Deertrackers food plots 2020

• deertracker

Not a good year for me as far as plotting goes. Got up to the hunting land for the first time this summer. We had way to much water last fall. Add the 16 inches of snow this spring feom one storm and 5 inches of rain last week and we are swimming here. Got a good start this afternoon until i broke a pin on the cultivator. Walked back to the camper and it started downpouring along with hail. We are now in a tornado warning. Worried I might not be able to get the tractor out of the field once I fix the cultivater. smirk
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20200617_133937.jpg

1. Snapchat-663748910.mp4
    deertracker

We are currently getting blasted with a second more powerful storm. My plots that I was working on are officially flooded out. flame
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20200617_194149.jpg

deertracker

The last 2 pics were before the 2nd storm. The tracks in that plot were from a wheeler. This is a pic of the corn that is about 4 inches tall.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20200617_194042.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Dang dude! That looks miserable.

deertracker

Ended up with 3.5 to 4 inches of rain last night. On top of the 5 last week. The small river that goes through the property is up about 4 feet from yesterday.
    DT

Sharon
    SE Metro

Holy crap.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

That looks a little… moist…

Ironically, in east central MN, we were dry as a bone. It is raining now at my farm in the Hinckley area, but it was dryer than a popcorn fart when I was up there on Monday. We really needed rain badly, the soybeans were getting pretty desperate.

Always difficult when you want to get something done and the weather won’t cooperate. Ive been trying to spray and the last week or more these winds have made it impossible. Even in the early morning, it’s 7 gusting to 12…

Grouse

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That’s a real bummer DT. Looks like its back to the rye in late summer if it dries out. Sad that what you have planted is getting drown flame

I had one chance to get to my plots at the farm 2 weeks ago, they looked ok, but not great. I wont be back until fall I don’t think.

deertracker

Finally made it back up. Corn is only about 2 feet high in most areas. There is a small section that is taller but no cobs yet. Did work up a strip next to the corn and planted rye. It’s about 5 yards wide and 250 long. Nothing else I planted grew as expected because it all flooded out.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. Snapchat-791623465.jpg

2. Snapchat-1453088278.jpg

Pailofperch

Tough conditions for growing up there for ya. I feel your pain. My Dad’s where I hunt had so many trees blow down this spring and then again in July, I got nothing planted. I’ll be cutting trees just to clear trails till October.

deertracker

I did that as well. Ran a lot of gas through the saw. Cleared 2 trails. Moved one of our rifle stands into a better spot and cleared a trail to my bow stand on the river.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Growing conditions have been all over the place this year.

I had several customers tell me their spring crops, mainly soybeans, were an epic fail. Burned up in the plots as the young plants germinated then ran out of moisture when the plants were 3-5 inches high. Same happened to some clover plots.

On the other end of the scale, a lot of NW has been very, very wet. Again, have heard multiple customers say it was too wet to plant brassicas in the mid-summer so they were calling looking for Plan B options.

And then a portion of the state has had almost perfect growing conditions. Dry enough to plant, wet enough to keep things growing.

It’s a bummer DT. You can do everything else right and the weather can still take you down, just no getting around it.

I have to say, you had the Grand Prize for the best looking Mega Clover Plus plot ever. Man that was a nice plot.

Grouse

Pailofperch

And now how many more inches of rain did you get??? Geepers. ???

castle-rock-clown

Is there any way you could install drainage ditches leading to your lowest ground? Even just a few inches can make a difference. If the area flooding due to flat terrain, but still drained well, installing drainage ponds could ballast rainwater and then drain into subsoil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.