When putting a friend down……

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The weather for the Ride-N-Drive looks PERFECT!

redneck
    Rosemount

Whew, thought you had a new nickname for my boy and I didn’t want to hear the story how he got it

Stump Jumper–and I could be Back channel dredger

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wasn’t going to say anything Rich.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This is news to me and I live here
    What info would you be willing to share that you already have? I would also be interested in finding out more. Do you know if they are the long shaft or the short? How about prices?

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

I can’t say I personnaly have any experince with them but I have seen them being used by alot of people on the Miss by Lacrosse and again this fall up by the Chippewa. They can really move a boat thats for sure. And they were going right over wing dams and some pretty shallow areas at speeds I wouldn’t go at. The only draw back is the noise.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Back channel is that low huh

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

Dean, you might want to ask on IDOhuntings waterfowl forum.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Going to look a bit funny on the back of that ranger.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I used to run a Beavertail mud motor that was very similar to these. I still kick myself for selling that motor
    They are very nice for running in the shallows, mud, and other places a regular outboard will not.
    I like the long shaft better than the newer short shafts, although they both have their good and bad.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

How many of you can take your own dog in to have him put down as compared to having a family memeber do it. I am really torn as to what to do……I know what I wanna say, But not quite comfortable taking him in.

PowerFred

As hard and painful as it is to do, you need to do it yourself. He was a big part of the good times in your life, so now you need to be there at the final moments of his life.

You’d be there for your wife, parent or child. A good dog is family and gets the same treatment.

I don’t envy you at all, but you’ll regret it later if you pawn it off on someone else

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

I’m with PowerFred on this one.

My boy was having some issues many years ago. I brought him in and ended up putting him down. When they asked if I wanted to stay in the room when they gave him the shot, I couldnt do it and left before it was done. To this day I regret not staying. Either way, it sucks big time!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

That is the way I’m leaning….Just wanted a little back up! Thanks guys!!! And your right! As hard as it is……

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I took my first one in but not to be put down. She was having contant seizures so I didnt know that was going to be the outcome. Knowing as I walk in? I’m not sure I am up for that either.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

the pup has been there with you thru all the good times and bad giving you an ear to scratch and the “its ok boss” look whenever you need it.

my .02 is he would need you there with him in his final hours and minutes if only to schratch his ears and let him know ” its going to be ok buddy” as he passes on.

true team mates are with each other till the end

again my .02

your in my thoughts

wallerbass

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If anything Chap the pup will be the most comfortable with you there. Sorry you gotta go through this.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I agree with everyone. As awful as it’s going to be, I’m going to be there when it’s time for my guy to pass on.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

It would be easier if there was more wrong with him! He has an enlarged heart
    (Heart Disease) and has what sounds like a smokers cough followed by heavy breathing,Wheezing noise. Runs around ,eats and everything fine. Vet can’t believe it.That’s what makes it hard for me I think……..If he had a stroke or something else….It’d make the decision easier. I think.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Sorry to high jack this Chappy, but I’m kind of in the same boat. Bear is gonna be 13 in February. He’s deaf, has cataracts and for the last 6-8 months has trouble controlling his bowels. Still eats great, plays hard and loves his dad Just not sure when is the right time and definitly don’t want to wait too long either. Maybe, he’ll let me know someday, when he’s ready????

Good Luck to you Chappy, I’m not ready for this anymore than you are.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I had a Brittany years and years ago had the same thing. she live with it for a couple years. I stopped hunting her and she pretty much just took it easy around the house. I gradually noticed she was begining to go down hill after that 6 months later I had to put her down because she was obviously suffering. tough deal

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Chappy, sorry to hear about your pal. Another option is that a lot of Vets will come to your home and help you friend across. I think when that time comes for my buddy’s, that this is what I will do.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Prieser, I think you gotta look at quality of live… and only you can make that decision because you see him everyday. The losing control of his bowels makes it a bit tougher but some people [censored] themselves for a long time before the quality of life drops to much. My Madison is going to be 10 in feb. and she is still full of urine and vinager but I dread the day in the not so distant future I have to make the decision you guys are having to make.
    good luck to both of you

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Prieser, I think you gotta look at quality of live… and only you can make that decision because you see him everyday. The losing control of his bowels makes it a bit tougher but some people [censored] themselves for a long time before the quality of life drops to much. My Madison is going to be 10 in feb. and she is still full of urine and vinager but I dread the day in the not so distant future I have to make the decision you guys are having to make.
    good luck to both of you

Thanks Corey…..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The outdoor writer Gary Clancy shoots his own dogs. I could not do that for sure.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I shot one of my dogs years ago, thought I was a big tough guy and and wasn’t going to pay the money and have some vet do it……. ya right cried like a baby. still feel like chit even today when I think about it. worst thing ever

prieser
    Byron, MN

I know, I think about it weekly. Everytime I have to scoop out the dog box, it makes me wonder.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Just put my Mae down about 5 weeks ago, always meant to put something in here in her honor and probably still will with a small pictorial.

Of the three we have had its the first time I have gone in with my best friend. IT WAS WELL WORTH THE PAIN!!! Because the pain is there no matter how close or far away you are. I would go in again in a heart beat!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Prieser:

Mae finally had diabetes. We gave 4 bottles of insulin over approx. 6 months as it was something we could to keep her around for a while longer. On occasion she would leak. Eventually it became evident that the time had come. You will know when…

Mark

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.