Does Anyone Go To Serlkirk Anymore?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I’ve got fond memories of two trips up there – hammering big channels, but I don’t hear much anymore about it. Any of you catters get up there? I’m guessing the media, for the most part, played that story out. Some of the big names, like Stu Mckay, Stange, Toad, of old have retired, died, or don’t publicize it much anymore. If it’s anything like it was, you guys should put it on your channel cat bucket list.

TMF89

Well, I really wish I could tell you that my buddies and I are super psyched to be going there in three weeks…

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

1st time? I hope you can get over the border. You’ll have a blast.

Ripjiggen

Definitely not as popular now that cats on the red is no more. Don’t get me started on Stu. However the explosion of the walleye fishing up there has kind of taken over. Fishing is still good for the whisker fish.

Timmy

I still go twice per year. I love it. I don’t trust Stu.

Those channel cats are my favorite trip of all.

TMF89

Anyone have any experience up there during early fall? Looking at trying to reschedule our trip for the first/second week in September, but not sure what to expect.

Also I don’t know much about Cats on the Red (or Stu) since I’ve never been up there before, but I thought that was where everyone still launched out of? Where’s the next ramp if that one isn’t in operation? Thanks guys.

3Rivers

I go once a year in the fall. Took a few years to dial it in, but if conditions are stable it’s literally as fast as you can (or care to) catch them. Our best trip was in 2015. In 2 days and about 14 hours fishing, we caught 282 fish. That’s an 18lb fish every three minutes for 14 hours straight, with some of them pushing 30lbs.

Last year was good too, we caught 183 in 11 hours fishing (got rained out and left early).

It’s still very much alive and I can’t believe more catfishermen don’t make the easy (and inexpensive) trip up there. It’s the ONLY place I’ve ever heard a guide honestly say, “yeah we had to move off the fish a bit, they couldn’t handle the double and triples anymore).

With all the development in Selkirk lodging, eating and launching boats is easy peasy, not to mention the Canadian Tire and Walmart right there for all your emergency needs. Heck you don’t even have to pack anything except fishing rods and clothes.

Deuces

Can’t think of catfish guide up there, Fishblood would know. Has has a book he wrote that would be a must read for finding em specifically up there.

If you would like to borrow mine and in twin cities area welcome to it.

shefland
    Walker

go every September, so outstanding, you have to experience it. Now stay at Selkirk, since cats on the red is no more, still good friends with Stu, always treated me fair. cats average about 18# they will beat you up/

shefland
    Walker

as of last fall you can still launch at cats on the red

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.