Delicious Foods – That others here may not have tried

• blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snake ii’s wrote:</div>
    Lutefisk – Dad loved it, the runnier the better as he would say. I would eat it just to prove that I’m Swedish, but it isn’t something I would ask for.

Never understood why someone would take perfectly good cod and wreck it by doing this

Because it’s delicious!
    But really it was done because they would dry the cod to keep throughout the winter out of necessity. From what I’ve heard, lutefisk is not common at all anymore in Scandinavia and it’s basically just Americans who eat it around Christmas time as tradition.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I grew to really like limburger cheese spread by Mohawk valley then it went away.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Kimchi –
    Wait, I hate that stuff!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

There’s a Szechuan place by my house that does pork tripe in chili sauce that I love. I like weird stuff, I cleaned some eelpout last weekend and fried the livers, wasn’t like any liver I’ve had, was creamy almost like brains

Brent Siebenaler

Since a few folks have mentioned German dishes…. outside of my family I have never met another person who has had Startchels(sp?). Basically buckwheat flour cooked with some water until it clumps up, and then fried in butter until “browned”. Served with warm milk, melted butter and bacon bits. Even better if you make the bacon first and add some bacon grease to the butter when browning.

Every time I try describing it to someone I find myself thinking “why do I eat this”….but it’s one of those comfort foods from childhood that will always be good.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Peanut butter & jelly.

Campbells Tomato soup.

Pork chops & beef.

I’m not very adventurous. sad

maddogg

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>
    Beef Tartar – AKA “Tiger Meat”.
    A local shop by me grounds fresh sirloin and mixes it with onions and a few other things. Eaten 100% raw and cold, usually on a cracker.

VERY good.

A good beef Tartar is yummy. had it several time and loved it.

Very good is right on.Eaten on rye bread with butter,ground sirloin. salt and pepper,and raw onions.
    We call them cannibal sandwiches.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Since a few folks have mentioned German dishes…. outside of my family I have never met another person who has had Startchels(sp?). Basically buckwheat flour cooked with some water until it clumps up, and then fried in butter until “browned”. Served with warm milk, melted butter and bacon bits. Even better if you make the bacon first and add some bacon grease to the butter when browning.

Every time I try describing it to someone I find myself thinking “why do I eat this”….but it’s one of those comfort foods from childhood that will always be good.

Interesting, I’m from a very German family and never heard of it. Sounds similar to Spatzle. Other good German foods I like, Sauerbraten, Schweinshaxe and Hasenpfeffer but I usually only get when at a German restaurant, we don’t have any longtime family recipes and they are all pretty time consuming.

Also, hard pass on Limberger cheese, it may taste amazing, but I can’t get passed the smell. My Grandpa used to eat it religiously and my mom and aunt would make him store it outside, or it’d stink up the whole cabin.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Peanut butter & jelly.

Campbells Tomato soup.

Pork chops & beef.

I’m not very adventurous. sad

Your correct Dutchboy. That is not real adventurous eating. I think I’d eat anything in this post before Campbells Tomato soup. Not really sure why, but that stuff really grosses me out. My wife and I made a deal in our house. I will not make and eat Cabbage, Sauerkraut, or Tuna if she will not make and eat Campbells Tomato soup. It hard because I love Cabbage, Sauerkraut, and Tuna and she loves Campbells Tomato soup. We both tend to catch up on those thing when the other is away from home for a few days.

catmando
    wis

I once witnessed how blood soup was made…..Not a chance in hell! But they loved it!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

you guyz sure eat some really weird stuff!!!!!!!!! devil rotflol rotflol

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Laab (or larb depending on the type) is delicious

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Had to Google this one. Its a Thai Food. It sounds like something I’d like to try. Do you know of any places that serve it?? I have ate at lots of Thai restaurants and never seen it on a menu

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I once witnessed how blood soup was made…..Not a chance in hell! But they loved it!

I’m open minded but that doesn’t sound real tasty.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There’s a Szechuan place by my house that does pork tripe in chili sauce that I love. I like weird stuff, I cleaned some eelpout last weekend and fried the livers, wasn’t like any liver I’ve had, was creamy almost like brains

Not sure I’d be quick to jump on the Eelpout livers but I’d eat the hell out of the backstrap’s boiled in 7 Up and dipped in melted butter. I wish eelpout was a fish more easily catchable in local lakes.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Kimchi –
    Wait, I hate that stuff!

I’m hit and miss with Kimchi. I’ve had some that was really good and other that I would not feed my worst enemy.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

Had to Google this one. Its a Thai Food. It sounds like something I’d like to try. Do you know of any places that serve it?? I have ate at lots of Thai restaurants and never seen it on a menu

SE Asian, it could be Thai, Lao, Cambodian. It is easy to make, the hard part is getting Laab powder (ground roasted rice powder), add chicken or beef, lime, cilantro, chilis and thinly sliced pig skin if you want, mix and eat.

You can find it at more traditional SE Asian restaurants or my house!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Pekarnas meats in Jordan makes some awesome pickled pork hocks, they even slice them thin so you get all the gristle and everything in every bite. Also had cows foot soup in Belize, amazing! Fishthumper, sounds like you need to put together a get together for weird food…seems there’d be a good turnout

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just ordered this weird thing in Wis called a Brandy old fashioned. Makes me feel ‘funny’. jester toast

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220121_180717105-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just ordered this weird thing in Wis called a Brandy old fashioned. Makes me feel ‘funny’. jester toast

Lol,
    Sitting in MSP poundin a couple of those on my way to see the Southern Belle.
    Getting de-iced as we speak

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>
    We used to make cupworst (sp?). Traditionally it was made by boiling the head of the cow to get all the meat off of it when butchering…when we made it we would just use trimmings. It would end up a bit mushy and very rich. You would pack it into square molds and freeze it. We would slice it up thin and fry it so the outside was crisp and the inside was soft yet, normally a breakfast meat.

Looks like what we made is close to Kochwurst, we used lots of allspice and barley in ours.

We do something similar but with pig head. Called Gritwurst or in german, Gritfaust. I use pork roasts now.
    Anyhow, boil it up and remove bone, teeth and grisel. Run it through the grinder, then add steel cut oats, spices usually all spice and pepper. Cook it up in a roaster until thick then in pans to cut in squares after cool and freeze.
    Fry it up and eat. I like it crispier rather than softer.

My oh my this thread brings back memories growing up at the farm. My grand father made this often. Only difference is once ground it was packaged like ground meat and frozen. Grandma would fry it up in the old cast iron skillet for breakfast and served it with over-easy or sunny side eggs on top straight from the chicken coup! Delicious!

catmando
    wis

I buy a 5 lb bag of Crawdads, its a treat!

Alex Fox

Replying to the specken decken quote above.

Captain Musky…specken decken (spelling?) is a German Pancake that my aunt and uncle still make for everyone on New Years Morning. It’s made with a different type of flour (more brown, wheat flour maybe???), anise seed to give a licorice flavor, a sausage in the middle, and a whole lot of brown sugar. They are tasty!

CaptainMusky

Replying to the specken decken quote above.

Captain Musky…specken decken (spelling?) is a German Pancake that my aunt and uncle still make for everyone on New Years Morning. It’s made with a different type of flour (more brown, wheat flour maybe???), anise seed to give a licorice flavor, a sausage in the middle, and a whole lot of brown sugar. They are tasty!

Cool! Since I posted that I searched for it and surprisingly even though I couldnt spell it I found it LOL.
    I really wish I had it when my grandma made it. All my cousins raved about it, but she never made it when I happened to be around them. Loved her pan fried chicken and apple pie however. Totally fat free!

Alex Fox

I can just see the lard in all of grandma’s cooking…but that’s why it tasted better.

stevenoak

Odd this would come up. My wife and I just walked in the door from a Polish restaurant in Florida. They were closed last year due to Covid, and spotty this year. We leave next week, so she checked, and they were open today. Had Pierogi, cabbage rolls and red cabbage. Grabbed Napolitans and paczkis to bring home. Ate lots of Cinch fritters and raw conch in 60′ of water while scuba diving in Grand Cayman.

CaptainMusky

I can just see the lard in all of grandma’s cooking…but that’s why it tasted better.

100% the “oleo” and Crisco was never in short supply.

stevenoak

I buy a 5 lb bag of Crawdads, its a treat!

Searching info a while ago on crawdads in Minnesota. I ran across the MDNR link to get a permit to import DEAD,FROZEN,COOKED Louisiana craw fish. Said to apply a week before you plan to order or import. Anyone do this. I would figure cooking and freezing would eliminate the chance of someone letting them loose.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ate lots of Cinch fritters and raw conch in 60′ of water while scuba diving in Grand Cayman.

In the Bahamas you will find Conch served about 5 ways on every restaurant menu. Conch fritters are Yummy.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.