WI???

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It varies tremendously. Some areas high and some low.

I run around NW Wis from the cities up to the big lake. I see with my own eyes and talk to so many other hunters and outdoors enthusiasts to get my information. I try to draw from that information. I’m sure there are good pockets even in my area of the state I dont know about. Its just like Grouse. Some guys hunt the spots with several covies and say the birds are ‘up’ when in fact most people see diddly. All I know is I miss the old days when they were mis-managed in the other direction.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

And I’m sure CP doesnt appreciate being labeled poor and in need of free food to support his family. Whether he is or isnt.

You added the “poor” and “support his family” part. Feeding your family deer meat doesn’t in any way mean the guy is poor. You did the labeling here.

Anywho..back to WI updates.

Yea right.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Since we as hunters figured out that we need to practice restraint 2009’s 9 day gun season was 201,000 and 2010 was 221,000, so our restraint is being rewarded by more deer back on the landscape. I would suspect that this year should be decent as the rut was still going on and with the weather moving in Sat. should have been a pretty good day… I know I still do not hear the number of gunshots I used to hear Sat. a.m. and Sun. a.m. was dead still until what I assume was the church traffic started up… It would be interesting to figure/find out what the hunter success rate was/is???

Mark

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Report from Crawford County. Opening day from the stand was slow. Saw a buck before shooting hours and that was it until i started to walk around. By the end of the day i saw 17 deer 2 being bucks. My dad saw 24 deer and missed a buck. Sunday was about the same for me. Saw another 17 deer, one being a small 5 pointer that i didn’t want to shoot. Dad only saw 7 sunday. I saw another doe monday morning. Plan on going back out tomorrow to at least fill me doe tag.

Thank you for the Crawford Cty report and welcome to IDO!

chans216

There have been several nice bucks shot in Crawford but for the most part I think people are seeing low numbers and mostly doe.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Thank you for the Crawford Cty report and welcome to IDO! And a big congrats on getting some good meat for the family

ap2049

Well color me red. I was being discussed and didn’t even know about it. (Was too busy cutting up and processing deer) My 5 year-old daughter did the wrapping and labeling. You should see the packages that are labeled “Roast-Doe-2011” They are decorated with stars and smiley faces.

Just to respond, a bit, if I may. I like to hunt the big woods of Northern Washburn/Southern Douglas Counties. I do a lot of still hunting and have had some good success. Not because I’m exceptionally good, but do remain mindful of why I do it and what it in return gives me. Many years I don’t shoot. Most years I don’t see another hunter. I like to get way back in the swamps and do things old school with my beater 30/30. This year, my brother and dad were unable to hunt. Opening morning, I saw nothing but a red squirrel. At three, I had a doe just about step on me during the heavy snow. She came from behind and we saw eachother at the same time. I decided to take her at 20 yds. Shortly after shooting, another deer came down the same trail. I chose to take that one, too. A 150 grn hubcap stopped him in his tracks. I thought it was a doe, but turned out to be a nubbin’. So, technically, I only shot one doe. After 3.5 hours of dragging, I returned back to the cabin. Let’s just say one gets really close with his quarry in the dark and pulling him up and down the hills. I celebrated a bit that night with sardines and seagrams. I awoke at 4:30 and decided to go back to bed. After laying there for 10 mins or so, I realized that I should really head back out. So, I did. I got to the same spot as opener just before daylight. At 8 am, a decent buck meandered through a slight opening that I had been staring down for about an hour (I just knew something would have to cross soon). I took him at 30 yds. He didn’t take a step. And so began another tug of war with ‘ol mother nature. I’m still sore. But, I enjoy that way of hunting. It means a lot to me. I take no offense to Suzuki’s comments. He did PM me to clarify things. It was appreciated (actually, it prompted me to read the posts). I have few to zero regrets about how I hunt (all game). This year it was about food for my family and friends. I worked hard and have a special connection to those critters and those woods. Hunting is a spiritual experience for me that many of you can probably relate to.

And, for the record, I’m not poor. I have a great wife, two amazing girls, and a wonderful dog. The dog and I, by the way, plan to do a duck hunt tomorrow. Perhaps I’ll only shoot drakes.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! God Bless!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.