doesn\'t look good guys and gals, Canada

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not surprising news. I think anybody who had Canadian plans for this year has changed them.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Our group made plans for late July on Rainy Lake again. While the fishing isnt as good as where we go in Canada, the atmosphere is as close as we can get

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yep – Not looking good at all. For now I’m still holding out hope for our normal Sept. Trip. There is just no answer to how soon either country can get the majority of their populations vaccinated. I did a search just this morning for Minnesota and could find almost nothing for info. on the timing for the various stages. I seem to remember pre election there was talk that once a vaccine was available this would be over rather shortly. I guess my idea of rather shortly and theirs is vastly different. It has been a little over 2 months since the vaccine was approved for use and as of 2 days ago less than 3% of the US population has received both dose’s of the Vaccine. At the current rate, its going to take a LONG time to vaccinate the entire population.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I guess I am at least a little bit surprised. We of course had to cancel our Canadian fly-in last summer, but was thinking we’d be good to go by this summer 2021. Guess not.

I think I’ll book a FL Keys trip instead and spend the money in the US then

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Canada has secured the world’s largest number of potential Covid vaccine doses per capita – but it’s struggling to get its hands on some of those doses and to get jabs into arms.

On Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised an “enormous increase” in doses coming to Canada of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, the only two currently authorised for use in the country.

He is under pressure from critics who say he has not delivered vaccines fast enough, and has promised that all Canadians who want a vaccine will get one by the end of September.

Canada’s inoculation drive began 14 December, and the country has so far given just over 1.18 million doses. It currently stands at 40 in global rankings of doses per 100 people, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Just over three out of 100 Canadians have received at least one dose, compared to about 14 in the US and 21 in the UK.

bigpike

Life goes on. I can spend my vacation money in the states.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Canada has secured the world’s largest number of potential Covid vaccine doses per capita – but it’s struggling to get its hands on some of those doses and to get jabs into arms.

On Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised an “enormous increase” in doses coming to Canada of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, the only two currently authorised for use in the country.

He is under pressure from critics who say he has not delivered vaccines fast enough, and has promised that all Canadians who want a vaccine will get one by the end of September.

Canada’s inoculation drive began 14 December, and the country has so far given just over 1.18 million doses. It currently stands at 40 in global rankings of doses per 100 people, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Just over three out of 100 Canadians have received at least one dose, compared to about 14 in the US and 21 in the UK.

He hasn’t said or promised anything different than Trump, Biden and every other elected official. They can promise all they want.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

He hasn’t said or promised anything different than Trump, Biden and every other elected official. They can promise all they want.

Nope – They are all the same. I hope he is correct about getting all of his population Vaccinated by Sept. That would be a good.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That is true. But if your name bigpike is what your into, Good luck here in the States with that !!!!

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>

That is true. But if your name bigpike is what your into, Good luck here in the States with that !!!!

Haha. Yes you got me there. The bigpikes are on hold along with all the serenity that goes with it. Last year I did the Apsotle Islands and had a great time. But when it opens back up its hammer time. I do miss Canada and all I put into it…..

Attachments:
    1. 20170620_185328.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

In the process of booking a trip for Fort Peck for June. Still hopeful to get back to Canada in Sept. Hope there are a few there waiting for me

Attachments:
    1. Pike-3.jpg

2. Pike-2.jpg

3. Pike-1.jpg

bigpike

I hear ya. Last year stung but this year I have mentally prepared myself. NO.
    If it happens bonus

Attachments:
    1. 13535663_10154214425058286_562401818_n.jpg

2. DSCN1560-2.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

While most countries that have areas with a significant tourism economy are looking at every possible way of getting those businesses restarted, the Canadian government seems to be looking for every possible reason to keep the doors locked.

I had just said to a friend last week that based on Canada’s lack of enthusisam for anything but total lockdown, we would be lucky to see ANY change by September. Now I think even that may be optimistic.

Grouse

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

while i agree that my trips to Canada this year (three!) are looking less likely with every week that goes by, i’ll also note that the headline in that article is misleading. the “cancel your plans” comment was a Canadian minister speaking to Canadians about current travel and not really about American plans for the summer.

“I would like to request all people who would consider nonessential travel: Now is not the time. Cancel your vacation plans,” Minister of Public Safety Bill Blair urged Canadians during a news conference on Friday. “Our shared priority must be to keep each other safe.”

i hear the bass are biting down south.

snelson223
    Austin MN

If it means going to Canada fishing I would get the vaccine and the negative covid test before I went. It doesn’t really seem that hard to do this.

shefland
    Walker

It does seem a little bit misleading, like you can drive across with a negative test and your vacination papers? my first year in 25 not going to canada

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

While most countries that have areas with a significant tourism economy are looking at every possible way of getting those businesses restarted, the Canadian government seems to be looking for every possible reason to keep the doors locked.

Let’s be honest, how much representation does tourism to Canada have to their overall economy? Probably not even hardly measurable. The small resorts that rely on international visitors are probably hurting but the Canadian government doesn’t make country-wide economic decisions based on them. They have bigger problems to deal with. Like previously mentioned, they’ve purchased enough vaccines to inoculate their entire country’s population 6 times and less than 2% have actually received it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I suspect it’s how it’s been reported as the problem. Has the government purchased enough to inoculate everybody 6 times or is there enough vaccine in a warehouse to vaccinate everybody 6 times? Just because it’s been ordered and maybe even paid doesn’t mean they have received it.

I would guess it’s the same in this country. Billions has already gone to the drug companies and now we wait for delivery.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Let’s be honest, how much representation does tourism to Canada have to their overall economy? Probably not even hardly measurable. The small resorts that rely on international visitors are probably hurting but the Canadian government doesn’t make country-wide economic decisions based on them.

i wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand – tourism is a huge industry in Canada and international visitors are roughly half of it. so i’m betting the voice of tourism groups actually do get heard. small fishing resorts in Sunset Country might not be the driver, but the big border regions in the northwest, Toronto, and northeast do matter. maybe not enough to change course on efforts to control Covid, but it’s a $40B industry.

impact on the economy:
    https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/11-626-x/11-626-x2020023-eng.htm

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If it means going to Canada fishing I would get the vaccine and the negative covid test before I went. It doesn’t really seem that hard to do this.

I was kind of hoping this would be the situation by early summer. From what I’ve been hearing from people in Canada the prime minister has said he’s not planning on opening the border to non essential travel ( hard to believe but fishing is non essential) until their entire population has been vaccinated. Even if it would come down to just having your vaccinations done, I’m not sure how soon that is likely to happen to some of the lower groups here in the US. Right now I can’t even find out when they hope to be finished with Group 1A here in Minnesota.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>snelson223 wrote:</div>

I was kind of hoping this would be the situation by early summer. From what I’ve been hearing from people in Canada the prime minister has said he’s not planning on opening the border to non essential travel ( hard to believe but fishing is non essential) until their entire population has been vaccinated. Even if it would come down to just having your vaccinations done, I’m not sure how soon that is likely to happen to some of the lower groups here in the US. Right now I can’t even find out when they hope to be finished with Group 1A here in Minnesota.

there is no way on gods green earth the entire population of canada will get vacinated. i’ve been up to lake sipiwisk way up in northern manitoba fishing……..its so remote up there i cant fanthom it getting up there and reaching everyone.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Let’s be honest, how much representation does tourism to Canada have to their overall economy? Probably not even hardly measurable.

Tourism is measurable, it’s nearly a $40 billion (CAN) industry and in Canada and it employs more people than the whole of the agriculture sector and it ranks somewhere in the middle of the top 20 overall sectors in the Canadian economy depending on who is measuring. Fishing lodges and resorts, true enough, don’t make up a large percentage of this tourism sector, but currently, it’s almost all shut down regardless of the type.

I’m just surprised reopening seems to rank so low on the priority list. Other countries that have a large tourism sector have at least been planning and trying to figure out reopening processes. Canada’s government seems to be taking a “maybe in 2022 or so” approach.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Meanwhile the Minnesota resorts are thriving which is a good thing.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

If they don’t want my money that’s fine by me- and I might never go back at this point. There are far too many destinations in the states I haven’t fished yet. If you haven’t ever been- I suggest doing your dream trip to Alaska. I know it’s expensive, but it blows the socks off of canada and they DO appreciate your business. If you’re into big pike and think you need to go to Canada to do that you are forgetting about the tributaries to the Yukon river in AK and waters up around Fairbanks. Tons of big pike that never see a fly/lure.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If they don’t want my money that’s fine by me- and I might never go back at this point. There are far too many destinations in the states I haven’t fished yet. If you haven’t ever been- I suggest doing your dream trip to Alaska. I know it’s expensive, but it blows the socks off of canada and they DO appreciate your business. If you’re into big pike and think you need to go to Canada to do that you are forgetting about the tributaries to the Yukon river in AK and waters up around Fairbanks. Tons of big <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike that never see a fly/lure.

Although a trip to Alaska is on my bucket list and I know they have some monster pike. I don’t think a 2500 miles 53 hour 1 way drive sounds like much fun – let alone the gas cost. I can hardly handle the 14Hr. drive we make to where we fish in Canada.

tswoboda

If they don’t want my money that’s fine by me- and I might never go back at this point. There are far too many destinations in the states I haven’t fished yet. If you haven’t ever been- I suggest doing your dream trip to Alaska. I know it’s expensive, but it blows the socks off of canada and they DO appreciate your business. If you’re into big pike and think you need to go to Canada to do that you are forgetting about the tributaries to the Yukon river in AK and waters up around Fairbanks. Tons of big <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike that never see a fly/lure.

The resorts in Canada absolutely want your money! They want the border open and to have their cabins filled with Americans again. Don’t lose sight of that.

Although a trip to Alaska is on my bucket list and I know they have some monster pike. I don’t think a 2500 miles 53 hour 1 way drive sounds like much fun – let alone the gas cost. I can hardly handle the 14Hr. drive we make to where we fish in Canada.

Or a 6 hour flight coffee

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Or a 6 hour flight

Yeah, not sure how you can drive to Alaska without going thru….Canada whistling doah

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I just want to get on the rainy River this spring

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I just want to get on the rainy River this spring

Good news……..it’s still here! I can’t promise spring will be before July 1st but the river’s still here. yay

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.