Did anyone know this was coming..?

• FryDog62

???

Attachments:
    1. BEC3E62B-3E43-45E1-A034-B4DEBA47AF98.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

When was the last time you watched it? A quick Google search shows it happened back in January, and was announced in November.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I haven’t had it for awhile now, and I think it was before January even. Only get Outdoor Channel and Sportsman’s Network. Sportsman’s actually has quite a bit of fishing on it.

FryDog62

When was the last time you watched it? A quick Google search shows it happened back in January, and was announced in November.

I watched within the last 2 days… odd

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

lol This is why I live on Youtube now for all of my fishing needs and fixes toast

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

lol This is why I live on Youtube now for all of my fishing needs and fixes toast

Yup. Definitely can find whatever you are looking for on Youtube fishing wise. Some good quality these days as well.

FryDog62

It’s just hard to watch YouTube from my laptop while I’m on an exercise bike. Good thing I’m not chewing gum at the same time, or I’d probably fall off!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

It’s just hard to watch YouTube from my laptop while I’m on an exercise bike. Good thing I’m not chewing gum at the same time, or I’d probably fall off!

Roku stick, like $20 or something. YouTube right on your TV. Just stick it in a port and good to go.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

$29.95 including the remote control. waytogo

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

We got a new xfinity box this past fall and it has access to apps on it such as youtube and Netflix. No need to turn on the blue ray player for those anymore. Package is actually cheaper than the previous box and same channels.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Biggill walked me through this streaming thing.
    The biggest thing holding me back was not knowing what I needed or what I would get after I bought a device.

Many Thanks BG!

Turns out when I called Comcast (or Xfinity) and told them I wanted to cancel my $98.00 per month cable tv programming they asked why of course. I told them I was switching to Roku.

It took about a half hour and we worked out a 1 year contract to keep everything I had already, plus up grade my net connection to 150k mps all for $10 more then I would pay for the streaming service that covers the local channels…. PLUS I could take my Ruku and put it on a tv that needed a comcast converter, thus eliminating another $5.99 per month charge.

Now any tv I have will play the comcast streaming channels (same as wired that includes Youtube and Netflix) for the cost of a Roku device.

Once a year is up, I’ll cancel and go 100% streaming.

Now my only problem is getting my ars off the couch! toast

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

BK you got the right IDEA! There is no reason to pay so much for so many channels you don’t watch! I subscribe to Youtube Channels that I want to watch and enjoy and my monthly internet is substantially cheaper then I could ever get “cable” I Haven’t needed cable in almost 7 years! I also get the opportunity on Youtube to actually learn stuff important as there is not cable bias or crap advertising! Im always a little confused these days when I walk into someones house without a smart tv or at least a Ruku set up….. It’s 2018…. Also known as what most people would be calling “The Future” toast Take advantage of what you have nowadays!

On a side note I hope my Outdoors channel I run on youtube is good enough to keep some of you guys entertained! I know its not a cable produced outdoors channel but I’m doing what I can right now with what I got so I hope everyone Enjoys yay yay yay

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    Just stick it in a port and good to go.

You and my FW think alike…

Keep what your wife sticks in your ports to yourself man doah

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    Just stick it in a port and good to go.

You and my FW think alike…

I leave for one sec and this is what I come back to…..

hnd

we ditched dish back in January. and i created a fishing youtube account that only follows the shows i watch. almost 90% of the content on WFN is on youtube. hop on my roku and boom there they are on demand. I’ve survived with no issue.

FryDog62

we ditched dish back in January. and i created a fishing youtube account that only follows the shows i watch. almost 90% of the content on WFN is on youtube. hop on my roku and boom there they are on demand. I’ve survived with no issue.

Just curious if WFN is in high def on YouTube? On my Xfinity package it was low def… I’m borderline prescription and usually don’t wear glasses. If I’m watching high def, no problems… if it’s low def I have to squint a lot of the time. Don’t want to get “crows feet” at my age ;)

hnd

most of the shows you can watch in high def. thats why i didn’t mind losing wfn. because it was low def on dish too.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Just curious if WFN is in high def on YouTube? On my Xfinity package it was low def… I’m borderline prescription and usually don’t wear glasses. If I’m watching high def, no problems… if it’s low def I have to squint a lot of the time. Don’t want to get “crows feet” at my age ;)
    [/quote]

I upload all of my videos for my channel in 720p or 1080p as of now but once I have the storage capabilities I will be shooting in 1080 or 4k as the outdoors should be shown in!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

How are you guys handling local channels? I’m cancelling my CenturyLink accounts because they are a total PIA. I had sling for awhile and it was great but couldn’t get local.

I ran an antenna but even then the local channels seemed to lost reception pretty frequently. Any suggestions on type of antenna or a setup for local? If I can get that locked in I’m done with cable.

I’m in South MPLS so reception shouldn’t seem to be an issue.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Bought a good antenna for local, have to do the old school adjustments here and there but it keeps a guy humble and can always get it eventually grin

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Did you go with an indoor or outdoor antenna? I’m looking at a handful of outdoor antennas that I think would do the trick.

Also, all of the TV’s connect off of the same splitter. Would seem a single antenna would boost the signal on all, right?

munchy
    NULL

Did you go with an indoor or outdoor antenna? I’m looking at a handful of outdoor antennas that I think would do the trick.

Also, all of the TV’s connect off of the same splitter. Would seem a single antenna would boost the signal on all, right?

Just make sure you get a UHF and VHF capable antenna. And yes you can connect all TVs to one antenna.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I recently ditched cable and home phone. I upgraded my internet to 100mbps, and got hulu live. The total for the 2 is right around $100.

Hulu live has your locals as well as about 30 other channels, plus you have access to the entire hulu library, yes it $40 per month, but I’m saving about $90 per month over charter.

I did get a magic jack for our phone, and so far it’s worked great. Took about a week and $20 to port our number over, but the cool thing is, it’s $35 a year for home phone, and they even email me my voicemails.

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

Don’t over think it… just get YouTube TV and be done. If you care about local channels, get YouTube TV. You get 4,5,9,11 plus unlimited DVR for $40. (Plus Fox Sports, NBC Sports Network, ESPN, etc) You can even try it for a week for free too. Plus, you can get the Youtube TV App on your phone and watch TV from your boat :=)

**Also, I have just 30 MBps download at home and it seems to work just fine for streaming one TV at a time. Haven’t tried two.

I had Sling before but it was missing a lot of local channels.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I know it’s hard to make the jump, but I haven’t looked back at it’s been almost a year.

*I should add that I do use the Roku Ultra which makes it nice to navigate, pause live tv, and I think it all seems to stream better than using my built-in SmartTV app.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Hacked firestick. I don’t get local but meh. I might try an antenna if the net neutrality threats are real? All you need is an internet connection these days to watch anything you can think of. Hell you can cast dam near anything to the TV from your smartphone. It’s a slight inconvenience because it isn’t instant like cable/dish but it saves me $800 or more every year.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

There still doesn’t seem to be a “perfect” alternative to cable/satellite, but it’s definitely getting there. We’ve been w/ DirecTV nearly 20 years and we’re weaning off now, trying to decide the best alternative.

We tried a 30 day trial of hulu live. Works great on the laptop but the buffering and audio sync issues on the Roku stick are unbearable. About once an hour it’d also skip forward 5-10 seconds.

Right now we’re trying DirecTV NOW. It works 10x better than Hulu on our roku stick, but unlike Hulu you cannot pause live tv which stinks.

Next we’ll try YouTube tv for a month and see how that stacks up. Sling isn’t an option for us until they get a deal hammered out for the full slate of local channels.

I’ve read that T-Mobile will be rolling out a streaming tv package in 2018 or 2019, so I’m interested in that as well since we have our phones there.

broth82

I dumped Dish awhile ago, now with a smart TV I can watch all the fishing and hunting shows I can handle. We also have Netflix more for the kid shows and have an external antenna, for the antenna I got one from Menards.
    I used this website to see what channels i would get and where I needed to point my antenna. I get roughly 42 channels and all the locals are in HD.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm

This is close to the antenna I got (mine had a longer range 100+ miles)

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electronics/antennas/shop-all-antennas/rca-outdoor-passive-30-element-tv-antenna/ant3036z/p-1444424472672-c-1454940301502.htm?tid=2207478554988311384&ipos=1

You can also mount the antenna to the bracket your dish mounts to if you want.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

An amplifier booster will do wonders for any antenna though you will need a separate amplifier for each set. They do sell multi port amplifiers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.