Does rain affect bear hunting?

• Cody DeWandeler

I’ve had bear on camera very consistently from baiting season. I’ve had one bear come in right around dawn and then in the middle of the night and another bear come in a couple times during the day. I unfortunately could only fill this barrel once a week due to work and location. The last picture I have received from my camera with a bear on it was last Sunday. I was able to refill the barrel (crappy trail mix, popcorn, corn, grease, donuts) on Monday night. Monday night through until this coming Tuesday it has been raining everyday. I’m wondering if the hot and dry weather we’ve had here in Minnesota all summer brought these bears into this property but now since the area has gotten a pretty good soaking that they may have moved back to their home or if something else has happened.

I’m looking for some advice as this is my very first season trying to hunt this animal. I have two barrels currently, one on private family land and another on public. I plan on checking another piece of public a few miles away to set up another one just to spread the love a little.

Anything helps.

Attachments:
    1. 8-21-21.jpg

2. 8-18-21.jpg

3. 8-21-212.jpg

4. 8-22-21.jpg

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I think the rain can make the baits soggy which I found the bears to not like. Plus it reduces the scent of the bait.

If your bear disappeared it also could be possible someone else started baiting in the area.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i agree with beardly on this!!!! waytogo to take it a step further if your baits are getting hit, they know where it is and will or should come back. yea another hunter can affect your bear coming to yours…… trick is to have tastier treats then the next guy. changing up the goodies in the baits, if you can would help too!!!!!

when you can only bait on a very limited basis they clean up the bait then there isnt any they may look around more. ideally putting a half a 5 gallon bucket of bait out every day gets them in a routine!!!

with the drought this year its a known fact there natural foods are far and few between. the Mn DNR is already asking hunters to not shoot sows because of the fact baits will be easy food for them. depending on the acorn crop…… its about the only natural food that might be out there.

i started using a super soaker, put the grease and smelly stuff in there and shoot that up in the tree branches. that super soaker will reach 15-20 ft up. that’ll get your scent out!!!!!! waytogo occasionally you may need to clean the soaker as it can get plugged!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just curious how your bear season is going??????????/

Cody DeWandeler

just curious how your bear season is going??????????/

Still no bears on my private land spot since this post. I have had a bear on my public land barrel though. I went out for early teal but should have went and got to my stand an hour early and I would have at least seen this guy.

Attachments:
    1. PICT0144-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo waytogo it’s a start.

Don’t get discouraged. After the first few weeks and no luck, I’ve had success the last few weeks of the season. The bears get busier putting on the feed bag, AND bear hunters are all but gone.

You just need to find a not very busy place to avoid other bird hunters

Red Eye

If that’s a 55gal drum in the picture, that is a tank of a bear. I’d give up on ducks for now and concentrate on filling your bear tag.

Cody DeWandeler

30 gallon. Here’s a clearer picture.

Attachments:
    1. PICT0133-scaled.jpg

2. PICT0126-scaled.jpg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.