Dog attacks fawn

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My 8 year old pointer got after a fawn yesterday right next to our yard. It was completely unexpected and I cant imagine why the doe left her fawn next to the neighbors house. Anyways it was awful. I was working in the yard when I heard the commotion approx 30 yards away. My dog was chasing the fawn and biting at it while the fawn cried. She forced it into a deep pond then went after it in the water. Would not stop per my command which was a first. Immediately chased after them screaming at her. I had to jump in the pond to stop her. I felt so terrible. New neighbor I havent even met yet saw it all and it ended in his yard/pond. I did not go back to check on the fawn. Last I saw it was swimming across the pond and I didnt want to upset it even more by trying to check it out. I did see the neighbor walk out there so I plan on asking him about it next week. I hope he didnt have to deal with a carcass. Obviously this is my fault but I would never have thought this could happen in the yard so it was not reasonable to protect against it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

ewe.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Weird, my brother had the same thing happen in his yard with his dog and a brand new fawn last Thursday. He was able to get his dog before it hurt the fawn and momma came back and took it away.

I haven’t heard of this before, now 2 times in the last week. City deer must be getting a little to comfortable with people and houses.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Weird, my brother had the same thing happen in his yard with his dog and a brand new fawn last Thursday. He was able to get his dog before it hurt the fawn and momma came back and took it away.

I haven’t heard of this before, now 2 times in the last week. City deer must be getting a little to comfortable with people and houses.

To be fair it was at the cabin but generally deer dont come near the buildings.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How big are the backstraps on a fawn?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Apparently just large enough for a dog to sink it’s teeth into.

/apologize again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Larger then walleye cheeks? I may have to look into this further.

/Matt Moen

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Somewhere between a hot dog and a smokey link.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

At the cabic…. you are in the deer’s back yard, not the other way around. Now you’ll need to keep the dog on a leash or use the under ground fencing especially since its shown the dog won’t respond to verbal commands. This isn’t a good scenario for you or the deer or the dog.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

At the cabic…. you are in the deer’s back yard, not the other way around. Now you’ll need to keep the dog on a leash or use the under ground fencing especially since its shown the dog won’t respond to verbal commands. This isn’t a good scenario for you or the deer or the dog.

Yep.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Larger then walleye cheeks? I may have to look into this further.

/Matt Moen

Depends on the size of the walleye. Plus, with a walleye can’t you just cut the cheeks out and throw them back? That’s what I do with Muskies. Not sure if you can do that with a fawn.

/not funny, Brian

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Walleye cheeks grow back like snow-crab claws??? )

Timmy

Don’t lose any sleep over it, it happens. Deer are resilient and tough. I personally witnessed my pals dog retrieve a live, screaming fawn out of the brush alongside his yard. The dog had the fawn right behind the head on the back of the neck, and the fawn was going WILD! Long story short, we got the dog to drop the fawn, it appeared fine, my buddy scooped it up and put it in the tall grass off the edge of the yard. About 2AM, he could hear the fawn and doe bleating back and forth….he watched the doe emerge from the brush, nuzzle the fawn, and they both left together. Nature is resilient (and very cool)

After yrs of using your place, this happened once…… I wouldn’t make any major behavior changes. Enjoy the cabin and let the dog enjoy it too. That deer is done locating a fawn there!

craig s

It happens. To a dog a fawn is just a big rabbit! My Male has brought raccoons,rabbits,squirrels, muskrats, chipmunks and a couple cats onto the patio.i get kinda irritated but can’t blame him. They’re dogs…

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I agree with the comments that it happens and I would not figure on making any changes. Took my lab on a walk in the woods by the house which I have done many times, dog stops and jumps into a pile of tall grass. What a racket he was struggling with something but could not make out what it was when a fawn came bounding out seemingly unhurt. Many walks taken past that spot, one time event.

riverruns
    Inactive

Our house cat, that goes out side too kill the Robins that wake us up, brought some night crawlers up on the deck. Is that wrong?

TripleA
    Blaine

Lucky wolves and bears dont eat fawns or we would have to chain them to rocks…..

It was an accident, many on here shoot deer yearly. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

After yrs of using your place, this happened once…… I wouldn’t make any major behavior changes. Enjoy the cabin and let the dog enjoy it too.

Agreed. I might be a little more apt to put on the e-collar whenever outside, but I wouldn’t worry much about it. She’s a hunter–prey drive is bred into her.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That fawn is gonna grow up bitter and track you and your dog down Suzuki. Kick both your A$$es, beware, beware.
    bambo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Walleye cheeks grow back like snow-crab claws??? )

Apparently they do on Lake of the Woods.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.