DIY Dock Sticks

• Sylvanboat

I stumbled on a video describing a product called Dock Styx. It holds your boat at a dock without touching the dock. Looked very clever, so I went to YouTube and typed in Dock Sticks and up pops loads of videos for making it at a fraction of the cost. I made a visit to my Ace Hardware for parts (under $20) and 15 minutes in the shop to assemble. I thought I would share.

Attachments:
    1. C3C36360-E5C8-4E15-B44E-02682A57183C-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Thanks for posting. Not sure I would trust overnight or with any significant wind but protected area they look slick.

wormdunker

I’ve had them for years, you can trust wind and overnight. Positioned correctly they work great, your boat won’t touch the dock. They have to be angled inward, opposing each other.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I like the idea but seems like on certain dock types this would not work. I rarely tie up overnight but on places lake LOTW where the docks are wood pilings and sit well above the water these would fail.

If you have a dock that is relatively close to water level and you can keep consistent contact these would be great.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I used something very similar several years ago. Along with the sticks being at opposing angles you have to tie the front and back of the boat with ropes PERFECTLY to keep the boat from bumping against the dock in anything but extremely calm conditions.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

thanks for posting! i was bored today and made a set. here is what i did:

2 pieces of 1/2 inch pvc cut to 14″
    4 rubber chair tips with hole cut out to pass the bungee
    2 48″ bungee cords

not sure they will work at every dock i tie up to but i wish i would have had these a few years ago.

walleyevision

Made a set a few years back. If your boat isn’t exactly at dock level (think bass boat), they really don’t work well. I would NEVER trust them overnight or in any type of wind.

toddrun

I have been using a variation of that for over 10 years as well. I will double up on that they have to be level with the dock, otherwise big wave will push them up and your boat could hit the dock.

I did add a third leg, its a rope from the middle of the stick that ties to the dock. This will prevent it from going forward or backward. I used tennis ball on the ends, works well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.