Quality Mineral Supplement?

• kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Does this appear to be a quality product or is there more to a mineral block than the numbers. It is a 40# block from a big box farm supply store and is not advertised as a deer mineral supplement.

I’m planning on putting it out once I’m done hunting for the year. I have used lesser mineral blocks/rocks in the past and still believe that I have seen some results. Typically I would replenish sites in early spring since there would be some rock still there. This year I want to get it to the deer earlier in case they need some better minerals during the winter months.

Calcium 26% max
    Calcium 24% min
    Phosphorous 8% min
    Salt 16% max
    Salt 14% min
    Copper 80 ppm min
    Selenium 34 ppm min
    Zinc 1000 ppm min
    Iodine 100 ppm min

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Here is the info from the Nutra Deer Antler Builder product. I trust this product because I’ve witnessed our deer loving it. Another factor that sways me is when I see industry experts like Dr. Kroll utilizing these products based on scientific evidence.

Compare the product you are researching to the following.

Quote:

Nutra Deer ANTLER BUILDER Guaranteed Analysis
    Calcium 6% to 7%
    Phosphorus 4.5%
    Salt 50% to 55%
    Copper 34 ppm
    Iodine 15 ppm
    Zinc 135 ppm
    Selenium 4.5 ppm
    Vitamin A 14,000 IU/b

Other ingredients included are vitamins D3 ,E and a strong trace mineral package

I’ve had many conversations with Jeff at Nutra Deer about the amount of time and scientific research that has went into this product. I really believe it’s based on what is best for the deer’s health.

If you have any specific questions about the product, let me know. I’ll be sure we get answers.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Trophy rock. The deer hit mine really hard actually all the.animals do.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

There are quite a few decent “Deer Minerals” out there. I Have been testing products for more than 20 years I do believe that These blocks probably don’t contain the important

Trace mineral package that A product like Nutra Deer has built into it. I would also be concerned with the high levels of selenium that some of these blocks contain. Just my 2 cents.

“Selenium

At the other end of the scale is selenium. Selenium has a relatively small threshold for toxicity. In other words, toxicity can occur when the requirement is exceeded by a relatively small amount. In fact, the amount of selenium that can be used in a complete diet is government-regulated for many ruminant animals such as cattle, goats and sheep. In most cases, the maximum allowed in a complete diet is 0.3 ppm (milogram/kilogram = milograms of selenium per kilogram of total diet). Therefore, it is important when formulating a mineral/vitamin supplement to not have a selenium level that, when consumed at a typical amount, will cause the overall diet to have a selenium level exceeding 0.3 milograms of selenium per kilogram of total diet. In the side bar of this article, I have described an example using a hypothetical supplement containing 60 ppm of selenium, consumed at 2 ounces per deer per day, with the deer eating a total of 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) of diet per day. In this example, we find that the resulting selenium consumption would be 0.75 ppm or milograms per kilogram of total diet. This is a little over double the regulated amount for most ruminants (for more details, see sidebar).

Will this supplement cause toxicity in deer? Technically, a selenium toxicity level in deer has not been established. However one thing is for sure: in our example, the supplement, based on a deer eating 4.5 kilograms of total diet, including 2 ounces of the mineral/vitamin supplement, will certainly cause the selenium in the diet to exceed the regulated amount of 0.3 ppm (milogram/kilogram). Keep in mind that this regulation was put in place due to the small threshold between selenium requirement and toxicity. It is important to note that the regulatory amount of 0.3 ppm is used for domesticated ruminants and is also commonly accepted by most deer nutritionists as the maximum level to be used in diets. Disregard for the safety factor imposed by the regulatory number in product formulation, if not considered dangerous, should at least be considered reckless.

One factor we did not consider in our example is additional selenium coming from natural forages. Certain soils have a high selenium content making the forage have a higher than normal level of selenium. If you combine a high selenium supplement with forages already high in selenium, toxicity concerns become even greater. Yet another factor to consider is that selenium has been shown to build up or be stored in body tissues. Prolonged over-consumption of selenium may also place a deer at risk of toxicity. In other words, problems may not occur right away, but over time, symptoms may begin to show up. In some cases, however, symptoms may not be very apparent, which is the case for animals suffering from chronic toxicity. In cases where acute toxicity occurs, symptoms can include emaciation, loss of hair, soreness and sloughing of hooves, anemia, blindness, staggering, paralysis and death. Again, we need to understand that selenium is a vital trace mineral in a deer supplement. However, selenium formulation should be based on the best information we have available in terms of maximum amounts of selenium that should be supplemented in a diet. As I mentioned before, disregard for the safety factors built in by commonly accepted maximum selenium levels is risky and a disservice to deer hunters and managers.”

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Trophy rock. The deer hit mine really hard actually all the.animals do.

I have used TR for a few years. I’ll admit, they did pund those sites alot. The down side is it is 91% to 96% salt. That just doesn’t leave much room for anything else.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

I had nutra deer and trophy rock out this spring side by side and all the critters especially deer went to the trophy rock. The nutra deer ended up drying out and blowing away. Just my 2 cents.
    BTW Bob how does monster raxx work??

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

I had nutra deer and trophy rock out this spring side by side and all the critters especially deer went to the trophy rock. The nutra deer ended up drying out and blowing away. Just my 2 cents.
    BTW Bob how does monster raxx work??

Like I said in my post there are several good Deer minerals on the market… That being said who can afford $12.95 for a 5 lb bag of monster Raxx… We have put down more than 600 lbs of mineral this year that would have cost us more than $1500

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.