deer calls?

• jeweler
    Wisconsin

What do you guys recommend for “blind” calling deer? I have a grunt tube, but am looking for something else- something louder on those windy days- just something different. Was looking at a buck roar, snort wheeze, etc. What have been some consistent producers or a call you would not leave at home? Thanks, Jeweler

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have had great success using the Primos Estrus / bleat can call. I think I’ve had more bucks respond to this call than I have to a Grunt call.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

rattling antlers.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Quote:

rattling antlers.

x2

I have also had multiple Cans and grunt calls from Primos, but they keep breaking They are under lifetime warranty, but once I returned 4 Cans because they stopped working. I like the Primos Buck Roar for the loud snort wheeze and roar (both helped me kill Tank). If this breaks, I’m going with something from M.A.D.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

rattling antlers.

x2

I have also had multiple Cans and grunt calls from Primos, but they keep breaking They are under lifetime warranty, but once I returned 4 Cans because they stopped working. I like the Primos Buck Roar for the loud snort wheeze and roar (both helped me kill Tank). If this breaks, I’m going with something from M.A.D.

I’ve had the same can call for almost 10 years now ( Knock on wood ) Never has a problem.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

As far as grunt calls go I have tried many different brands over the years. I believe that the Hunters Specialities True Talker is still one of the best sounding calls made. Until I come accross one that i think sounds better I’m going to stay with it.

X2 on the True Talker. I LOVE that call and have yet to find anything that sounds better.

I also carry a snort wheeze and a Primos Can call but the True Talker gets the most attention.

johnee

Quote:

I have had great success using the Primos Estrus / bleat can call. I think I’ve had more bucks respond to this call than I have to a Grunt call.

I would love to hear the details on when/how you’re using this call. Time of year, sequence you use, etc.

I’ve been trying to use this call for 7-8 years now and had a sumb total of one young buck come roaring in. He was whipped up enough that I thought, hey this works but I’m obviously not using it right or at the right time year.

Advice please.

Grouse

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Quote:

I would love to hear the details on when/how you’re using this call. Time of year, sequence you use, etc.

I’ve been trying to use this call for 7-8 years now and had a sumb total of one young buck come roaring in. He was whipped up enough that I thought, hey this works but I’m obviously not using it right or at the right time year.

Advice please.

Grouse

I’ve had the best success with the can call on the days that the wind is rather light. The sound of it does not seem to carry well on windy days. I usually start the morning rather early with the can. I will make the 1st call with it Prior to legal shooting light. Most of the time it takes a buck a little while to locate the sound and they tend not to come in running to it. I then tend to mix up the can call and the grunt call as the day goes along. I probably call more often than I should. I hunt on a potlatch lease in central minnesota and with the amount of pine’s the deers movements tend to be rather random and the deer tend to move around alot so I call in hopes that at somepoint in time a deer may be withing call range and will decide to respond to it. I also find that the can call tends to work the best late into the rut and during the late rut when the # of does to chase becomes less. I’ve also had a fair amount of Does respond to the call which is fine with me. My group of hunters are more of a meat hunting group and do not have a problem with a mature doe or 2 each season off of the lease land. I really don’t think i do anything special with the call. Just use it and they seem to respond. The spot I’ve shot my last 3 bucks from is not much of a big travel area but must be within sound range of one because all 3 bucks came if clearly looking to locate the sound of the call ( random area’s they came from – No clear trail )

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

x3 on the True talker.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Rattling has by far worked the best for me. Location and wind direction are important for all calling in my opinion.

I have never had much luck at all with that dang can call.

johnee

Excellent reply, Buck Wacker, thanks.

One more question: How do you use the bleat can? Is it one single bleat? A sieries of 3-4 bleats and then quiet? What is the sequence you use?

Grouse

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I use just one Grouse, give it 5 minutes like the deer is looking for another deer and bleet again. I’ve heard them bleat to try to locate the rest of the herd to regroup. They bleat only once and they wait for a response, if none comes their way they will bleat again, when they do bleat their very cautious and all ears and eyes. Something I’ve found out in this area is don’t over call. About 10 years ago I had been rattling for 3 days on a ridge and you could hear the sound come back to you from about a mile away. Id do a sequence about every 1/2 hr and when I did I put on a show for any buck listening, rattling the racks, hitting the limbs with the racks and grinding the bases together, when hunting from the ground I hit the bases of the racks against the ground making it sound like their hooves. On the 4th morning I was late getting to my stand and seen a 190″ buck 75 yrds from my stand. He walked off in the woods from out of this alfalfa field with the doe he was tending, and Id bet he was in that area looking for what bucks were fighting that I was mimicking and were maybe trying to take his doe from him. One thing I did was leave my rattling rack in the tree and when the wind blew it rattled them some.

When it comes to can calls I used Primos and so did a guy that shot a 183 5/8th” a couple years later. He told me he seen the buck walk out of the bluffside woods on a trail he knew was there and head away from his stand. The day was calm and one of those days where sound travels good, He tipped the can over and the buck that was 200 yrds away, stopped looked back over his shoulder, turned around and walked right under this guys stand where he shot him. He said he doesn’t over call too and doing this makes them search for the doe in heat. There’s certain times when any call will work and other when the best callers in the world can’t get any response at all. Sometimes they will come running from the banging of the tree stand when its being put up. I used to use a turkey diaphram call that I had in my mouth all the time while hunting from my tree stand. Once in awhile when nothing was moving and seemed like the whole woods had fallen asleep Id Yelp real loud a few times and it seemed like things would start moving again. I don’t think there is a time where you can get them at will as their always going to do what they want, sometimes come running and others just lay there along the fenceline and dose the day away until night comes. I’ve had better luck with can calls then grunt tubes and that all depends on how many bucks are in the area competing for the available does. I hunt any area where there’s more mature does because their the first to come into heat. Any feeding area where theres more does then the rest of the area is a good place for early season bowhunting because the bucks aren’t far away and within 3/4 of a miles which isn’t far in the woods. If the next morning is going to be low or no wind and with lots of moisture on the ground be in your stand way before it starts to turn to day break.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

rattling antlers.

x3

I really only do any calling when the pre rut and early rut are really rolling anymore. I used to use cans but never had any luck with them and probably wasn’t using them during the right time. However, I bring a grunt/wheeze tube most of the season and some rattling antlers when things are really going. Grunt tube I only use when I see a buck in the distance and think I can entice him closer (maybe a few times a year at most). When I blind call I always think about all those sparring and fights I’ve seen through the years (mostly younger bucks). They almost always start off with an exchange of grunts, then a time of posturing, and then a pushing match. When I blind call I try and replicate this, restricting air at the end of the grunt tube allows for different tones and air flows that break the reed; I work to sound like two bucks, then give it some time before rattling as though they are posturing, then try and replicate a pushing match much more than really hammering on the horns. Typically give it a half hour or more as a shorter frequency often brings in the same younger buck that I just had leave.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

True Talker grunt tube and rattling antlers do it for me.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

The Buck Roar sounds as good blown softly as it does when you make LOUD grunts with it.

I have had the best luck when I mix tending grunts with can calling back and forth.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Wow- what a wealth of information. This is great. Keep em coming! Thanks

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Excellent reply, Buck Wacker, thanks.

One more question: How do you use the bleat can? Is it one single bleat? A sieries of 3-4 bleats and then quiet? What is the sequence you use?

Grouse

I tend to mix it up some. Once in awhile if things seem real slow I will do a series of 3 with 30 Seconds in between. Mostly just a single every 1/2 Hr’s or so. The few times that I have heard a series of bleats is when a doe was actually being breed or when a late fawn was by itself and alone. Both times I saw this happen a buck appeared in the area rather shortly after I saw/heard it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.