Pressure was on to put one down

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Good sign Chappy, thanks for the report

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

A couple months ago I had a small mishap and ‘cracked’ my elbow. More and more is feels as bad as the x-ray and CT’s look. I could draw my bow, but letting it back down damn near made me pass out. Target shooting was good, draw, fire! So hunting, I told myself to not draw on anything that might make me have to let it down. I so wanted to at least harvest a doe, figuring a buck would get the free pass for next year.
    A decision has been made and surgery is Monday. So last evening I went out, and within about 20 minutes this slick-head came in. The Rage 2 blade was on, but for the first time archery hunting, it was not a complete pass-through. Hit her on the left just behind the shoulder, but at the angle of entry, the rage hits the right shoulder. When I went to field dress her, after splitting the sternum, I slide my hand along her left side and felt the arrow shaft but I couldn’t hardly budge it. I had to put one leg on the deer to hold her down and both hands to work the Rage out of her. She had went about 40 yards, and the trail of carnage was horrific…needless to say, there’ll be sausage in the freezer, and I can now relax and concentrate on getting on the mend.

PS/ prayers appreciated for a speedy recovery….thanks IDO Team

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats!! I hope you heal fast!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Nice work on getting your deer Wish you well on the surgery recovery

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats, and good luck on the surgery

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Glad to hear you were able to get out and get a deer.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looks like some good eating there! Best wishes on the surgury. I may not be too far behind you in that category. I took a nasty spill stepping over my trailer tongue back in may with my H/bird 1197 in my hands. Fell over and landed directly on my left elbow. Still can’t lift more than a gallon of milk with it…
    Good Luck!

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Mmmmm deer sausage! Glad to hear you were able to get out and do a little hunting before surgery. Good shot

huntalot60
    wisconsin

way to go, glad you made it out

joef
    La Crosse, WI

nice work on the smoothie and good luck on the road to recovery. It always seems its best to fix those things early before they develop into something that isn’t fixable.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

It always seems its best to fix those things early before they develop into something that isn’t fixable.

Besides a couple ‘old-guy’ bone spurs digging in, you might be able to see the vertical crack on the back of the elbow. It’s where the triceps tendon attaches. Interestingly enough, I never knew it was broken like that. I could draw the bow(about 58#’s) and fire as I have been pre-season practicing. But, for whatever reason, once in practice I went to ‘let-down’ and OMG! did that hurt. Lit me right up. Go see the Doc, he says’, “pull on my hand”.No problem. He then says, “push my hand hard as you can.” I damn near passed out! ! ! He said, YEP! you have a broken elbow. I said “[censored]”! I think….
    Randy, You better get yours checked out!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.