Don’t you just love it when…

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Don’t you just love it when you do that stupid thing you know carries risk, but convince yourself it’s somehow below you?

I went to a small WI lake with my dad yesterday and when the walleyes hit, they were peeling line off the spools. They were on fire! Well, I had two spinning rods in the boat, one set up with a blade and baitholder, the other with a crank. At the time, I was using the crankbait rod and simply laid my spinner rig rod along the interior/gunnel edge. There’s about 4″ to work with and of course, “I’ve done it for years—no problem.”

When the crankbait got hit, it pulled the rod in my hand, and the line slipped under the handle of the spinner rig rod, and when I set the hook, it hoisted that rod, and it proceeded to fall overboard into a submerged weed bed. Nothing like watching, a first generation St. Croix Legend Elite 7′ MLF paired with a discontinued Shimano 1500 MGF Stradic spinning reel plummet to the bottom. I marked the spot on the graph and drug a heavy spoon for a half hour or so, to no avail.

I would love to get it back, if it’s at all possible, but in those weeds… I just don’t know.

Any tips for a humbled fella???

picklerick
    Central WI

Get wet. How deep are we talking?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Time to put your swim goggles on!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It’s not that deep but we’re talking about 3′ weeds in 6.5′ of water, so visibility is going to remain a challenge. I’ve got a buddy that’s a certified scuba instructor, I just messaged him to get a recommendation on a quality snorkeling mask. I’m not even sure how much that will help… the water is already thickening to less than a foot of visibility from the algae.

JEREMY
    BP

Metal in the reel? Start magnet fishing.

jwellsy

Sounds like a good application for magnet fishing.

jwellsy

Once upon a time a buddy lost a 9.9 in a lake. He asked me to find it with my scuba gear. The bottom had several feet of silt layers. I cruised along just above the silt and finally found a disruption in the top layer of the silt and that’s exactly where the motor was. I’d say look for a subtle disturbance of the top of the weeds. It may be standing straight up with the reel at the bottom.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Hire a coupla kids.

maddogg

I put a rope ladder on my boat this spring just in case.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Know anyone with an underwater camera??

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Visibility is going to be an issue, but I might have to locate a magnet and see if it sticks to one of my other Stradic reels. I’m thinking, if a magnet is a solution, combining that with snorkeling gear might be a viable effort. I might have to stoop to “mowing” some weeds too.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Come on… as a kid, I could find rings with my bare feet on the bottom. rotflol good luck waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

Sounds like a nice combo. Whereabouts was that. You gotta clear picture of your graph we could see from when it happened?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.