Close encounter

• ozzyky
    On water

Anyone ever have a deer smell them? Literally touch there nose to your body? Happened to me today. (Saturday) I was sitting on the ground (my buddy asked already…you were on the ground? checking for intoxication I guess.) and a basket 8 came right in to me. At about 8 yards I figured he would bust me with the wind, but just kept coming. Got right to me and smelt my neck then worked his way down my jacket. As this was going on I had my gun resting on my leg with the barrel pointing towards his chest. NO plans on shooting him but not sure if he had any crazy ideas. After he checked me out he then smelt my can of moutain dew and then just stood there for about 30 seconds before moving on. Most memorable experience I’ve ever had. Maybe it happens more often but I’m rarely on the ground while hunting, this was the first time in ten years. Anyone else have any “close encounters?” I’ll take this to my grave still have a few buds who don’t beleive me and no I didn’t have any buds or smoke any kind of buds during this encounter

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I would like to know what scent eliminating spray you used That had to have been one huge adrenaline rush!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Never even heard of such a thing. That had to be AWESOME.

Just hope he didn’t mistake you for the doe in heat scent you had on your boots.

Quote:

I would like to know what scent eliminating spray you used That had to have been one huge adrenaline rush!!

Before this past weekend, I was skeptical, but not anymore.. Two words…NOSE JAMMER!!!!

After recommendations here on IDOH, I tried the product and I couldnt be more impressed.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I have several butt seats around the property I hunt and this weekend my daughter and I were in two that are close together. We had two doe come by, right under my daughters stand. She’s just 4-5 ft off the ground. The second one stopped right underneath her and starting sniffing the gear we had piled up below her stand.

For a first time hunter, it was quite a thrill for her!!

ET

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Counted 22 deer around my ground blind in the ’70’s and the closest does were within 5 feet of me, nothing any closer and it is really cool to get wildlife that close!!!

Mark

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Maybe it was a “tame” deer???

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

I would like to know what scent eliminating spray you used

Dead down Wind shower and field spray. NO other scents out. Only other thing is that I had pissed about 4 times throughout the day in the same spot a couple feet away from me.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to know what scent eliminating spray you used

Dead down Wind shower and field spray. NO other scents out. Only other thing is that I had pissed about 4 times throughout the day in the same spot a couple feet away from me.

Quite the combination of scent cover there!
    I have been close but never like what you or others are mentioning > maybe I just can’t be that still when something that darn exciting is happening.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.