treating hypothermia for dogs

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Has anyones dog ever gotten hypothermia, mine has. My boy and his fried corey took sarah, our brittney, pheasant hunting one day. Shes a short legged brit not like our previous brit whos name was zach who was a gazel legged brit with toenails that were worn out. This perticular day it was colder than most and the snow was deeper than most which made the underside of her touch the snow alot pulling the heat from her. She had hunted quite a few times this particular winter but she wasen’t ready for this cold day. My boy came in the door carrying sarah and put her on the couch and i hit the panic button. I didn’t know what to do and covered her, i listened to her heart. By this time it was down to about 8 to 10 beats a minute. I thought hypothermia. I didn’t know what to do but i knew i had to warm her up and fast. I called my cousin gary thats hunted ducks and geese for years and i thought who better to ask than someone thats got a dog in the water all the time. His dogs had it a few times but not this bad he told me. He told me to take a blanket and wrap her up in it loosely then fill bottles with warm not hot water and lay them beside her making shur that they didn’t touch her unblanketed skin. After doing this wait that thats all i could do, he told me that if she was going to make it she would, if shes too cold she wouldn’t. Thank god she had a little heat still in her interior. My boy saved her life by seeing that she couldn’t get out of a creek after she went down for a drink, she just sat there in the water and looked up. He ran down into the creek and got her, wrapped her up in his coat and his friend and him took turns carrying her, running back too the car a mile away. After about an hour or two i could hear her heart rate coming back up but she still was deep in hypothermia. After about three hours she started gritting and grinding her teeth because of her temperature going back up slowly. She did this for about half an hour and i felt totally helpless, you can’t do anything but wait and watch. I thought for shure she’d break her teeth, i paniced again and tried to open her mouth with all i had and i couldn’t. i guess nature had her mouth shut for a reason. BELiEVE me guys get your dog something to wear, you never want to see a dog come out of hypothermia, you want to keep them warm while hunting on cold days, alberta clipper types that make the birds hold tight, and put a blanket in the car for the ride home if they’ve gotten cold. Don’t take anything for granted,es im very lucky i didn’t loose her. If anybodys got any other proven suggestions on keeping your dog warm, while in the field or water, im shure guys would like to hear them. Its the best protection for one of our hunting buddies.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.