Getting to your stand

• kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

I was just wondering how everyone goes to their stands when you go hunting. I have heard a few very different ideas and have used the first two from time to time.

1. Sneak into your stand as quietly as possible. Sort of like a sloppy spot and stalk to get to your stand. The upside – it minimizes noise. The downside – if a deer does hear you trying to sneak they feel threatened as though a predator is attempting to hunt them.

2. Walk as casually and almost clumsily to your stand as possible. The upside – you get to your stand quicker. When deer hear you going to your stand they almost ignore you since they don’t have natural predators that travel through their area so loudly when attempting to hunt them. The downside – it creates a huge amount of racket.

3. Skip to your stand. I have never used this method. The writer must have been working on a deadline and made this one up on the spot. This is supposed to break up the two legged gate when we walk and more closely resembles a four legged animal moving quickly through the woods. Yet again this would create a huge amount of noise.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If I don’t get in before 1st light in the AM, I hunt on the way in. I won’t walk in with some daylight, but not enough to shoot, I will wait until legal shooting hours and will not stalk, but rather moving with a purpose to get to the stand, looking WAY ahead and around me.

deertracker

I run as fast as I can because I’m affraid of the dark.
    DT

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I once read a long time ago that it can be beneficial to run to your stand during the rut. A buck that hears the commotion may be curious and think there’s a hot doe being chased and come into investigate

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

I once read a long time ago that it can be beneficial to run to your stand during the rut. A buck that hears the commotion may be curious and think there’s a hot doe being chased and come into investigate

Funny thing is I have heard this as well.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’m not even sure this matters. I’m mindful of scent control and I do try to be quiet but I’ve run into more deer while hustling AND sneaking than I care to admit to! I don’t know if it’s an issue of exposure, wind, pressure…… or anything at all! All I know is I try to control scent. Other than that, all you can do is follow your gut, based on your experiences. Most of my hustling was to get out of the woods before I lost all daylight (almost walked into a porcupine once so….. yeah!) and next thing I knew I’d see a flicker of white, the sound of hooves, and a snorting like I ain’t heard in months! Come to find out that it’s come from both bucks and does doing it to me too!

I think this is why it’s referred to as hunting and if you spend any time reading publications on the subject, we’re always encouraged to change up our tactics so we’re not so predictable to our quarry. We don’t want them patterning us. Therefore, (I’m actually gonna say it….. I know you see it coming…..) I think you should do all of the above from time to time. Shuffle it around so they don’t always know what’s going on or get familiar. This year….. I’ll try skipping and see what that does or doesn’t do because I know that’s never been done in my woods! Good luck to all!

huntalot60
    wisconsin

i use a tunnel i try to break up my steps so it does have the same pattern.

Scaup

We use the 4 wheeler to drive right up to our stands and never really had any problems with chasing deer out of the area. Case and point, I got dropped off by my stand and had to walk maybe 20yds, and during this whole time there where 6 deer bedded down on the opposite side of the wheeler by about 15yds. I did not realize they where there until the sun started to come up and they got up off their beds, but it was still before shooting time so no shot, then they just wandered away to feed for the morning.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

During archery season I will do whatever it takes to walk into the wind and as quietly as possible. During gun season I carry a shooting stick and use it like a cane to break up the sound of footsteps. In the future I want to get an electric golf cart and drive right to it .

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

During archery season I will do whatever it takes to walk into the wind and as quietly as possible. During gun season I carry a shooting stick and use it like a cane to break up the sound of footsteps. In the future I want to get an electric golf cart and drive right to it .

I may have one and found at least 3 more

deertracker

During the rifle season we drive our wheelers to the stand. Either park them right under it or 50 yards away. Never seemed to be an issue.
    DT

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

I run as fast as I can because I’m affraid of the dark.
    DT

X2

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I have to walk through a bull pasture on the way to one stand. Now normally, it’s not a big deal. However on those new moon nights when it’s pitch black, those black angus are hard to spot.

gobbler
    Central, MN

i will take my time and walk slowly. I try to be quiet and walk in from the opposite side that I expect to see and shoot a deer. If I can’t get into my stand from the back side, i will walk right in the middle of my shooting lane the last 40-50 yards. I figure if a deer does walk by, it will stop and smell my scent, giving me a perfect opportunity to shoot.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.