DIY Planer Masts

• SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’ve never been a big fan of inline planer boards but didn’t want to pay the exorbitant prices for the commercially available masts. So, I set out to make my own. I ended up making these 2 for approx. half what the internet wanted for them.

Attachments:
    1. PlanerParts6b.jpg

2. PlanerParts7.jpg

3. PlanerParts8.jpg

4. PlanerParts9.jpg

5. PlanerParts1.jpg

6. PlanerParts3.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

How have the reels held up?
    Anything you would do differently if you were to make them again?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I just recently completed the project and have yet to give them a serious workout under all weather conditions. The only thing that’s a remote concern is whether or not I went stout enough on the mast tubing to withstand really rough conditions. I used 1″ OD aluminum tube and filled it with a 7/8″ dia. hardwood dowel. I think it should be good but needs to be battle tested. I’ll update the thread as fish are caught and testing happens.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I think they should be stout enough. You might consider moving them forward as far as you can. I mount mine just in front of my front seat post. This puts some space between the out lines and your rods. I use a retrieval line to attach releases. If they are too close to the rods I have had the main line, in swells or in a turn, catch a rod guide, when it droops and goes slack, then when it re-tightens it can lift the rod right out of it’s holder into the drink. You will notice I also have guy wires on mine. That’s due to the Amish composite planers. They pull so hard you have to run 500lb spectra as the main line. I have to put both out or just one will turn the boat. If yours don’t work I have an old 2 spool ss Wille mast with 2 Riviera folding planers I will sell for $100. Comes with quick attach mounting plate. Then you could spool those reels with leadcore or copper. Contact me with any questions. I have 100’s of hours running leadcore, in-line and main mast planers.

Attachments:
    1. boat-at-dock.jpg

2. good-spool.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.