Didn’t go down without a fight

• gobbler
    Central, MN

Well, archery season is officially over. I will say; “Even though I didn’t kill a deer this year, it was the most productive season that I have ever had and I learned more this year than the past 5 yrs combined.”

December was cold and I spent many nights chasing deer in sub-zero temps. I felt like I was back in “my first years” of trial and error. It didn’t take long to locate good food sources and get new set-ups. I had some unbelievable hunts in MN & WI toward the end of season. There were several evenings where I saw multiple bucks and between 10-20 deer per sit.

The last sit of the season in MN (New Year’s Eve), I passed up (3) 1.5 yr olds and 1 doe with 15-20 mins left before I had to wave the white flag. It felt great to have one last close encounter to end the season.

The last sit in WI (Jan. 5th) was 2 hrs of super cold second guessing and wondering if it’s all worth it. With the temp at -16 degrees and windchill in the -30 range I wasn’t surprised when the deer started to head toward the standing corn earlier than normal. In all, I passed up (5) 1.5 year old bucks(including a cool looking little 11 pt 6 x 5) and 6 does/fawns. I quit counting at 20+ deer and saw a good 2.5 yr old 8 pt and healthy 3.5 yr old 9 pt.

Fortunately I stayed warm because there were deer within 20-40 yards of my set-up for the last 45 mins. Even the deer that were downwind knew something was up but the cold and desire for food to survive outweighed my presence of danger.

For the first time in 4 years, I will be boiling up some type of MN tag soup tonight and enjoying a side sandwich with my WI tag.

I went down swinging and wouldn’t change this past season for a successful one from the past (except 07′).

Good Hunting!!!
    Gobbler

->>>————>

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

It was a valiant effort, you will be rewarded next season for sure

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I know you and Todders were fighting til the end. Good job men!!

devel

Heck a job sticking at it. My plan was to try and get out this weekend, but after reading the thermometer I opted out. I envy your drive!

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

You have more willpower to fill a tag than I do when it gets as that far below zero.

What was the oldest age and est. score of the oldest or biggest deer you actually could have tagged out on this year but let walk? I’m behind your standards of what a shooter is to you 100%, I’m just curious. Better luck next year!

gobbler
    Central, MN

KentuckyBoy-

Here’s a pic of the best buck I passed up this year. I had him at 25-28 yards on 12/15. It was -13 when I got back to the truck. He is 3.5 and in the 125-130″ range. He’s a wonderer and goes back and forth between a fellow IDO’ers property and mine. Hopefully he sticks around and grows for next year.

You can see where I smashed a mineral block in the snow on the black and white pic and the time. I passed him the following day and hadn’t had a pic of him since 11/11/13, almost a month prior. I was glad to see he made it.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Am I the only one wondering where the hell you hunt that has an 11 point 1.5 yr old?!?!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

Am I the only one wondering where the hell you hunt that has an 11 point 1.5 yr old?!?!

Exactly haha I was certain that one of your giants was going to walk by after gun season. You’re gonna have some studs next year nice job sticking it out, ricco!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.