• jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Perch are great for the grease.
    I wouldn’t mind a day of perch action.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome!

Please send me coordinates to the perch via the PM(private message) system. They are terrible fish and we should rid the lake of them.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

good post, just wait a week or two and see in Isle Bay how many people “hate” perch! I’ll be up in 2 weeks, see how things are going then.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For eating I’d take an 11″ perch over a walleye ANY day.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

For eating I’d take an 11″ perch over a walleye ANY day.

Amen brother!

Welcome to IDO Pheasant Hunter. If you haven’t already done so, be sure to check out our hunting site at http://www.idohunting.com where you will find pheasant hunters like yourself!

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the report. Is there a better tasting fish than perch fillets from the fryer? Not that i’ve found.

PheasantHunter

Glad to hear I’m not the only one who likes them. I was getting worried. By the way I have been visiting this web site and have found it very helpful,interesting and entertaining. I love the area up there and hope to make it a yearly trip with my dad and some friends. Everyone we met up there was helpful and friendly, beside the lady with the “yuk” comment.

kooty
    Keymaster

We never expect anyone to share locations, but care to share tactics/depths/conditons that worked for the perch?

Much appreciated!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Welcome aboard!

Many of us at this time of year “Target” perch during the day and catch an accidental walleye. Then switch over to walleye fishing at night.

Nothing better than a batch of fresh perch. Especially from Milly!

p.s. The perch have been hard to find on the East side. So I’ll second Kooty’s comment/question.

-J.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Welcome to IDO and thanks for the report ,keep them coming

PheasantHunter

We were fishing in the Bay’s in 13-15 ft of water in submerged vegetation. They would not touch the slip bobbers. We were casting 1/8oz. jigs tipped with minnows. Last year when we were there. It was fast and furious in 5-7ft of water. But then we were there 2 weeks later in the year. Hope this helps!

kooty
    Keymaster

Thank for sharing!!!

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Does anyone use blind calling during the pre rut or during the heat of the rut, or do you only call to deer that you can see?
    I will occasionally call blindly and have seen limited success with that.

gobbler
    Central, MN

i blind call all the time after the 1st two weeks of season. I will snort wheeze every 20-30 mins once Oct. kicks in. I rattle about every hour and usually only use a grunt call when I have a visual on a deer. I know a few others that swear by the “Can call”. I personally have had limited success but still bring it just-in-case.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I blind call quite a bit. Rattleing and grunting for the most part. I don’t snort wheeze unless I can see the buck. I feel I want to make sure it’s big enough to want to defend his territory. A snort wheeze at a 2 1/2 or younger usually sends them for the hills IMO… sometimes even a 3 1/2. I use the “can” mostly when I can see the buck also. Many times I only use it when I’m trying to grunt him in and he just doens’t seem to want to fully commit. Light rattling (more like sparring) is all I will use before the last week of October. From October 26th thru mid November it’s full tilt on the calling. Especially the second I reach my stand. I will get everything set up in my stand, climb down, and make as much racket as I can… rattle, stomp, break brush, rub my boot on the base of the tree, etc. Then climb up quick lock on my harness and get ready to see who comes in to investigate. On more occasions than I can remember I have a deer under me in a matter of minutes. Heck, I’ve been caught still climbing the tree!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Heck, I’ve been caught still climbing the tree!

Good stuff, I was betting on that!!!

Mark

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Great advice guys. I find the can and tending grunts combo to be the most successful for me anytime after Halloween. I have yet to rattle one in. Because of that I might only rattle twice a year.

walleyejunkie986

I use rattlin any time after Oct. to the end of Nov…. last year i was smashing 2 larger 8pt antlers together making alot of noise like 2 big boyz where in a brawl n had a lil fork buck come running in full speed n slam the breaks right under my stand same thing happened a week later with another small buck 7pt this time but just a lil guy …3 days later same stand smashing the rack together i had the same fork n a 8 come in along with a big 10 he pushed both lil bucks n walked around all cock strong in circles checking every thing befor he caught a nice G5 T3 broadhead to the chest …i blind call all the time ..but watch ur surroundings iv busted my self when calling a few times

kooty
    Keymaster

Welcome to IDO! Got any pics from last year?

joef
    La Crosse, WI

I honestly struggle with the blind calling. I think it is just a confidence thing. When I do blind call, it is rattling with a little grunting mixed in and usually from the last couple days of October to the first week or so of November. I have been told this is a mistake and I should be calling alot more, but what it boils down to in my experience is that I flat out see more deer when i don’t call. I have had success rattling deer in, but they usually circle down wind of me and I have never gotten a shot from it. In the right location/wind I think it can be deadly, unfortunately i have never called one in with that scenario. I definitely bring the grunt call out when i see a good buck that does not look like he will pass by me at shooting range. IDK, most of the guys on here have more experience and more success than I have so I am probably way off!

kooty
    Keymaster

I finally rattled in my first deer last fall. I’ve never had success prior to that, so it’s hard to have confidence in it. I think I’ve grunted in a few small deer, but again with limited success. I’ll have to keep trying til I get it right.

walleyejunkie986

Yeah I got a few pics of him some where I also got his head on my wall ill try to get one or two pics loaded when I get back to town im in north dakota working n doing some waterfowl hunting ..

les_welch

I wouldn’t not blind call/rattle. I’ve found its more effective in less pressured areas (Big Woods areas especially). This buck was killed less than 3 minutes after an INTENSE fight sequence last year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.