Discovered an odd hole in yard

• troutbum
    St. Paul

Was edging and laying pavers around a flower bed six feet from the house foundation. Shovel hit an old piece of brick. Broke it up with sledgehammer and removed it only to find a 3 to 4 foot hole with several cement blocks. I have no idea what this is. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments:
    1. 9CEC30D1-1097-415F-9524-6E37BB5EC31E.jpeg

2. F81A80D8-44CC-421D-B813-104ECB881923.jpeg

3. 81188E3D-0E45-4E9F-A2EE-006678CC5FAE.jpeg

robby
    Quad Cities

Old abandoned cistern?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Block foundation, old stoop or something else?

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

It’s Jimmy Hoffa’s tomb!!!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Pretty sure its buried treasure call the history channel and start digging. I would agree old foundation.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Interesting. At our old house, I was putting in a garden and hit concrete and brick in the yard. I asked a neighbor who had lived there his entire life, and he recalled a brick fireplace/grill there at one point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have found old patio pavers under my lawn on occasion. There will be a spot the size of a dinner plate where the grass isn’t growing great so I dig and an inch down I find old concrete or paver.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Old abandoned cistern?

Yep Mom fell through one ofew years back. Didn’t get hurt or anything. But still had to fill it in.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robby wrote:</div>
    Old abandoned cistern?

Yep Mom fell through one ofew years back. Didn’t get hurt or anything. But still had to fill it in.

Did you get mom out first? whistling

Iowaboy1

next to a house I use to live in there was two inch diameter galvanized pipe sticking out of the ground,I figured it was a vent to an old fuel barrel and had been parking next to it for a couple of years.
    one day I decided to pull the pipe out and had a devil of a time getting it out of the ground,some cemented brick came with it.
    after digging down a foot or so I discovered a redbrick lined cavity four feet by four feet by eight feet.

the three story house had been there since 1899,the cavity or once figured out was in fact a cistern was used to store water for the steam boiler that heated the place.
    I also found out the house was the office of the original hardware store there and later was a funeral parlor for several years.
    I was more spooked by the fact that I had been parking directly on top of that cistern!!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Looks like a good place to find some snakes 🐍

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Interesting find. Our front yard is where the road used to be years ago. When we were building a lot of old stuff showed up. Shoes, apothecary bottles etc… remember telling the builder something pops up that’ll slow this down they better put some dirt back over it quick.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Thats a cool story iowaboy. I decided to fill it with sand and some dirt. My neighbor think it used to be a porch. Still have no clue.

reddog

Pretty devastating for these folks in BlachHawk SD. The images are incredible if you google it further.

Brad Dimond

Pretty devastating for these folks in BlachHawk SD. The images are incredible if you google it further.

Interesting but a completely different story by orders of magnitude. troutbum is filling the hole with some sand and dirt while the Blackhawk issues resulted from the collapse of an abandoned gypsum mine. Not sure they are comparable.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>aleb wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>robby wrote:</div>
    Old abandoned cistern?

Did you get mom out first? whistling

Of course he did! He didn’t say mother in law.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.