Dog vest

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Can anyone recomend a good dog vest that will fit A GSP properly? The one I have rubs my dog raw under her legs.

has
    Hudson, WI

Steve,
    What kind of vest do you currently have. I have one from Avery that seems to work well. Also did you want neopreme vest for the water or an upland vest. Let me know. I’m heading out duck hunting tomorrow of the opener. Good luck and shoot straight.

has
    Hudson, WI

Steve,
    What kind of vest do you currently have. I have one from Avery that seems to work well. Also did you want neopreme vest for the water or an upland vest. Let me know. I’m heading out duck hunting tomorrow of the opener. Good luck and shoot straight.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would prefer one for upland hunting as I do not duck hunt. The one I have now I orded out of the Herter’s catolog, as you can see from the pic it is way to tight for her. The look on her face says dad take this off please!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would prefer one for upland hunting as I do not duck hunt. The one I have now I orded out of the Herter’s catolog, as you can see from the pic it is way to tight for her. The look on her face says dad take this off please!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

steve,

I just got the gander mountain catalog. they have dog vests in there for 24.99. should give a look see and see if you like it. the one that they had in the flyer was a neoprine (? spelling) one.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

steve,

I just got the gander mountain catalog. they have dog vests in there for 24.99. should give a look see and see if you like it. the one that they had in the flyer was a neoprine (? spelling) one.

shane

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve here is a vest to check out.Tummy Saver vest,$29.95 ouf of Happy Jack. http://www.happyjackinc.com,item #1337.These vest come in 4 different sizes.I have one of these vest and I have had no problems with it yet.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Steve here is a vest to check out.Tummy Saver vest,$29.95 ouf of Happy Jack. http://www.happyjackinc.com,item #1337.These vest come in 4 different sizes.I have one of these vest and I have had no problems with it yet.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I have a ? about useing a vest.

I have never used one on my dog, but a friend used to and he said that the vest wore more hair off the dog with it on, and they made his dogs look way uncomfortable.

I have seen a dog get pretty tore up on a barbed wire fence but she was ready to go the next weekend.
    So make the dog run uncomfortably with a vest, or let her run happily and chance she might hit a fence? I am undecided…

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I have a ? about useing a vest.

I have never used one on my dog, but a friend used to and he said that the vest wore more hair off the dog with it on, and they made his dogs look way uncomfortable.

I have seen a dog get pretty tore up on a barbed wire fence but she was ready to go the next weekend.
    So make the dog run uncomfortably with a vest, or let her run happily and chance she might hit a fence? I am undecided…

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

My reason for using a vest is as much for safety as for protection.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

My reason for using a vest is as much for safety as for protection.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Steve,
    I use the same exact vest on my 2 GSP’s…. and yes if you use them all the time they will rub at the leg areas of the dog…. but I only use mine during shotgun season in Ia…. I want to make sure the dogs are visible during that season… there are idiots out there that will shoot at anything brown and 1 of my GSP is a solid liver… call me to cautious by I don’t want to take any chances… and sometimes I will put it on them when I am hunting with someone new and we are in very tall thick stuff… I have had my vest for a very long time and like them alot… have had to sew them back together before cause of fences and rose bushes but it is the only vest that will stay on my dogs… all the others slide off, come unhooked or whatever….. take the leg opening and streach them out or make a cut in them to make the leg opening larger… and I don’t like the neo kind cuz they actually make a dog cold… retains water which will make the dog cold… just give your vest a chance and do some streaching on it and I will bet you will like it…and you really don’t need to use them much at all… only during shotgun season…lol

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Steve,
    I use the same exact vest on my 2 GSP’s…. and yes if you use them all the time they will rub at the leg areas of the dog…. but I only use mine during shotgun season in Ia…. I want to make sure the dogs are visible during that season… there are idiots out there that will shoot at anything brown and 1 of my GSP is a solid liver… call me to cautious by I don’t want to take any chances… and sometimes I will put it on them when I am hunting with someone new and we are in very tall thick stuff… I have had my vest for a very long time and like them alot… have had to sew them back together before cause of fences and rose bushes but it is the only vest that will stay on my dogs… all the others slide off, come unhooked or whatever….. take the leg opening and streach them out or make a cut in them to make the leg opening larger… and I don’t like the neo kind cuz they actually make a dog cold… retains water which will make the dog cold… just give your vest a chance and do some streaching on it and I will bet you will like it…and you really don’t need to use them much at all… only during shotgun season…lol

bird

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

The main reason I use a vest is that my dog has terrible allergies, she is on Temeril-P that keeps it under control. In the fall even before hunting season her belly gets terrible red, without a vest she gets tore up pretty badly. She has also been cut up by fence, not fun. Looks like the Tummy Saver might be the way to go for me.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

The main reason I use a vest is that my dog has terrible allergies, she is on Temeril-P that keeps it under control. In the fall even before hunting season her belly gets terrible red, without a vest she gets tore up pretty badly. She has also been cut up by fence, not fun. Looks like the Tummy Saver might be the way to go for me.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Tried the tummy saver and they don’t stay on very well…. as far as the allergies go…. I have a shorthair that has allergies also. I found out that it is not uncommon for hunting dogs…. I have my dogs allergies pretty much in check and what I do is 1. No dog food with corn or corn by-products in it…. chicken and rice or lamb and rice…. 2. I give him one Lipiderm each day and buy it from Fosters & Smith catalog…

If you try this I would almost bet you won’t have the same problems any longer…. Grif used to just break out so bad from the weeds,straw,grasses and ect… he would get hot spots all over his belly and inside of his legs… his 1st year of hunting he lost all the hair on his underside. So I know what you are going through… usually after the 1st frost or snow you no longer have to worry about the dog getting hot spots from the weeds and grasses…. But just try switching dog food and giving her vitamins such as Lipiderm and you won’t have to worry or play around with the vest… and you don’t have to buy expensive dog food either… any brand will do as long as it does not have corn in it….I use a brand called Sportmix and Pro Pac which is much cheaper than Nutro’s… also try to stay with a low Crude Fiber percentage… dogs do much better with a low crude fiber diet….

Also Steve my wife just reminded me of the fact that we also give the dogs a 1 benidryl tablet 25 mg before a hunt and 2 tablets after a hunt… the dog will take some gettin use to the benidryl cuz it will make them sleepy but after they get use to it… it will no longer make them sleepy… and any brand of antihestimine will work also… I use the generic kind because of cost…I hope this info is of some help… but trust me when I say… I had the same problems and I mean bad ones… and now my dogs have very healthy and beautiful coats… no hots spots here

good luck to you and have a safe and happy hunting season.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Tried the tummy saver and they don’t stay on very well…. as far as the allergies go…. I have a shorthair that has allergies also. I found out that it is not uncommon for hunting dogs…. I have my dogs allergies pretty much in check and what I do is 1. No dog food with corn or corn by-products in it…. chicken and rice or lamb and rice…. 2. I give him one Lipiderm each day and buy it from Fosters & Smith catalog…

If you try this I would almost bet you won’t have the same problems any longer…. Grif used to just break out so bad from the weeds,straw,grasses and ect… he would get hot spots all over his belly and inside of his legs… his 1st year of hunting he lost all the hair on his underside. So I know what you are going through… usually after the 1st frost or snow you no longer have to worry about the dog getting hot spots from the weeds and grasses…. But just try switching dog food and giving her vitamins such as Lipiderm and you won’t have to worry or play around with the vest… and you don’t have to buy expensive dog food either… any brand will do as long as it does not have corn in it….I use a brand called Sportmix and Pro Pac which is much cheaper than Nutro’s… also try to stay with a low Crude Fiber percentage… dogs do much better with a low crude fiber diet….

Also Steve my wife just reminded me of the fact that we also give the dogs a 1 benidryl tablet 25 mg before a hunt and 2 tablets after a hunt… the dog will take some gettin use to the benidryl cuz it will make them sleepy but after they get use to it… it will no longer make them sleepy… and any brand of antihestimine will work also… I use the generic kind because of cost…I hope this info is of some help… but trust me when I say… I had the same problems and I mean bad ones… and now my dogs have very healthy and beautiful coats… no hots spots here

good luck to you and have a safe and happy hunting season.

bird

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Al,
    thanks for the tips, she already gets Lamb & Rice dog food. I will have to give the Lipiderm & benidryl a try.
    Thanks again!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Al,
    thanks for the tips, she already gets Lamb & Rice dog food. I will have to give the Lipiderm & benidryl a try.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.