow wells in the area.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

They do this on the Chippewa Flowage already. Some say it works great. Others argue it doesn’t help. It does seem to slow the milfoil down in my personal observation. Ice fishing continues, of course.

Flowages are dammed up rivers. Some have regular fall draw downs for whatever reason, though this is a more aggressive draw down. Not sure about the Minong Flowage. Buschman might know.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It was just drawn down a few years ago. I remember seeing it at my buddies parents place on the lake. I think they were working on the dam.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.