Don’t eat fish caught from these 2 bodies of water

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

http://www.fox9.com/news/dont-eat-fish-caught-from-these-2-bodies-of-water-in-twin-cities-metro-mdh-says

Don’t eat fish caught from these 2 bodies of water in Twin Cities metro, MDH says

By FOX 9 StaffPublished July 31, 2023 11:31AMMinnesotaFOX 9
    HASTINGS, Minn. (FOX 9) – Certain people shouldn’t eat fish caught in two Twin Cities waterways, the Minnesota Department of Health said Monday.

In a news release, MDH, along with the Minnesota DNR and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, said new data show a mixture of pollutants including PFAS in fish caught in the Mississippi River from the Ford Dam in St. Paul to Hastings (known as Pool 2) and Lake Rebecca near Hastings.

Those under age 15, who are pregnant or could become pregnant, and those who are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed should avoid eating fish from the aforementioned bodies of water.

“The updated fish consumption guidance for Lake Rebecca and Pool 2 applies only to higher risk populations at this time,” MDH Assistant Commissioner Dan Huff said in a statement. “It’s important to note that with PFAS, the risk is based on long-term exposure, not the kind of short-term exposure you might have from a few meals.”

Prior guidance for these bodies of water recommended not eating certain types of fish due to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and mercury, MDH said. Mercury and PCBs have been detected in fish in Minnesota for decades, but new data show the presence of “many types of PFAS,” which prompted state officials to update the fish consumption guidance.

PFAS are a family of human-made chemicals that have been used for decades and don’t break down in the environment. PFAS can build up in a person’s body, with children’s immune systems most sensitive. Exposure to some PFAS is associated with certain types of cancer.

“Even with the new recommendations, fishing can still be enjoyed at Lake Rebecca and Pool 2 on a catch-and-release basis,” said DNR Regional Fisheries Manager Brian Nerbonne. “Here in the land of 10,000 lakes, there are plenty of places to fish, so people who do want to eat the fish they catch can find alternative water bodies. Our Fishing in the Neighborhood guide lists opportunities in the surrounding area where people can fish close to where they live.”

For those looking to catch a fish — and eat it, there are some alternative spots including the Lower St. Croix River, south of Stillwater; Lake Nokomis, Rogers Lake, Bald Eagle Lake and White Bear Lake.

The Minnesota Legislature this year approved a bill that Gov. Tim Walz signed into law a ban on PFAS products Minnesotans use. The legislation bans all non-essential use of PFAS, as well as requires manufacturers selling products in the state to disclose if PFAS are present.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This recommendation, for what it’s worth, may be coming to Pools 3 & 4 as well in the near future.

I doubt it will change people’s habits as a recommendation…but I’d expect for these to be more common as they monitor specific pollutants more closely.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree. Should be testing now. Lot’s of dredging in P2 right now. Lower end and up in Pigs Eye. Probably the 2 most polluted areas on the river.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You can thank 3M for those forever chemicals.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Can I ask in this “new data” was the testing of PFAS just started? Meaning was this type of PFAS testing ever done in prior studies? To suggest presence of PFAS without comparative data and clinical outcomes is just the start of trying to prove your theory (hypothesis). What’s your basis for proving a certain level of PFAS is more detrimental to another? Or did a WALZ type just make of a “dial” to follow based on political BS.

My guess is that these waterways are much cleaner of pollutants then they were in the industrial age.

If I was a fisherman of these waters I will certainly need more info to even think about changing my habits.

suprised they don’t recommend wearing a mask when crossing these waterways.

tim hurley

Some would say you need more info to eat those fish, do we have a reason to believe pool 3 is safe or just not studied yet-

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The first time I ever heard about PFAS was a caution from the DNR about eating Pool2 panfish, and that was over 10 years ago. This sounds like more of the same.

SR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.