Devils Lake

• orve4

We are heading out to the Western Basin of devils lake for our annual trip. Just wondering if anyone new how much snow they received last week. Also if anyone knows how travel has been out in that area. Any information on lake conditions would be appreciated. Thanks So much

Hoyt4
    NULL

Tracks only to get around. We head out next week pushed it out cause of the snow. We do have tracks to use but would rather drive around just don’t think that is going to happen. Friend going with was out last week to visit the inlaws and check the lake out. Plenty of snow not a lot of ice it will go fast this year once the warm up starts. Looking forward to the trip its fun time and plenty of fish you can catch.

Nodakk

I will be out there next week as well. Everything I’ve heard has been tracks only as well

Hoyt4
    NULL

Checked in last night with another buddy i use to play ball with now living there. Nothing but tracks to get around. Woodlands has roads to their houses but no other travel around most of the lake without track.

Fish are not getting as much pressure and going to be some great fishing with many areas not being pressured.

FinnyDinDin

My buddy was just up there out of woodlands in their houses and fishing was lousy. They left early. There was a snow bear fishing tourney and some of the guys crushed it. It was painful for them to go in to the cleaning shack to clean their 5 small walleyes and see cleaning tables full of big ole jumbos. So fishing should be pretty decent if you have the mode of transport to get around and can find em. Good luck.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The last thing I would do on Devils would be rent a permanent house. You HAVE to stay mobile on Devils. The fish are always roaming. Not a shot at anyone renting houses but the reality is it’s going to be much tougher to catch fish staying stationary, especially on that lake. Have a buddy that’s gone there twice and rented a house both times and only caught a handful of fish over a weekend. When I’ve been it hasn’t been incredible, but moving and checking different depths and basins, and sunken roads have yielded much better results.

icex

We have gone out there every year for the past eight years in a row. Always the weekend after New Years. We have gone out of Woodlands in permanent houses. Don’t even bother with that it’s a waste of money. Went out a couple years with Perch Patrol in portables and that was much better. The last four years has been in Sno Bears and there is no other way to do it imo. Always buckets of nice jumbos and Walleye mixed in. The wind can blow out there and will keep the portables off the lake but as we say Sno Bear don’t care!

I was supposed to leave today for my second trip this year but the wife broke her ankle slipping on the ice last week so that put the kibosh on that!

FinnyDinDin

Yea I told them woodlands houses would suck and to bring their sleds and at least be able to run around in the day and try to find them. They didn’t listen and then got grumpy and left early. One of the guys in their group is shopping for snowbears now lol.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yea I told them woodlands houses would suck and to bring their sleds and at least be able to run around in the day and try to find them. They didn’t listen and then got grumpy and left early. One of the guys in their group is shopping for snowbears now lol.

Woodlands is awesome, but houses from anyone on that lake are not going to be very successful.

orve4

Anyone Been to Devils lately and know how much ice they have? how are the access points. Heading out in a couple weeks for our annual tip up trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

stjoeguy

I was at Devils Lake on Feb 9 and 10. I’m guessing 18″ of ice. The accesses were closed right before we got there because of the warm weather. They were a sloppy, muddy mess. I heard that some guides were cancelling trips that week before. A cold front came through right before we got there, however, and the access was OK, but the fishing was the worst ever. Talking with other groups while we were there nobody was getting anything those two days. I’m sure fishing was great after we left. That’s fishing! There was very little snow and the ice was pretty bare when we were there, so cleats were essential.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Woodland has a webcam – you’ve likely seen it. Here is another look from the other side of Creel Bay looking west from military point – Lakewood Access.

https://gondtc.com/webcams/

Rick Janssen

I was out Feb 10-14. We traveled in SxS with tracks and basically had not problems getting on the lake or traveling around. As stated the fishing was really slow because of the cold front that went through on the 8th. Our best day was the last day because of the steady weather for the few days we were there. Perch were no where to be found (7 guys, 3 days fishing, 3 perch). We did manage to bang out enough fish to eat on the first day because we caught some nice norther. I think the first day was only 5 walleye

slough

Even the few guide reports I’ve seen said it has been a tough bite in general this winter. Wonder what gives.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.