Trail Cameras

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

WOW!!!!!!
    Incredible footage! LOVE IT!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Southeast Minnesota

I gotta invest in some new trail cameras this year. I have been looking into a few different companies. I would like to keep the price under $160, any suggestions from fellow members. Gander Mtn. has some sales on Spypoint cameras, so if any members have input on them that would be great!

Thanks, Jordan.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I have heard good things about the spypoint cameras, I personally use the covert cameras with very good results.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m not sure if you have looked here already or not. Here is a link to a very informative camera review website. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.trailcampro.com/

joef
    La Crosse, WI

I just picked up a new one this year, moultrie M-880 and i really like it. Very small, runs on 8 double A’s, 8 megepixel pics, fast trigger time and i especially like how easy it is to pop open and access the the SD card or even remove the batteries. I have several older moultries and they are reliable which is what i like, i have tried the cuddy backs and have had really bad reliability with them.

johnee

I can only speak for what I own, which isn’t much, but I did a lot of research before buying a Bushnell Trophy Cam 8.0 MP Bone Collector edition.

The features that I like:

– Ability to run on just 4 AA batteries or you can add 4 more for a total of 8AA batteries. Battery life, even with just 4 batteries, has been excellent. I’ve gone 3-4 months on 4 batteries before the meter shows they are even half depleted.

– Small size with camo. Easily hidden and very hard to see. I’ve walked right past my own camera.

– Trigger speed is great and false triggers seem to be minimal. Every photo seems to have a deer or some other animal in it. No “what was that” type triggers where there is just an empty frame.

– Ability to shoot 8 MP, 5 MP or 3 MP and total control over shots per minute once triggered, etc. I set it up to take 1 pic ever 15 seconds and 3MP seems to be plenty good.

– Night pics are good enough and very comparable to what I see from other cams.

I’m going to buy another one soon.

Grouse

devel

That’s quite a website. No idea it existed, I had to do it the old fashioned way when picking a camera…by looking at a bunch of different websites!

Or you could tie a piece of thread between two branches on a trail…..but that would have been before my time!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I’ve been satisfied with my Covert MP6, Bushnell Trophy Cam (3-5megapixel), and Cuddeback Capture. I run my MP6 and Trophy Cam on video mode during hunting season, and picture during the summer. The MP6 has a great trigger speed, as does the the Trophy Cam, and the night videos are great.
    The downside to the MP6 and Trophy cam is that the video lengths are unreliable in low-light. I have them set at 30 sec video clips, but for some reason they play anywhere from 2-15 seconds I can’t figure out why this is…

Jason Beaulieu
    Wisconsin

Another thumbs up on the trailcampro.com. lots of info! As most i have ran through the array of buying the cheap cameras in that $60-$100 range because hey if i buy two thats better than having only one out right? well, not when they work until it gets cold or die after one season and 10 sets of batteries… Had what seemed to be a good year last year with the truth cam 46 ultras and the blackout, good battery life and good sensors. blackout seemed to always have trouble figuring out if it wanted to take a IR photo or color at that “twilite” hour, and once batteries started to wear down the movement pictures began to get blurry. Then this summer rolls around and out of three cameras my hunting partner and myself have of the primos brand all three had some form of a malfunction, both ultra cams would not stay on or wouldn’t read the card and the blackout’s battery life went downhill?!? couldn’t keep batteries in it for over a week or so, and customer service was NOT very helpful, had an ultra 46 that was 2 weeks over warranty and got no help. (not that i am fully expecting help but felt maybe some leniency could be given due to the unworkable camera issues…..is what it is) but have two moultrie 880’s from last year that are still working great, along with 5 of the 990i’s from this year that are so far flawless! great sensors, i don’t think any blurry shots, have had all cams out since week after july 4th just changed batteries two weeks ago, all set on high mp and 3 pics a minute. the 990’s have a video mode that is pretty darn cool over this years first scrapes with sound that is about what you would expect from a trail cam mic. but no choppy video in daylight or dark, and no noise whatsoever when turning in video mode, which in some other models when changing to video mode it gives off a good click or tick sound. I believe they are still in that $160-$170 range, especially if you find a sale… would like to say thats my .02 cents but i think i typed enough for .10 cents…. good luck in your search!

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I second the new Moultrie 990i. For a black covert it has the best pics I have seen (much better than my Bushnell HD Black), super easy to use, great battery life and better than average trigger speed and very durable. Moultrie is slowly but surely making a strong comeback. If they had a 1/2 second trigger speed they would be alone in 2nd place in my opinion but tied for 3rd with many because of that. Pick your poison then pic the cam as I have 16 cameras out of all brands. Reconyx #1 for everything, Bushnell #2 for trigger speed, Moultrie #2 for overall pic quality and durability has been my experience.

FYI, got my last 2 990i’s for $148 on a popular website.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have 4 of the Moultrie M-80’s and love them!! In video mode when they trigger it takes a still pic them starts the video, very helpful to have both!

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

I have 2 Moultrie M880’s and they work GREAT! Both day and night shots look great. Battery life is awesome also.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can’t say anything that hasn’t been said except welcome to the hunting side Jason!!

john_steinhauer
    p4

I like the spy points I run. If you H ac E any questions shoot me a pm

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Southeast Minnesota

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I have been a member on both the fishing and hunting side for awhile, I just don’t ever post anything. I will try and post more now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.