Did the new braid replace the 832 ?

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I didn’t see any of the 832 at my local Wally World, wondering if this new braid they advertise is the replacement.
    I have had wind knots and knot failures using a palomar, the old blood knows seems to hold ok with it.

Any opinions pro or con?

Tight lines everyone………

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I hope they didn’t discontinue 832, it’s the best braid on the market!

roadhunter

832 is still out there.

The new NanoBraid is a 3 carrier ultra-thin braid.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

832 is still out there.

100% correct. Nano Braid is NOT a replacement for Sufix 832. The lines do have some overlap of potential uses but they offer different performance characteristics to the user.

If you’re fishing very light lures in clear water and you need max-distance on your casts… NanoBraid is the line for you. I can tell you the NanoBraid adds significant “reach” on the cast when compared to other braids, including 832. NanoBraid has a thinner diameter at a given “test” strength and it is a fantastic line if you’re looking to fish the thinnest diameter line possible (for example – vertical jigging light jigs in deep water).

If you’re fishing heavy cover, casting cranks to rocks or using applications where strength and durability is more important than fine diameter or extra distance on a cast then 832 gets the nod.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>roadhunter wrote:</div>
    832 is still out there.

100% correct. Nano Braid is NOT a replacement for Sufix 832. The lines do have some overlap of potential uses but they offer different performance characteristics to the user.

If you’re fishing very light lures in clear water and you need max-distance on your casts… NanoBraid is the line for you. I can tell you the NanoBraid adds significant “reach” on the cast when compared to other braids, including 832. NanoBraid has a thinner diameter at a given “test” strength and it is a fantastic line if you’re looking to fish the thinnest diameter line possible (for example – vertical jigging light jigs in deep water).

If you’re fishing heavy cover, casting cranks to rocks or using applications where strength and durability is more important than fine diameter or extra distance on a cast then 832 gets the nod.

Thanks for the quick break down between the two lines James!

FDR

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Well I didn’t see any of the old Sufix Performance Braid. You know the old braid is 9 strands at 80# test. I’m gonna miss that one. I guess I’m gonna down grade on 80# test for 832…8 strands.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well I didn’t see any of the old Sufix Performance Braid. You know the old braid is 9 strands at 80# test. I’m gonna miss that one. I guess I’m gonna down grade on 80# test for 832…8 strands.

I found it. They hid it under Sufix Performance Braid.” grin

Just funning’ with ya. Here’s the line you’re looking for. It didn’t go anywhere.

http://www.rapala.com/sufix/braid/performance-braid/performance-braid/Performance+Braid.html

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2015-06-25-17-39-29.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

@jamesholst , do you know why the nano braid can’t be found in stores in the north metro. Capra’s, Thorne and gander never heard of it.

I’ve been using Berkley nanofil for a few years now. It definetly has its benefits. I’m curious how the suffix compares.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@jamesholst , do you know why the nano braid can’t be found in stores in the north metro. Capra’s, Thorne and gander never heard of it.

I’ve been using Berkley nanofil for a few years now. It definetly has its benefits. I’m curious how the suffix compares.

At least for the time being the NanoBraid is available only at Cabelas.

NanoBraid

As for a comparison to other microbraids I found the NanoBraid to be much easier to work with…all my usual knots worked fine. And the NanoBraid is more abrasion resistant. Casting distance was similar to other microbraids but noticeably further than regular 832.

pale ryder
    NULL

I didn’t see any of the 832 at my local Wally World, wondering if this new braid they advertise is the replacement.
    I have had wind knots and knot failures using a palomar, the old blood knows seems to hold ok with it.

Any opinions pro or con?

Tight lines everyone………

Power knot. Works on all kinds of line.

Attachments:
    1. powerknot.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As for a comparison to other microbraids I found the NanoBraid to be much easier to work with…all my usual knots worked fine. And the NanoBraid is more abrasion resistant. Casting distance was similar to other microbraids but noticeably further than regular 832.

That’s good to hear. Exactly the improvements that I would have wished for.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That’s good to hear. Exactly the improvements that I would have wished for.

FWIW – I’ve been told that Cabela’s exclusive on the NanoBraid expires on 8/1 so people should start to see this new line in more stores after that date.

FryDog62

James, when fishing lighter lures, clear water – do you need to use a leader with Nanobraid like you would with 832?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, when fishing lighter lures, clear water – do you need to use a leader with Nanobraid like you would with 832?

I always fish a flouro leader in clear water.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What does anyone know about this new line?

http://www.spectrafishing.com/

Looks like a gimmick. Spider wire was spectra way back in the day. Now pretty much all super lines have spectra. There are just different braid patterns, braid contents, etc…

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Is this the same Nano from a few years ago just repackaged? That stuff wouldn’t hold a knot and snapped easily. It got horrible reviews and personally thought it was the worst line I’ve ever used. Is it the same stuff?

FryDog62

Is this the same Nano from a few years ago just repackaged? That stuff wouldn’t hold a knot and snapped easily. It got horrible reviews and personally thought it was the worst line I’ve ever used. Is it the same stuff?

I think you might be referring to “Nanofil” (made by Berkley) not Nanobraid (made by Sufix). Nanofil was known to snap easy and not hold knots well. I believe Nanobraid is new but not absolutely sure…

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Is this the same Nano from a few years ago just repackaged?

Nope….that was manufactured by Berkley…..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have two walleye jigging rods spooled exclusively with #6 Nano and two panfish jigging rods spooled with #3 Nano. These are dedicated rods, specific to vertical jigging and I have had ZERO issues with knots, wind-knots/loops, or abrasion issues. Nano has its place and works super well there for me. I have a couple bass rods that carry heavier Power Pro nicely and yet another couple walleye rods spooled with #6 832 for casting jigs and blades.

I think the heavier Nano lines that were in the first release of that line had some issues and then there were those people who spooled it on casting reels with some ugly results. Nano, like any other braid, has its place and application.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipperybob wrote:</div>

I found it. They hid it under Sufix Performance Braid.” grin

Just funning’ with ya. Here’s the line you’re looking for. It didn’t go anywhere.

http://www.rapala.com/sufix/braid/performance-braid/performance-braid/Performance+Braid.html

LOL gosh, I thought I might have to order some, since I couldn’t find anymore on the local retail shelves…but if its going no where, no hurry.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Pricey stuff at cabelas, that’s for sure.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JD Winston wrote:</div>
    What does anyone know about this new line?

http://www.spectrafishing.com/

Looks like a gimmick. Spider wire was spectra way back in the day. Now pretty much all super lines have spectra. There are just different braid patterns, braid contents, etc…

That is not a gimmick rather a corporate website for the Spectra Fiber used for by all MFGS. Spectra is now a Honeywell product.

A brief history on Spectra Fiber line. I was involved in what I know was the first introduction of Spectra Braid line into Minnesota. The Store I worked for (still alive and very reputable store today) was approached by a manufacturer to test the product and eventually carry it in our store. The line provided so many benefits to our Muskie customers we decided to do a deep dive. We brought in testing machines and tested it on the water by store employees, guides and customers. The MFG of the line was Tuf line it only came in white with a black tracer at the time. Tuf Line Spectra Fiber line blew everything away in our tests and they still make a great product today. That was in the late 80’s early 90’s. Shortly after Tuf line was introduced, Stren came in with Kevlar Line, it was limited in features (could not be dyed), the product did not last very long. I have been using Spectra Fiber line since that time. Believe it or not I still have a Muskie reel spooled with that same Original Tuf Line.

As we know Spectra dominates the market today and there are many manufacturers making some very good products with it.

My review of Nanofil, nice line, offers GREAT casting distance but does not handle shock of heavy abrupt hook sets or last NEARLY as long as a braided line. It flakes and weakens when used extensively as a casting line. I did not have Knot problems with it. I can see this used as a vertical jig line or in an application where there is not much shock to the line, Live baint rigging for instance. Casting shows a lot of wear and tear. I fished Power pro for YEARS and never had that line fail, I cannot say the same for nanofil.
    Ok that is what I have for my first post ever.

I have had similar results with Power Silk but I like it better than Nano, not quite the distance in casting but tougher. I am anxious to try this new nano braid.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@Pat Nagle

Wow, hell of a first post. Welcome to IDO!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.