Depth Finder options and opinions

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Howdy…

My current rig is a 16 foot Lund tiller. I have a Humminbird 788ci with the latest Lake Master chip in the back and my old FL-8 up on the bow with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor. The Vex is getting old and I’d like to do an upgrade. My current thinking is to move the 788ci up front. I’d like to eliminate the trolling motor transducer so I’d get a transducer cable extension cable and use the transducer on the transom. Then get something better for a unit in back. I should also note that I’m primarily a Bass fisherman and I don’t do a lot of trolling or fish out in the open water.

So some questions…

1) Is there any real benefit to side imaging if you’re primarily fishing shallow water?
    2) Is the 7 inch screen big enough to show SI detail?
    3) is there a significant difference between gen 2 and gen 3, other than the price difference?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

SR

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Howdy…

My current rig is a 16 foot Lund tiller. I have a Humminbird 788ci with the latest Lake Master chip in the back and my old FL-8 up on the bow with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor. The Vex is getting old and I’d like to do an upgrade. My current thinking is to move the 788ci up front. I’d like to eliminate the trolling motor transducer so I’d get a transducer cable extension cable and use the transducer on the transom. Then get something better for a unit in back. I should also note that I’m primarily a Bass fisherman and I don’t do a lot of trolling or fish out in the open water.

So some questions…

1) Is there any real benefit to side imaging if you’re primarily fishing shallow water?
    3) is there a significant difference between gen 2 and gen 3, other than the price difference?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

SR

IMO,
    1) yes, side imaging is beneficial for most applications especially in finding structure

2) 7” is about the minimum. I ran a 5” for a few years…it was “ok” but obviously big is better. Get the biggest you can afford. If it’s only 7”, you’ll make it work. But don’t count on split screens. My 5 found me many new places but my current 8 is a world of difference.

3) can’t speak on difference between the gens but always get the newest technology…

Ns

Make a choice on what unit to run your lake maps in the rear being you go from spot to spot from there. Before we paid for screen size, now we pay for type of transducer.

LabDaddy1

X2 on biggest screen size you can get away with. Makes a big difference.

Paul D
    Roseville

I recently installed a new Terrova with built in MEGA DI, and a Helix 7. I have been running Lowrance units. IMO, and it could be that I still don’t have the Helix setup properly, I am not that impressed with the DI view, the brightness of the Helix is nowhere near the Lowrance. I have talked with a few Humminbird users, and they agreed with me that the birds aren’t as bright as the Lowrance units. Honestly, and again, this just could be me, I spent about an hour on the phone with Humminbird support on Saturday to get a few kinks worked out, so still waiting to see if this is all going to work. I purchased a Lakemaster chip, and the Helix 7 did not recognize it when it was inserted, Humminbird support even had me pull the boat out of the garage to see if it would work. Humminbird is sending me a new chip, but I really don’t think it’s the chip, just a gut feel.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Steve, I think you and I do a fair amount of similar-style fishing. I have Lowrance units. I have 7 inch units on both my console and bow. The console is a newer Carbon unit with HD mapping, side scan, and has a much bigger transducer mounted on the transom. The bow is about a 5 year old Elite unit with down scan and a smaller transducer that I have mounted to my bow mount. I find that the side scan is a more useful tool at the console as more of a search feature and standard 2-D sonar/down scan is better at the helm.

If you already have a Humminbird you intend to keep, it might be better to buy another one of those. Having units that are at least the same company is beneficial although I have seen people use more than one make in the same rig.

As for the screen size, I think a 7 inch unit is adequate but quite often you can find a 9 inch unit for the same price when there is a sale or clearance if you look hard enough.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Hey Steve,

1) Yes. I think its especially beneficial for shallow water applications because you can locate fish w/o having to drive the boat over them.
    2) No. I would recommend 9″ min. I have a 12″ and I still have to remove my glasses and squint at the screen.
    3) For Helix’s there doesn’t seem to be much of a difference. But I would still recommend the latest model, which is actually G4 for the Helix.

JP

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Ouch. OK, back to the drawing board. A Helix 9 Gen 4 with side imaging is WAY over my budget, that just isn’t going to happen.

Guess I’m back to my original idea with the 788ci in the back and pick up a Piranha 4 for the front.

Thanks for the input and advice Gentlemen!

SR

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Steve, Jason’s hbird is the size of a Vegas billboard. You can see it from space.

Go either get the last gen helix 7 or 9 or the last gen garmin 73 or 93. 9” is ideal for SI but you’ll be fine with a 7.

Matt L
    Twin Cities

If your going with a Bird, the difference between gen 2 and gen 3 is worth the extra money, I would not get under a gen 3 Helix if side imaging is important to you. I run an 8 inch Gen 3, and a 7 would work just fine, as most the time I have my map up too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.