Fawns… How early?

• Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

How early do you guys start seeing fawns? I am sure this varys by area. I seen one Sunday and it’s the earliest I think I have ever seen one.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The earlies I’ve seen one was the 2nd week of April. Usually 1st part of May. With the warm Temps in March, my guess in that more than normal were born early this year.

willy_d
    Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada

I don’t think warmer temps or early spring has much to do with seeing early fawns.Gestation for whitetails is 6 to 6 1/2 months.Seeing fawns early is due to Does coming into heat earlier(late Sept./Oct.) and being bred.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

I don’t think warmer temps or early spring has much to do with seeing early fawns.Gestation for whitetails is 6 to 6 1/2 months.Seeing fawns early is due to Does coming into heat earlier(late Sept./Oct.) and being bred.

X2 Weather should be of little impact on drop dates.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I agree with you guys, but when Jigger showed me the pics, I was in awe. It’s hard to believe they are dropping already. What’s that make the rut?? That means this doe was bred in early October. Which could very well be the case.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Last year was the earliest i have ever seen one. It was April 4. This year, i saw my first fawns on april 29

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.