Detroit Lakes Area Report 12-17

• loren_keizer

Well I took my son, Lucas, for a quick run out for some crappies tonight on an area lake. A buddy of mine was already out in his permanent and with the time we had, it just worked out best to run the sled out and fish with him.

Upon arrival he said the fishing was fair and that you had to take advantage of when the schools moved thru.

I quickly got Lucas setup with a bobber rod and a LX-5, as he needs to fish with electronics too He had two quick misses, as I tried to set the hook and hand the rod off to him. Well that wasn’t working.

I started to get in on the catching, getting some fish between 10.5-12″ in length. I was reeling in one of the fish when Lucas told me his bobber was going down again. I told him to take it and needless to say he did a great job handling the fish on this own. I did aid in holding the rod a bit, but he pulled in a nice 15″ walleye on his own. Needless to say he was pumped!

We continued to catch a few more crappies and it was time to go. We went home with 3 crappies and the 1 walleye. Releasing 5-6 other crappies and missing a few others as well.

It was a fun first time out on the ice with Lucas and of course he had to tell mom all about it when we got home!

The best thing was at supper, when he said,” Mom, I think you should get me a snowmobile, auger and fish house for me for Christmas!” He is his father’s son!!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Way to go Lucas, show dad how to catch those walleyes

Those smiles are priceless.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I absolutely love his Christmas list!!!

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.