Disrupting snow

• castle-rock-clown

Up on our land with our first year clover and brassica we have received some lasting snow. The deer for at least the time being have all but abandoned our food plots. Baiting in our county is illegal, so that is not an enhancement option. Are the deer just switching their diets to winter browse, we are approaching the rut, so are they changing their travel patterns based on that? I have noticed the limited visits even by the does has gone 80% nocturnal. What do you all think? Any advise strategy?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I think it’s called the October shift-dull drums or something like that. I gave up bow hunting the middle part of October because I just didn’t see much. It’s like they all disappeared. They go nocturnal for the most part.
    They will be back in your plot shortly. Maybe not the clover but the brassicas turn sweet with cold weather and it should stay green for the most part with the snow insulating it.

I also think there’s probably another food source close to you they are hitting hard so you aren’t seeing them in your plot. Corn? Acorns? Beans?
    They’ll be back for your greens at some point!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Are the deer just switching their diets to winter browse, we are approaching the rut, so are they changing their travel patterns based on that? I have noticed the limited visits even by the does has gone 80% nocturnal. What do you all think? Any advise strategy?

Deer are absolute experts at finding the highest-value food source they possibly can at a give time. I’d like to ask they how they do it.

Until I can talk to the deer to confirm this, I’d speculate that you’re seeing deer “go nocturnal” because you’re catching them on the move to and from a different source of food. Almost always this is because the deer have found standing corn or soybeans somewhere and now they are on the move every night to get to them. This is not at all uncommon but keep the faith. If you’ve got brassicas, they’ll most likely be back.

I have noticed that despite the snow and cooler temps this fall, the brassicas have been very slow to sweeten. I have 2.5 acres of brassicas and I’m astonished that the deer as of last week were still in the “try one a day” phase where they were testing sweetness. I plant our Brassicas Bender blend, and the forage radish were (according to the deer) just barely edible last week. The deer were just starting to pull and eat the samllest ones they could find. The turnips and beets were getting the metaphorical thumbs down for now and that’s the way it usually is, the radish always seem to sweeten first.

Grouse

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

They are hammering my Daikon radish ,turnips, clover ,turnips and winter rye . Won’t be much left by rifle season.

castle-rock-clown

The deer are coming back around. Of our 3 plots, they are hitting the one least snow covered by far the most.

Attachments:
    1. B3D7C2CD-4751-491C-B8B9-C2C761E12BEC.jpeg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I took a 4-day and bow hunted over the past weekend/early week and was seeing the opposite. We had snow cover and cold temps. Generally there are only hay fields in the area but everything underneath the snow was still green. Our home field had quite a bit of activity however it tends to be more at night (likely due to the amount of activity around the farm yard and proximity to the road). I was seeing a lot of doe/fawn activity in the fields on the adjacent property during early afternoon into evening over the 4 days. By sight and revealing tracks the deer were hitting the fields and were pawing thru the snow. For the area, it may have been the best food option around.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.